PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 troubles.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-07-07, 10:41
Guys,

Man, what a terrible day. Yesterday I was blasting with my G19 (A Gen three with the beveled barrel hood). I shot about 300 rounds. Early on in the shooting (with Winchester white box) I had a round stuck hanging from the side of the gun port. I ignored it because my gun has gone through about 2k rounds without a jam. Later (about 200 rounds) I had a classic "stovepipe" with Atlanta arms ammo. During this the G19 was tossing brass into my face about every 10-12 shots. During this I rented a Gen II G19 from the range and blasted about 75 rounds. No problems, no brassinface with the rental.

Any theories?

dimmak
10-07-07, 13:14
Detail strip, clean and change out springs if rd count post
is accurate....

Good luck....

Hawkeye
10-07-07, 14:43
You should not need a new recoil spring yet, not just at 2000 rnds. First thing I would check is the ejector. Make sure its not loose, bent, broke, etc.

Sidewinder6
10-07-07, 15:49
You should not need a new recoil spring yet, not just at 2000 rnds. First thing I would check is the ejector. Make sure its not loose, bent, broke, etc.

Thats what I was thinking as well. I might even be tempted to rotate in replacements. Glock parts are relatively inexpensive and easy to swap out.

If you find that you did have an ejector problem, can you post a pic?

cathellsk
10-07-07, 16:44
I agree with the detail strip and clean. Wouldn't hurt to replace the springs, they are cheap. Check the extractor. My old 2nd gen 19 had the bottom half break off and started causing the same problems your having. Easy fix.

M4arc
10-07-07, 19:04
I would look at not only the ejector but the extractor as well. Make sure it's not chipped. It could be the extractor isn't holding onto the case long enough for the ejector to do it's job.

Hawkeye
10-07-07, 19:34
I would look at not only the ejector but the extractor as well. Make sure it's not chipped. It could be the extractor isn't holding onto the case long enough for the ejector to do it's job.
Yup. Forgot about that.

Robb Jensen
10-07-07, 20:52
Guys,

Man, what a terrible day. Yesterday I was blasting with my G19 (A Gen three with the beveled barrel hood). I shot about 300 rounds. Early on in the shooting (with Winchester white box) I had a round stuck hanging from the side of the gun port. I ignored it because my gun has gone through about 2k rounds without a jam. Later (about 200 rounds) I had a classic "stovepipe" with Atlanta arms ammo. During this the G19 was tossing brass into my face about every 10-12 shots. During this I rented a Gen II G19 from the range and blasted about 75 rounds. No problems, no brassinface with the rental.

Any theories?

First get some good qualtiy ammo. I mean like MagTech or American Eagle/Federal or some red box Black Hills. If your gun runs on this 100%, then you've just figured out that it was the ammo.

Winchester White box isn't 'good', Atlanta Arms reloads are VERY inconsistent.

Hawkeye
10-07-07, 21:01
Holy cow. I completely missed the Atlanta Arms part. I'll defer to Gotm4. Get some good ammo and run through it and see if the problem still exists.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-07-07, 22:28
The problem is, WWB, blazer, AA, and Monarch (steel cased) is all I run through my guns for plinking. If it requires expensive ammo to work, I don't need it. My Glock 17, P2000 and P7 all run fine on it. :confused: BUT, I will still take your advice and try it out.

onmilo
10-08-07, 08:12
I wonder if you aren't getting a correct grip with the finger groove frame and are occasionally limpwristing the gun because of this.

I have a 2nd generation non-fingergroove frame Glock 19 that has somewhere in the neighborhood of 25,000 rounds fired through it by me without one bobble or hiccup and I bought the gun used.
My Glock 34 and 26 pistols have the finger grooves but they don't seem to cause problems in those frame sizes, it just seem to be a prevelant issue in the medium frame guns.

I have shot about every kind of turd 9mm ammo through the Model 19 including steel case and it just keeps chugging along.

Heck if they could make steel case ammo that was still inexpensive and actually accurate I might grow kind of fond of the stuff.

Joe R.
10-08-07, 09:46
The problem is, WWB, blazer, AA, and Monarch (steel cased) is all I run through my guns for plinking. If it requires expensive ammo to work, I don't need it. My Glock 17, P2000 and P7 all run fine on it. :confused: BUT, I will still take your advice and try it out.

