PDA

View Full Version : Glocks-- educate me

Kustom_efekt
05-08-11, 11:23
I'm in the market for another pistol that will be primarily a cc/ glovebox weapon. I currently carry either my ppk380 or 357 snub nose. I am wanting to have a weapon that carries a higher capacity mag than the 8 the walther holds or 6 the revolver holds. I am 6' and wiegh 235 so a full to mid size I can carry/ conceal well--most of the time during winter months I carry a 1911

Enough rambling-- what I am asking is to what is everyones favorite glock and the reasons why. Btw I am looking to spend between $400-600 and looking for 9mm or 40 as I already have two 45s

Thanks for the help,
Daniel

blackboar
05-08-11, 11:31
Probably a good 30% of the posts in the Handgun forums are about Glocks in one way shape or another. They'll all give you a good reason many people choose the platform. IMHO, Glock 19 gives me the best compromise in terms of size, capacity, and accuracy. Though if you think you can conceal a full size, the Glock 17 is hands down the most reliable/durable pistol in the Glock line-up. My advice is to shoot one and put at least 200rds downrange before you decide.

Surf
05-08-11, 11:47
For concealed carry I would chose either the 19 or 23. My favorite Glock is my Gen4 G17.

nobody knows
05-08-11, 15:36
I have a g19, for me it's just small enough to conceal, and large enough to control in stressful situations. It's got 15+1 in the gun and an extra 15rd magazine as a backup.I feel more confident carrying the g19 then any of my other pistols. I used to have a g23 but never totally trusted it, even though it never malfunctioned it just didn't have the same reputation as the g17/19 I also feel that the 40 is an unneeded caliber. If I where to carry any other glock pistol it would be ether the 17 or the 21sf.

DaveR
05-08-11, 15:51
I'm 6'3" and 185, other end of the spectrum. I can easily cc my G19 in the summer months.

Although I like the .357 snub in the glove box, 15 + 1 in the G19 adds to your potential. Lots of great rounds to choose from.

Dave

willowofwisp
05-08-11, 16:04
I am with the others and say go Glock 19, you could also take a look at the 26 if you feel the 19 gives you trouble with concealment.

nhmike
05-08-11, 16:09
Glocks? well prolly the best Combat handgun of all time. They rarely break or fail. It is the most copied Pistol of all time. G19 for me all the way.

I have owned dozens of pistols. Glock for me.

jonconsiglio
05-08-11, 16:42
I'm barely 5'9" and live in very hot South Texas. I carry a Glock 17 daily now after a number of years carrying a govt or commander sized 1911. I wear jeans and a t-shirt or button down almost everyday. Never an issue if you carry yourself correctly.

I like the 19, but the 17 fits my hand just a little better so that's what I go with. I've always liked duty/full size guns over the mid to compact guns. The other gun beside the 1911 I carry is the M&P, though the Glock is with me almost every single day and I carry from the moment I wake up until I go to bed.

Paul45
05-08-11, 18:18
G30SF - 10+1 of .45acp and about the same size as a G19

oldtexan
05-08-11, 18:19
I'm in the market for another pistol that will be primarily a cc/ glovebox weapon. I currently carry either my ppk380 or 357 snub nose. I am wanting to have a weapon that carries a higher capacity mag than the 8 the walther holds or 6 the revolver holds. I am 6' and wiegh 235 so a full to mid size I can carry/ conceal well--most of the time during winter months I carry a 1911

Enough rambling-- what I am asking is to what is everyones favorite glock and the reasons why. Btw I am looking to spend between $400-600 and looking for 9mm or 40 as I already have two 45s

Thanks for the help,
Daniel

Glock 9mms, especially the 17s and especially the 3rd Gen guns, are very good guns IMO. I have four 3rd Gen 9mm Glocks and they are my primary carry/HD weapons.

That said, I note that you are currently carrying three weapons with significantly different trigger systems and types of controls, overall. Now you're thinking about adding a fourth type of trigger system, set of controls, grip angle, and general feel. I don't know your level of training and proficiency, but IMO for most folks I'd think this is increasing the risk of interfering with proper muscle memory development.

