PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy: Glock 23c, M&P, XDM, FNH

ntstambo2
05-08-11, 12:55
I'm looking at getting another handgun and am considering a 40 cal. The gun would be used for personal defense but I'm also looking for something that I'll enjoy shooting at the range. My main handgun is monolith heavyweight, but it's a little weighty for concealed carry in summer months. I'd like something a little smaller but not compact. How would the guns I've listed stack up against each other in accuracy? I'm aware of issues with the XD pistols that were reported a few years ago but has the XDM corrected the roller pin and locking problems?

Palehorse08
05-08-11, 21:33
I currently own a G23 and M&P40, and have shot the XDM for my dept. when we were looking for a new duty carry weapon. The G23 is the most accurate in my opinion, followed very closely by the M&P. The ergonomics of the XDM just weren't for me and my co-workers also agreed, but remember we were looking for a duty weapon.

The Dept. went with the G22, and I carry a G27 as a BUG. Off duty I rotate between my G23 and M&P, but I favor the Glock.

Sensei
05-09-11, 00:02
All of these will have about the same accuracy provided that you train enough to get past the FN's double action trigger. However, the Glock and M&P are better known commodities and have somewhat better reputations than the FN and XDM. I'd try to rent them at a local range and go with the one that you shoot best.

BaronFitz
05-09-11, 03:57
At the risk of saying something you already know, I'll point out that if you're looking at the ported version of the G23, you should consider that if you have to use it in low light, the upwardly directed muzzle blast may degrade your night vision. Also if you end up engaging in an unconventional position or close in you may end up getting hit with said gasses. Just my two cents.

RiflemanBobcat
05-09-11, 04:59
At the risk of saying something you already know, I'll point out that if you're looking at the ported version of the G23, you should consider that if you have to use it in low light, the upwardly directed muzzle blast may degrade your night vision. Also if you end up engaging in an unconventional position or close in you may end up getting hit with said gasses. Just my two cents.

Something like this from me, too.
My old agency issued G22Cs as duty weapons, and I noticed upward blast to be particularly a problem in twilight/dusk conditions, and in close-in shooting positions, like shooting from retention and so forth.
I'd've gladly switched to a non-ported G22, even with the known problems of that type.
Oh, and one other thing: after a few magazines, the soot blasted up by the compensator ports will completely cover your front sight, so bear that in mind if you intend to practice and train a lot with a factory-compensated Glock. I noticed it quite regularly with my issued weapon, anyway, and with various varieties of practice ammo--WWB, Remington, and PMC to name a few.

ActiveShooter
05-09-11, 07:01
Out of those in stock form, the Glock does the best for me. Once the M&P gets a new sear it is a toss-up between the two.

ntstambo2
05-09-11, 08:05
Great feedback from everyone thanks guys. I'm leaning heavily toward the Glock, but I need to do more homework on the 23. Each gun has its own issues, but I shot better with the XD (couldn't find an M to rent). I believe the reason for that was that was the shorter trigger travel probably makes everyone a better shooter initially. I didn't like how the gun handled recoil though and my guess is that the M wouldn't be that much better.

I don't have access to a compensated Glock to test but if the front sight will consistently be covered in soot that will be a problem. I'm not going to be using night vision so that's not a concern for me, but excessive flash in my aiming area will probably become very annoying after a will. Regarding the standard issue gen 4 23, I'm not particularly educated on the guns short comings aside from general dissatisfaction with the trigger. I've heard about an issue with custom loaded ammo but I won't be using that. Would you folks recommend the 9mm instead?

BaronFitz
05-11-11, 02:51
I can't speak to the XD m series from experience, but I owned a XD 45 tac for a while. I ended up selling it for two main reasons: the trigger had a super long reset (almost all the way back out) compared to a Glock or 1911 and the top rear corner of the takedown lever spiked me in my weak hand thumb during recoil.

Supposedly they've shortened the reset on the m series (though not by much on the one example I dry fired). I don't know if they've changed that gosh awful corner on the takedown lever though.