PDA

View Full Version : BCM 16" BFH Midlength Range Report

SteadyUp
05-08-11, 23:01
I recently acquired this AR. It's a BCM 16" BFH mid length upper, and Daniel Defense lower.

This is the weapon (before I installed the IMod stock):

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l564/BME5101982/AR-15/IMG_1204.jpg

The gun is equipped with a BattleComp 2.0, standard BCM BCG (no o-ring, just as is), H buffer, and Vltor IMod stock. It also has an Aimpoint H1 on a LaRue tall QD mount, and a MOE grip.

This Saturday I spent the day at the range, and fired approximately 560 rounds through the gun. Ammo was DRS 55gr FMJ surplus, and DRS 68gr HPBT match ammo. The BCG was lightly lubricated with MPro 7 oil (BCG rails were coated, but not dripping wet). Magazines used were a mix of 20 and 30 rounds PMags, and Brownells USGI mags, mixed with Magpul and regular green followers.

The 500 rounds were fired over the course of 3 hours, with me working on trigger control (I'm a relatively new owner), practicing shoot from various positions, at various distances(prone, standing, seated), and some random plinking.

I experienced no malfunctions of any kind: no failures to feed, eject, double feeds, the bolt always locked back, etc.

I did noticed that compared to my Colt 6920, the BCM was quicker to get back on target (BCM has BC 2.0, Colt has A2 flashhider). My skill set isn't advanced enough to benefit from this (IMO), but it was noticeable. Of course, the different length gas systems may have played a part as well.

I have a feeling that a large number of folks already know that BCM uppers (and lowers/complete carbines/rifles) are top notch and dead nuts reliable, but I just felt a need to give something back, as I've learned a tremendous amount of information since joining this site. I hope this range report can be useful to someone.

Icculus
05-08-11, 23:12
Nice range report. Glad everything was solid for you

ALCOAR
05-08-11, 23:14
Nice report....is the DRS ammo you shot from Ammunitiontogo.com?

Have you shot any of the 68gr. @ 100yds (groups)?

SteadyUp
05-08-11, 23:32

Thank you.

Yes, the DRS is from ammotogo.com

I haven't had a chance to shoot the 68gr for groups yet, but another person I know has been able to get just under 1" groups @ 100 yds with it, out of an 18" bbl, but not consistently.

I have a BCM Mk12 18" that I'm going to try it out on.

The DRS ammo was good stuff overall. I bought a case of each (55gr & 68gr), and I only came across 3 primers seated incorrectly (backwards). The brass itself was almost all LC, between '04 and '09 headstamps, with some WCC interspersed. None of the primers are crimped, so that makes reloading easier. All of it needed trimmed though.

I'm going to buy more in the future, it works just fine, and it's reasonably priced.

ALCOAR
05-08-11, 23:39
Thanks, I've been wanting to buy some of the DRS 55gr. Vmax for some time. The 68gr HPBT is a great pill for my Rock barrels, however its a hit or miss bullet ive found in many people's barrels.

I really like ammunitiontogo.com, I'll order some of this DRS next time I order with them...gonna pick some BH's 50gr TSX soon as well.

Dutchy556
05-09-11, 00:01
Nice range report - short, sweet & to the point. Configuration, type of ammo & number of rounds fired , type of shooting engaged in, issues (or lack thereof) experienced, touched on your frame of reference, etc... A great example of what a range report should look like IMO.

Nice stick, by the way.

markm
05-09-11, 08:31
Hey, Dutchy.

Is that you in your avatar? Are you the guy with the Rebel Alliance patch on the shoulder?

I get a kick out of that every time I'm looking through the BravoCompany catalog. :D

Dutchy556
05-09-11, 10:56
That is indeed me! Glad you get a kick out of it - the patch is always a conversation starter.

markm
05-09-11, 11:10
That is indeed me! Glad you get a kick out of it - the patch is always a conversation starter.

I bet!!! "Hey, Dutchy! What unit are you with?"... The rebel alliance, of course!

Did you have it custom made? I've never seen one in OD or Forrest Green... It's cool.

jwfuhrman
05-09-11, 11:36

Its my main go to ammo now. It shoots better thru MY rifles (BCM 12.5, BCM 16 SS410, BCM 14.5 Mid) than any other ammo I've tried so far, excluding the 53gr Vmax Superformance ammo, haven't had the weather to try it yet.

The Cat
05-09-11, 13:09
Hey, Dutchy.

Is that you in your avatar? Are you the guy with the Rebel Alliance patch on the shoulder?

I get a kick out of that every time I'm looking through the BravoCompany catalog. :D

Same here!!! I saw that and thought it was all kinds of cool.

Icculus
05-09-11, 14:39
Did you have it custom made? I've never seen one in OD or Forrest Green... It's cool.

Total thread drift but I think its an old TAD Gear patch.

markm
05-09-11, 14:52

:D It'll get back on track.

Dutchy556
05-09-11, 18:08

You are correct, it is a TAD patch. I'm often guilty of showing up at the range in a "tad tuxedo" - patches and all... its a sickness.

I'm not really too sure how to get things back on track from here...

Trident, JW, are you guys handloading the 68gr stuff or shooting factory? What sort of groups are you typically seeing?

ALCOAR
05-09-11, 18:25
Meh...I'm a noob, thereby relegating my selection to factory offerings. I shoot BH's red box 68gr. HPBT. I stopped shooting it as much since I enjoy shooting TAP T2 and 55gr. Vmax so much, but it's easily one of the most accurate pills I shoot through my precision ARs.

Here is a cold bore 10rd. group of it through my SPR...
1 or 2 of the "flyers" to the left are actual re-zeroing from a recent barrel swap/cleaning on a MRP chassis.
http://i53.tinypic.com/2up8k15.jpg

Dutchy556
05-09-11, 19:07
It does indeed look like the BH 68gr is a solid performer... I typically stick with 75 & 77 gr stuff for my precision rig but may play around with some 68s to see what they can do.

duece71
05-10-11, 05:58
Good range report. My DDM4V3 is accompanying me tomorrow to the range and I am going to take all of the dirty steel stuff I can find and let it run. Now that you hve some rounds through, get a case of Wolf or Sliver bear and run that through it, no cleaning, just lube and see what you get. I am sure you will be pleased. Excellent BCM piece BTW.

SteadyUp
05-10-11, 23:58
Good range report. My DDM4V3 is accompanying me tomorrow to the range and I am going to take all of the dirty steel stuff I can find and let it run. Now that you hve some rounds through, get a case of Wolf or Sliver bear and run that through it, no cleaning, just lube and see what you get. I am sure you will be pleased. Excellent BCM piece BTW.

I was thinking about running Wolf or Silver Bear through the gun. I'll have to pick some up some time. I reload my ammo, so it's hard for me not to buy brass cased ammo. It almost feels like I'm "wasting" the ammo. But in the interest of science...steel cased ammo it is.

markm
05-11-11, 08:24
it's hard for me not to buy brass cased ammo. It almost feels like I'm "wasting" the ammo. But in the interest of science...steel cased ammo it is.

I can't condemn a gun that doesn't run steel. Thus, nothing (in my opinion) is gained by testing the doo doo. ;)

SteadyUp
05-11-11, 08:43
I can't condemn a gun that doesn't run steel. Thus, nothing (in my opinion) is gained by testing the doo doo. ;)

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. I don't see a place for steel in *my* little world, not to say it doesn't have a purpose for some.

fireblast713
05-25-11, 15:58
if you don't mind how much did you end up paying for that beauty?