If you're thinking of procuring a couple of G17s and then getting rid of the PPK and the .357 then I'd say you're on the right track, assuming you'll do the work to unlearn muscle memory from them and develop muscle memory with the Glocks.

I've settled on Glock 34s and 19s, and a pair of S&W 642s as backups. Trying to develop decent proficiency with more than two general types of handgun is probably more than I can handle.

CoryCop25
05-08-11, 19:09
I have several Glocks but for your needs, the Glock 19 hands down. Not too big, not too small, very accurate and very reliable.

eo500
05-08-11, 19:12
It is hard to beat the Gen 3 Glock 19. I haven't had the chance to handle the Gen 4, but I'm so happy with the Gen 3, that I don't even have a desire to.

caddishatch
05-08-11, 19:20
I have 3 Gen 3 G19s if that tells you something. However, my favorite glock is the G20 10mm. It is the one that is in the car the most. I do a lot of hunting and fishing. I feel that you cannot go wrong with a G23 or G19. I recently purchased a G27 and I love it.

nobody knows
05-08-11, 20:06
Me personally if i where a larger framed Guy(I'm 5'6" 145-150LB) I'd go with the g17 or other "duty sized" pistol. But my size limits me to a point,and that might not be a problem for you. I'd say carry the largest pistol that you can realistically conceal year round. That's why I chose the g19,S&W M&P 45c,and cco sized 1911's as my carry Gun's,because to me they are "duty sized" Gun's.

Nephrology
05-08-11, 20:39
Gen 3 g19 and gen3 g17RTF are IDPA/CCW guns. I like them a lot. traded a 21 for the 17 as 9mm just makes much more sense for me for a variety of reasons.

jstrange
05-08-11, 20:53
I am a Glock guy, but continually find my self searching for something "better". The bottom line is after researching and wasteing money I always come back. There are guns out there that might be better at a given thing, but overall I havent found one with the reliabilty, ease of maintenance, and parts availabilty of the Glock. With all that being said you will be hard pressed to find a better gun for your needs than the 19. Just get one and go shooting until you shoot it well. Good luck.

Strange

opmike
05-08-11, 21:48
3rd Gen Glock 19

Large enough for me to shoot reasonably well, small enough for me to conceal reasonably well. The finger grooves on the Glock 17/22 hit me in ALL the wrong places, and the gen4's are more of an unknown quantity with features I don't deem necessary. As such, I don't feel it necessary to "upgrade."

hearno
05-08-11, 22:01
I'm barely 5'9" and live in very hot South Texas. I carry a Glock 17 daily now after a number of years carrying a govt or commander sized 1911. I wear jeans and a t-shirt or button down almost everyday. Never an issue if you carry yourself correctly.

Yes. No one has noticed my 17 unless I forget to pull my shirt down over it. I'm 5'9" 190#. All I use is a t shirt and an IWB holster at 5:00 You really can't beat 18 rounds of 9mm +P esp since most don't carry a spare mag.

ST911
05-08-11, 23:24
I'm in the market for another pistol that will be primarily a cc/ glovebox weapon. I currently carry either my ppk380 or 357 snub nose. I am wanting to have a weapon that carries a higher capacity mag than the 8 the walther holds or 6 the revolver holds. I am 6' and wiegh 235 so a full to mid size I can carry/ conceal well--most of the time during winter months I carry a 1911 Enough rambling-- what I am asking is to what is everyones favorite glock and the reasons why. Btw I am looking to spend between $400-600 and looking for 9mm or 40 as I already have two 45s
Thanks for the help,
Daniel

Daniel- First, welcome to M4C.

You'll find umpteen threads on your question if you hit the search or look around a bit.

So as to avoid being accused of being unhelpful, few will find the G19 to leave them wanting. Reliability, functionality, durability, capacity, and size efficiency all give the G19 a healthy nod.

titsonritz
05-09-11, 00:20
Hate to be a boring broken record but Glock 19 Gen 3

scott220
05-09-11, 02:00
Glock 19 is hard to beat for an all around CCW/duty/glovebox gun. I have a 17, 19, 26, and a 34 and the 19 is my favorite.