Do NOT under any circumstances put steel or aluminum cased ammo in your P7 (or crap ammo in general). Buying a $1100.00 pistol and feeding it sh!t ammo makes no sense whatsoever. I worked for HK for 9 years as a contract employee teaching people how to shoot their guns...so ask me how I know. Like gotM4 said, start with some good ammo, see if this doesn't cure the problem.

Make sure you don't have any crud under the extractor of your Glock. While you're in there check it for damage as previously mentioned then check the ejector for damage as well. Also make sure the chamber area of the barrel is clean. Bore brushes do not provide the ideal fit for ensuring that the chamber is clean.

If there's no damage to parts and quality ammo doesn't solve your problem you might need a new extractor plunger spring.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-08-07, 10:01
Joe,

I appreciate the advice, but it is far too late for my P7!:D I have been shooting everything from aluminum to steel to crap I can't identify since 1992. My P7, now on its third re-finish couldn't care less. Well, sort of...

At about 25,000 rounds (about 5 years ago)I sent it back to HK for a refiting. They replaced the barrel indicating that there was enough erosion in the throat area to go ahead and switch it (they said it wasn't there yet, but it was coming). Of course, to me, the cost savings of cheap ammo outweighs the cost of having it re-barreled every 30,000 rounds. Even if I am just saving $3 a box (I am saving more than that) that is about $1800 or so bucks I save.:cool:

The funny thing? I have never broken a firing pin bushing. Although I suspect this has more to do with my habit of excessive cleanliness.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-08-07, 10:37
The beast is the one up front. I keep buying other P7s to replace it when it finally breaks.

http://homepage.mac.com/timetravelfoundation/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-10-30%2001.05.03%20-0800/Image-0A996C5C492311DA.jpg

HolyRoller
10-08-07, 11:06
Winchester White Box 9mm isn't GOOD ammo? It works perfectly in my M9 and Walther P5.

Atlanta Arms 9mm isn't GOOD ammo????? Tell that to the USAMU pistol team and maybe you'll scare them into giving you some of theirs.

Hawkeye
10-08-07, 11:17
Winchester White Box 9mm isn't GOOD ammo? It works perfectly in my M9 and Walther P5.

Atlanta Arms 9mm isn't GOOD ammo????? Tell that to the USAMU pistol team and maybe you'll scare them into giving you some of theirs.

Winchester value packs as found at Wally world, are "ok", but I wouldnt call them "good". One of the indoor ranges here specifically bans it on their range.

Atlanta Arms is, as Gotm4 noted, inconsistent. I also find it to be quite dirty.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-08-07, 12:05
The range owner here hates WWB. He groans about it endlessly. But, after talking to his employees, they have made it clear it is just that he can't match the price. Of course, he sells Atlanta Arms, which I do find to be dirty and inconsistent. But, the price of their .45 is fair, so I buy it a lot.

John_Wayne777
10-08-07, 12:54
The beast is the one up front. I keep buying other P7s to replace it when it finally breaks.

http://homepage.mac.com/timetravelfoundation/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-10-30%2001.05.03%20-0800/Image-0A996C5C492311DA.jpg

That's what is known as "an embarrassment of riches". :mad:

:D

one
10-08-07, 18:43
One of the indoor ranges here specifically bans it on their range.

I don't want to steer this off topic but out of curiosity do they do that because there is an actual problem that they can cite or is it because they want to sell their own ammunition?

I bring it up because before the price rose on the bulk packs I shot countless thousands of rounds of it without any incidents and I know some of the indoor ranges in Tulsa (near me) really push their own ammunition sales.

For the past year I've gone back to my Dillon presses for the majority of my round count.

Hawkeye
10-08-07, 19:26
I don't want to steer this off topic but out of curiosity do they do that because there is an actual problem that they can cite or is it because they want to sell their own ammunition?

I bring it up because before the price rose on the bulk packs I shot countless thousands of rounds of it without any incidents and I know some of the indoor ranges in Tulsa (near me) really push their own ammunition sales.

For the past year I've gone back to my Dillon presses for the majority of my round count.

They sell a lot of different ammo. No one brand. You can even bring your own. You dont have to buy ammo from them. They do have a large ziploc freezer bag hung up full of squib loads, rounds with bullets inserted backwards, a bulged barrel from a Beretta 92, blown casings....etc. All from Wally World Win. value packs.

jeremy54b
10-21-07, 18:58
I don't think it is spring-related.

I'd start with the ammunition, then have a Glock-certified armorer tear the gun down...don't just let anyone do it. Have the armorer complete the inspection sheet and give it to you. That way, if anything is wrong, Glock will fix it...short of you doing something stupid.

