PDA

View Full Version : Hard, airtight, ammo can alternatives

rob_s
05-08-11, 08:50
I could have sworn I started a thread on this before but I can't find it now no matter how I search. In the other thread, the solution I wound up with was the Tactical Tailor Ammo Can Sling Cover (http://www.tacticaltailor.com/ammocanslingcover.aspx) of which I bought several and had pretty decent results from.

What I'd like to find is an all-in-one solution rather than a cover and case separate solution. I'd like it to be available in non-tactical colors, and sized somewhere in the neighborhood of the .30 cal cans of 10 1/2 x 4" x 7". Stackable would be great too.

Seems that some kind of dry box would be best, but I'm not really wanting to learn the hard way that something I order online doesn't stand up to the actual load.

Anyone have any suggestions?

AO520
05-12-11, 02:02
I saw these at a gun shop a few months ago... Good price (I think I paid $14), I like the look, light, stackable, bunch of different sizes, and a comfortable handle. I was worried how it would handle big loads considering it's plastic, but i've had no problems at all. Right now it's filled full of some surplus 7.62x39 ammo. They have an O ring, but I haven't tested it.

Of course it wont last as long as a metal ammo can, but it does the job. So far I love them! Plus no more cleaning out the old ammo cans from the military surplus store!

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/ammocans-ac50c.html

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/dealers-online.html

cbyrd556
05-12-11, 07:23
I saw these at a gun shop a few months ago... Good price (I think I paid $14), I like the look, light, stackable, bunch of different sizes, and a comfortable handle. I was worried how it would handle big loads considering it's plastic, but i've had no problems at all. Right now it's filled full of some surplus 7.62x39 ammo. They have an O ring, but I haven't tested it.

Of course it wont last as long as a metal ammo can, but it does the job. So far I love them! Plus no more cleaning out the old ammo cans from the military surplus store!

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/ammocans-ac50c.html

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/dealers-online.html

I ordered 4 of the MTM ammo cans mentioned above from ammunitiontogo.com, and have been using them for about 4 months now. I know that's not a very long test run but so far so good. I've been abusing them on purpose and other than some surface scratches to the plastic they have held up well. We'll see how they hold up through a Texas summer though, I'm interested to see if the plastic will get soft in 100 degree heat.

aquajon
05-12-11, 08:39
For the money, there is not much (if anything) better than GI ammo cans. Last time I bought them they were $1.75/each (admittedly I bought 2 pallets at a time). If urban camo is a concern, why not rattle can them yellow and put some flower stickers on them?

rob_s
05-12-11, 08:41
For the money, there is not much (if anything) better than GI ammo cans. Last time I bought them they were $1.75/each (admittedly I bought 2 pallets at a time). If urban camo is a concern, why not rattle can them yellow and put some flower stickers on them?

That may be an option, but it presents it's own issues. Among other things many people still know what they are, even ones you think wouldn't, and the paint also tends to flake off and wind up everywhere.

aquajon
05-12-11, 08:55
In my mind, unless you start looking at something like a pelican case, everything else is going to resemble an ammo can. There may be cheaper chicom versions of a pelican case, but will they keep water and moisture out?

If it were me, I would go with standard GI cans and put death metal, anarchy or biological hazard stickers on it just to throw people off. I would call it my lunch box :)

Doc Safari
05-12-11, 10:15
If it were me, I would go with standard GI cans and put death metal, anarchy or biological hazard stickers on it just to throw people off. I would call it my lunch box :)

I agree.

Everyone knows that surplus ammo cans end up in civilian hands. If you paint them with colors, or cover them with decals/stickers that do not suggest anything gun-related, then you have planted the suggestion in an observer's mind that you are using it for something other than ammo. My favorite color was that kind of construction orange. I would then stencil something on the sides like "drill bits".

For years I toted my long guns in a rectangular case with a bright yellow sticker on it that said, "Eye Protection Must Be Worn While Operating Machine". I also carried a yellow hard hat with me and some other accoutrements that suggested I was on the way to a construction site rather than the range.

I did almost feel like a tinfoil hatter or some sort of kook doing this, but my main reason was to thwart a potential burglary by throwing an observer off. I lived in a neighborhood with a lot of break-ins and the paranoia level was high. I never did get broken into, though.