Kustom_efekt
05-09-11, 10:30
So it appears the g19 is everyones fav more or less. My local dealer has a 17, 19, 23,26,38 as well as a few
various xd models-- I'm going to ride up there and check them out after work. I like the look/ size of the 19 compared to the 17 & 26 just to what I've seen online, so we'll see how things go. What is a fair price for the 19?

Nephrology
05-09-11, 11:14
So it appears the g19 is everyones fav more or less. My local dealer has a 17, 19, 23,26,38 as well as a few
various xd models-- I'm going to ride up there and check them out after work. I like the look/ size of the 19 compared to the 17 & 26 just to what I've seen online, so we'll see how things go. What is a fair price for the 19?

New - ~500
Used - ~450

that is both for stock pistols in good condition. with night sights etc YMMV.

Doc Safari
05-09-11, 11:31
I find the Glock 19 grip a little short for my hands. The 17 is my all-around handgun. I definitely agree you should handle both and preferably shoot both before deciding.

okie john
05-09-11, 12:17
The G19 is a great choice. It exactly fills the role of the 357 snub, but with 15+1 rounds and almost zero maintenance. My only complaints are the Glock trigger, which can make for difficulty hitting beyond 25m or so, and the sights. The trigger takes work to master if you're coming from DA revolvers and 1911's, but once you do Glocks are solid gear. Factory sights are fragile and should be replaced before you bet your life on the gun. Factory night sights are OK.

Okie John

Boss Hogg
05-09-11, 12:37
I really like my Gen 3 RTF2 Glock 19 with "fish scales" on the slide. I have never had a Glock 19 talk back to me. I'm a big guy but can somehow shoot faster with a G19 vs. G17.

Put in a 3.5# connector, Warren Tactical sights, and Tango Down's Vickers mag and slide releases, and call it a day.

transition2secondary
05-09-11, 12:42
You can't go wrong with a Gen 3 17 or 19 (esp. the RTF frames) and a Vickers extended mag release. The perfect setup (in my opinion).

C4IGrant
05-09-11, 12:58

Thanks for the help,
Daniel

G19 (GEN 3). Change out the crappy plastic sights, add the Vickers Tactical Mag Release and Slide Release and you will be THRILLED with this weapon for the rest of your life. Great carry and training gun.

C4

Spurholder
05-09-11, 13:26
What Grant said...

/thread.

uwe1
05-09-11, 14:22
Anyone find that they shoot less accurately with a Glock 19 versus a Glock 17?

I have found that at 25 yards, my groups open up quite a bit. My fundamentals aren't the greatest, but I'm trying to work my way up there.

On my G17, shooting 10 rounds at the 25 yard NRA bulls-eye at 25 yards, I'll probably get about 6 in the black with 4 rounds going low left (I'm a right handed trigger snatcher).

On the Glock 19, there isn't as clear of a center grouping. My shot group looks like I'm shooting a shotgun. After I rested the grip of the gun on the bench, the elevation of the shots were more steady, but there was still a very large left-right scatter. I know a lot of this is user error, but I was wondering if anyone else has had these experiences.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-09-11, 16:54
G19 (GEN 3). Change out the crappy plastic sights, add the Vickers Tactical Mag Release and Slide Release and you will be THRILLED with this weapon for the rest of your life. Great carry and training gun.

C4

So I guess the G19 gen 4's are still not ready for prime time since I notice pretty much everybody specifies gen 3 when making a comment about them?

Magsz
05-10-11, 00:15
Its not that they're not ready, its just that they're not quite as proven as the Gen 3's at this point.

I have a gen 4 G19 and have had multiple issues with it but its still a functioning handgun and im not ready to give up on it yet.

Nephrology
05-10-11, 10:52
So I guess the G19 gen 4's are still not ready for prime time since I notice pretty much everybody specifies gen 3 when making a comment about them?

I would give it a year or two so Glock can get the kinks worked out. The Gen 4 improvements look nice, but my Gen 3s never had any problems hitting things I pointed them at. No need to change.

