PDA

View Full Version : J frame took a swim today...

C-grunt
05-08-11, 21:15
So at a family dinner today one of my nieces decided she didnt need her swimming vest (floatation device) and jumped in the pool. I ended up jumping in to grab her. Luckily we were watching her and she wasn't hurt.

I had my Smith 637 in my pocket at the time. I took it apart as far as I feel comfortable (removed cylinder but not side plate) and let it dry in the sun.

Are their any spots I need to make sure I oil?

Sadly my Android phone was also in my pocket and is KIA. Next week is gonna be expensive:(

telecustom
05-08-11, 21:22
The loss of the phone was a small price to pay. Good job and quick thinking.

kmrtnsn
05-08-11, 21:34
So at a family dinner today one of my nieces decided she didnt need her swimming vest (floatation device) and jumped in the pool. I ended up jumping in to grab her. Luckily we were watching her and she wasn't hurt.

I had my Smith 637 in my pocket at the time. I took it apart as far as I feel comfortable (removed cylinder but not side plate) and let it dry in the sun.

Are their any spots I need to make sure I oil?

Sadly my Android phone was also in my pocket and is KIA. Next week is gonna be expensive:(

Remove the grip(s) and spray every where you can with a good water displacing/lubricating oil and let it set for a while. It will push the water from all of those tiny crevices and leave a lubricating film in its place. Better a sticky film to clean up later than letting the water stay and start the corrosion process.

SHIVAN
05-08-11, 21:48
Let the phone dry in the sun, it might also come back to life. Worked once on a Treo 650 I had....

The gun will be fine, and thanks to your jump, so will your niece.

usmcvet
05-08-11, 22:14
Good Job!

skyugo
05-08-11, 22:21
Let the phone dry in the sun, it might also come back to life. Worked once on a Treo 650 I had....

yeah i've seen many phones spring back to life after a week or so of drying time. i think the key thing is to make sure allll the water is out before you try turning it back on.

willowofwisp
05-08-11, 22:21
I have heard a ziploc bag filled with rice works for water drenched cell phones.

C-grunt
05-08-11, 22:23

Phone fried itself. We got it all dried out but when it turned back on it heated up and died. Its fried.

C-grunt
05-08-11, 22:23
yeah i've seen many phones spring back to life after a week or so of drying time. i think the key thing is to make sure allll the water is out before you try turning it back on.

To late.

ST911
05-08-11, 23:20
Good for you.

When you go after a new phone, don't be shy about telling the vendor what happened. You never know how sympathetic they might be.

For your gun: Optimal course of action is inspection and cleaning by an armorer. Lifting the side plate off to clean and relube isn't a problem if you're careful. Don't mess with the internals unless you're familiar with their placement and interaction.

Again, good for you for doing the right thing.

sammage
05-08-11, 23:48
Good on you for the save; stuff can be replaced.

FYI if a mobile phone takes a dip, remove the battery immediately. Disassemble if you can, then use a heat gun to dry out. Another trick is to place in a ziploc bag with rice...the rice will absorb moisture. Have seen quite a few come back after going for a swim.

akviper
05-08-11, 23:51
Go to the Smith & Wesson Forum and hit the FAQ section. There you can learn the correct way to remove the side plate (you can cause major damage if you do this incorrectly) so you can access the innerds for proper drying.

Another option is to set it on a forced air or baseboard heater for a day or so. A warm dry furnace room will work also. Our revolvers were constantly wet from going into warm moist areas after being outside in below freezing weather. I would lay my revolver on the heater,(unloaded of course) and it would be nice and dried out for the next shift.

Jake'sDad
05-08-11, 23:54
Remove the grip(s) and spray every where you can with a good water displacing/lubricating oil and let it set for a while. It will push the water from all of those tiny crevices and leave a lubricating film in its place. Better a sticky film to clean up later than letting the water stay and start the corrosion process.

Exactly.

Otherwise it'll rust from inside.

chadbag
05-09-11, 00:02
WD40 works very well as a water displacer.

Downside is you need to clean it up afterwards and get a real lubricant in where you need it as WD40 is not a lube.

I have not done a revolver but have done other weapons with WD40 and then a real lube afterwards once the water was out.

RyanB
05-09-11, 00:07
I went swimming intentionally once with my J. The lasergrips took two days to dry. The Gold Dots and revolver were fine.

kmrtnsn
05-09-11, 00:58
WD40 works very well as a water displacer.

Downside is you need to clean it up afterwards and get a real lubricant in where you need it as WD40 is not a lube.

I have not done a revolver but have done other weapons with WD40 and then a real lube afterwards once the water was out.

WD-40 has its uses. Getting the water and chlorine out is priority one right now for the J-Frame. There are very few things that Chlorine is good to.

ColdDeadHands
05-09-11, 06:36
My previous phone, a Iphone 3G was washed in the washer and then dried in the dryer. I let it air dry a few days, charged it and it turned on again. There was soap residue on the inside of thee screen but it still worked. Good luck.:D

DaBigBR
05-09-11, 10:22
Dunked my ankle holstered 642 in a creek on a K9 track last year...actually dunked it twice in two separate legs of the creek. I shook the water out of it and carried it for the rest of the evening. Checked it out at home, made sure it was relubed and reloaded, and it hasn't missed a beat since.