Also, quite frankly, buying used guns makes way more sense than buying new (especially dirt common Glocks like the 19, 17, 23, etc etc) , and there just aren't a ton of used Gen 4s out there.

black op
05-10-11, 11:14
I have carried every Glock there is for the most part and could not disagree with what has been posted so far on th G19 however I have been carrying a 26 for the past year everyday and find that it conceals the best with all types of attire. I have carried this under t-shirts, un tucked button ups, and tucked in button ups and never have to worry about being "made". At first I thought that my proficiency would suffer with the lil gun but found out that I can be most proficient with it. It holds 10+1 and the extra mag is very small. One note here I do not use the finger extensions and therefore shoot it with out my lil finger on the grip(just no room for it). Again it has proved to be a great tool for the size. Just another opinion HTH

Stay Safe

davidjinks
05-11-11, 11:03
OP:

Personally you cannot go wrong with a Glock 17, 19 or 26. Depending on your attire and carry position and body style, either one of those Glocks would be ideal for carry/SD or whatever it is they will be used for.

As for the Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 thing...

I was anti Gen 4 from the get go. Heard all the stories, all the problems, looked at copious amounts of pictures showing those problems...

I finally went out and got one. Actually, I got a Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock 19 on the same day from the same shop with all the same accessories. The Gen 3 is RGW prefix and the Gen 4 is RKK prefix. The Gen 4 is 2 months younger than the Gen 3.

I ran both guns on the same day with the same ammo for the whole range day. I didn't clean either one of them prior to use. Nothing was changed out on them. Bone stock with the anti seize and factory lube. The only thing done to them was after the first 150 rounds they were both hit with the same lube per the manual. After that nothing else was done with them.

Not one single failure from the Gen 4 with any of the ammunition I used.

Basically what I'm saying...just because it's on the internet doesn't always mean it will hold true for you.

Backstop
05-11-11, 19:13
-- what I am asking is to what is everyones favorite glock and the reasons why.

Glocks are the most uncomfortable gun for me to shoot.

It feels like I’m hanging on to a 2x4, my marginally big hands are the only reason my short finger can adequately reach the trigger, I swear I can feel the frame flex, that 2 piece trigger feels wonky, and if I’m not careful with the G19 I’ll pinch my palm during a reload.

But I don’t own guns to feel comfortable.

I want a gun that is very reliable, easy to maintain, concealable, and parts are readily available and reasonably priced.

So to that end, the only handguns I own are G19s equipped with Trijicon night sights

titsonritz
05-11-11, 19:29
I have carried every Glock there is for the most part and could not disagree with what has been posted so far on th G19 however I have been carrying a 26 for the past year everyday and find that it conceals the best with all types of attire. I have carried this under t-shirts, un tucked button ups, and tucked in button ups and never have to worry about being "made". At first I thought that my proficiency would suffer with the lil gun but found out that I can be most proficient with it. It holds 10+1 and the extra mag is very small. One note here I do not use the finger extensions and therefore shoot it with out my lil finger on the grip(just no room for it). Again it has proved to be a great tool for the size. Just another opinion HTH

Stay Safe

I find the 26 only slightly easier to conceal but the 19 a whole lot better to handle.

Quentin
05-11-11, 19:59
I have a Glock 22 Gen 2 but it is fairly large for concealed carry. Pretty amazing otherwise, especially 15+1 of .40 S&W! Guess I should check out the 19 for CCW.

Whtwolf14
05-11-11, 22:44
I've got the 17, 19, and 26. The 17 is decked out in HD setup and under the bed ready to go. I switch between my 19 and 26 all the time for off duty ccw.

C4IGrant
05-12-11, 08:56
Basically what I'm saying...just because it's on the internet doesn't always mean it will hold true for you.

Same rule applies to one guy saying that his gun runs.

Truth be told, I don't put much weight in whether a gun runs or doesn't run based off of errornet posts. I wait to talk to instructors that see them in training classes. This gives a much better picture of how the gun runs under KNOWLEDGEABLE supervision.

The instructors I talk to tell me that if your GEN 4 Glock runs, you should buy a lottery ticket.

C4

davidjinks
05-12-11, 09:49
Same rule applies to one guy saying that his gun runs.

Truth be told, I don't put much weight in whether a gun runs or doesn't run based off of errornet posts. I wait to talk to instructors that see them in training classes. This gives a much better picture of how the gun runs under KNOWLEDGEABLE supervision.

The instructors I talk to tell me that if your GEN 4 Glock runs, you should buy a lottery ticket.

C4

Right, that's the point I made. The ONLY way you will know if the gun will run is to get one and shoot the thing.

HK45
05-21-11, 10:56
Everything you need to know about Glock's. Your welcome.

It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It dosen't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it cost more than you make here in a month.

Glock is already saying that there are ammunition problems. Remember guys, in Glockville it is always the ammunition.

Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol.

Between your faith and my Glock 9 millimeter, I take my Glock

I'm too hot with two twins with no top and two glocks.

My own idea of a $5,500 .45 auto is a used Volkswagon with a Glock 30 in the glove box..."

The police establishment is now properly devoted to the Glock, and this seems to be a good choice. The Glock is a difficult piece to shoot well, and its safety problem has been solved by issuing it with a trigger that only a gorilla would love, but it has been generally admitted that the police today cannot be trained to shoot well - not so much because of time and ammunition expenditures, but because of motivation. A man will do well only at things he enjoys doing, and today's police departments are reluctant to hire a recruit who enjoys shooting. Thus the Glock's "shootability" is irrelevant. The piece is relatively cheap, it is usually reliable, and the company's service policies are outstanding.
- Jeff Cooper, Cooper Commentaries, Volume V, Number 11.

In proper hands, the Glock serves just as well as the 1911 - at conversational distances. And such distances are the rule in defensive combat.
- Jeff Cooper, Cooper Commentaries, Volume IX, Number 12.

JimmyB62
05-21-11, 21:55
I probably need to get out more but other than the two Cooper quotes, I don't get it.

Everything you need to know about Glock's. Your welcome.

It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It dosen't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it cost more than you make here in a month.

Glock is already saying that there are ammunition problems. Remember guys, in Glockville it is always the ammunition.

Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol.

Between your faith and my Glock 9 millimeter, I take my Glock

I'm too hot with two twins with no top and two glocks.

My own idea of a $5,500 .45 auto is a used Volkswagon with a Glock 30 in the glove box..."

The police establishment is now properly devoted to the Glock, and this seems to be a good choice. The Glock is a difficult piece to shoot well, and its safety problem has been solved by issuing it with a trigger that only a gorilla would love, but it has been generally admitted that the police today cannot be trained to shoot well - not so much because of time and ammunition expenditures, but because of motivation. A man will do well only at things he enjoys doing, and today's police departments are reluctant to hire a recruit who enjoys shooting. Thus the Glock's "shootability" is irrelevant. The piece is relatively cheap, it is usually reliable, and the company's service policies are outstanding.
- Jeff Cooper, Cooper Commentaries, Volume V, Number 11.

In proper hands, the Glock serves just as well as the 1911 - at conversational distances. And such distances are the rule in defensive combat.
- Jeff Cooper, Cooper Commentaries, Volume IX, Number 12.

badness
05-23-11, 19:05
I probably need to get out more but other than the two Cooper quotes, I don't get it.

all i know is that the "porcelain" comment is from die hard 2: die harder.

The rest. I don't know.

bubba04
05-23-11, 19:30
I like the factory glock trigger. I guess I am wierd.

usmcvet
05-23-11, 19:48
I would choose a G17 because they fit my hand better. Try the 19 & 17 and see what fits your hand best. Try to buy used if you can. Sounds like the Gen 4 guns are a solution to a problem that did not exist. Grant hit on some good and affordable upgrades to make.

Timbonez
05-23-11, 21:05

Most of them are movie quotes. Some from Die Hard 2 and one from U.S. Marshals.

C4IGrant
05-24-11, 09:28
I like the factory glock trigger. I guess I am wierd.

I like it as well.

C4

HK45
05-28-11, 19:03
Me three. Despite coming from a long history of 1911's with great triggers the out of the box Glock triggers work just fine for me.

HK45
05-28-11, 19:04

"Everything you need to know about Glock's"