Beat Trash
05-09-11, 11:02
Go to the Smith & Wesson Forum and hit the FAQ section. There you can learn the correct way to remove the side plate (you can cause major damage if you do this incorrectly) so you can access the innerds for proper drying.

This is good advice. It's not all that hard to remove the side plate without damaging anything. I'd do this to ensure everything was dry, then lightly oil anything that needs it.

I'd also take the grips off and do the same.

I'd be as worried about the chlorine as about the water.

It's a luck thing you were paying attention when your niece fell in the pool.

Guns-up.50
05-09-11, 13:55
Another option is if you have an air compressor, you can blast air in the tight areas with a needle tip(one used to fill sports balls), this will help get the larger drops of h2o out.

hochung
05-09-11, 16:35
I'd just soak the little guy in Ballistol, and not worry about it.

http://www.ballistol.com/

it's awesome that you had the snub in the pocket. LOL

ST911
05-09-11, 18:15
Dunked my ankle holstered 642 in a creek on a K9 track last year...actually dunked it twice in two separate legs of the creek. I shook the water out of it and carried it for the rest of the evening. Checked it out at home, made sure it was relubed and reloaded, and it hasn't missed a beat since.

Yup. J-frames are pretty resilient. My ankle guns get submerged or saturated several times a year.

E53001
05-10-11, 19:31
gj bud, now about your fone, if you HAVE NOT TURNED IT ON Since you got out of your initial save swim, there is a possibility that it could work, just sit it somewhere hot open as can be, for atleast 3days before even thinking about turning back on.

Its the act of powering electronic devices after being submerged that fries em, if you have no power, how do you damage anything electrical? This same theory has same numerous phones n such of mine.

(i got kids, girl loves dishwater bubbles and.....The Infamous Toilet)

Semper Paratus
05-10-11, 21:00
After a unplanned swim in brackish water, flipped my yak, I simply removed the grips on my model 60 boiled it in water on the stove and baked at 250 for an hour. Sprayed some CLP down the hammer opening in the frame relubed the crane and ejector star and shaft, loaded fresh ammo and went on my way. BTW the service ammo when shot several weeks later worked fine. Had I been in fresh water I would have simply shook it out dried it in the sun and relubed. Brackish water is bad news.

C-grunt
05-10-11, 21:03
gj bud, now about your fone, if you HAVE NOT TURNED IT ON Since you got out of your initial save swim, there is a possibility that it could work, just sit it somewhere hot open as can be, for atleast 3days before even thinking about turning back on.

Its the act of powering electronic devices after being submerged that fries em, if you have no power, how do you damage anything electrical? This same theory has same numerous phones n such of mine.

(i got kids, girl loves dishwater bubbles and.....The Infamous Toilet)

I tried turning it on after a few hours and I got a weird warning screen that froze in place. Then the phone got really hot and doesnt work anymore.

ucrt
05-10-11, 21:10
After a unplanned swim in brackish water, flipped my yak, I simply removed the grips on my model 60 boiled it in water on the stove and baked at 250 for an hour. Sprayed some CLP down the hammer opening in the frame relubed the crane and ejector star and shaft, loaded fresh ammo and went on my way. BTW the service ammo when shot several weeks later worked fine. Had I been in fresh water I would have simply shook it out dried it in the sun and relubed. Brackish water is bad news.

==========================================

I like that technique. I would hose out the offending water first, then do the rest of your boil-n-bake.
Good idea.

arcticlightfighter
05-11-11, 14:56
Removing the grips an "completely" immersing it in any water displacing oil or petroleum based product (keroscene) is a good start.

I would then remove the side plate, cylinder and crane and then "carefully" dry out with air compressor (being careful to not lose internals), lube, reassemble and function check.

Some other options listed are viable as well.

Hizzie
05-13-11, 10:52
I'd check the S&W Forum for sure. Great info and you should know how to disassemble the sideplate.

BTW after you learn how to do it a little synthetic safe gunscrubber to clear out the action and some Tetra (or you favorite high end lube) inside will smooth out the action.

GNXII
05-14-11, 11:38
Re Cell Phone swim/bath: Remove the battery and let dry for a week or so. Then power up. Also, buy another battery as that one that went into the drink might be DOA but the phone might still be good to go. Had this happen a couple of times and both times I was able to revive a DOA cell and cordless phone doing both of the above. If wireless provider had a warranty on phone it can be "bent" to cover the DOA phone.Query wireless vendor on a "used" or demo phone...the sale people get those in alot and coporate wants sales floor people to have latest and greatest models out there showing the flag. Good luck and great save!

williejc
05-14-11, 19:24
DO you have a blow dryer?

BCmJUnKie
05-14-11, 19:59
Putting the phone in a bag of rice does wonders also. Obviously if its soon after it gets wet...but for next time I guess lol