Have the armorer check the extractor as well as the trigger bar. There have been some changes and upgrades that have improved feeding and reliability.

Also, you didn't mention if you have any aftermarket parts (connectors, trigger springs, barrels, etc.)...if so, restore those to factory configuration first.

I'd be willing to bet it's ammo-related...but your mileage may vary.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-21-07, 19:47
Thanks!

I actually sold the gun to a person on another forum who is going to sort out the troubles himself! I am sticking with my Glock 17! It loves me.:D

graffex
10-21-07, 22:28
Whats wrong with WWB? I thought thats what everyone used for practice ammo. I've never had a single issue with WWB and thats all I shoot through pistols almost exclusively. Why on earth would the guy at the range not let you use it thats seems silly. I have used MagTech and AE ammo before and it seemed no different than WWB except more expensive.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-21-07, 22:37
I have shot zillions of rounds of WWB through my guns. The problem with my 19 was not the ammo.

Hawkeye
10-22-07, 09:02
Whats wrong with WWB? I thought thats what everyone used for practice ammo. I've never had a single issue with WWB and thats all I shoot through pistols almost exclusively. Why on earth would the guy at the range not let you use it thats seems silly. I have used MagTech and AE ammo before and it seemed no different than WWB except more expensive.

There is a difference between Win. standard white box ammo, and the wally world white box bulk "value" packs.

John_Wayne777
10-22-07, 09:05
There is a difference between Win. standard white box ammo, and the wally world white box bulk "value" packs.

It seems to me that whoever makes the standard white box stuff manages to put a primer on their rounds most of the time.

Not quite the case for the Wally-World value packs, though....

Hawkeye
10-22-07, 09:26
It seems to me that whoever makes the standard white box stuff manages to put a primer on their rounds most of the time.

And in pointing the correct direction..... among other things.

Robb Jensen
10-22-07, 09:28

I've heard but don't know if it's true that Winchester/Olin had a plant with the sole purpose of making ammo exclusively for Wally World.

williejc
10-26-07, 23:03
I have shot zillions of rounds of WWB through my guns. The problem with my 19 was not the ammo.

I know 10 guys who smoke dope in their backyard. 9 whacked off their johnsons and have started hormone shots. The 10th guy kept his stuff at the request of his 9 girl friends.

Failure2Stop
10-27-07, 09:20
I know 10 guys who smoke dope in their backyard. 9 whacked off their johnsons and have started hormone shots. The 10th guy kept his stuff at the request of his 9 girl friends.

Aside from this asshole :mad:

Have you figured out the problem with the G19 yet?

Matt Edwards
10-27-07, 10:04
I own 2 19s currently. It is not uncommon for the brass to sometimes hit me in the top of the head. I'm not saying it happens all the time, but it does happen.
I alway thought it was just Gaston's way of getting back at us for likeing 1911s.
I've experianced more then one "stovepipe" that was parralel to the ground in the ejection port. I recently obtainde a G17 that had some brake in issues. My primary Glock 19 had a slide lock spring brakeage. It had less then 2000 rounds through it. If I did not notice it, and I fired again, my slide would have undoubtably seperated from the frame.
My piont is...don't be so quike to blame everything but the gun. If you have lubed the gun, you have fired different ammo and checked the springs, and you still have a "pattern of stoppages" or problems, It sounds like the GUN is the culprit. Glock took good care of me, no questions asked when my pistol broke. I am in the "Glock fan club".
Try to avoid the "It's a Glock! how could their be any issues" mindset. It is counter productive. If a multibillion doller space shuttle can be turned into a bottel rocket, your $440 Glock can certainly have issues. If you are at whits end, send it in.

Matt

Dport
10-27-07, 10:33
I personally can't get a Glock 19 to run right for me. I never had problems with a Glock 26, nor do I have problems with Glock 17s or 17Ls. But for some reason if you give me a 19 I'll make it malf. It won't happen all that often, and I can give it to another shooter and it will run just fine.

I could never explain it. So I sold the 19 and haven't looked back.

John_Wayne777
10-27-07, 12:27
I personally can't get a Glock 19 to run right for me. I never had problems with a Glock 26, nor do I have problems with Glock 17s or 17Ls. But for some reason if you give me a 19 I'll make it malf. It won't happen all that often, and I can give it to another shooter and it will run just fine.

I could never explain it. So I sold the 19 and haven't looked back.

In my humble experience the G19s are the most sensitive to grip issues of all the Glocks, especially when using standard 9mm ball.

...or your luck could just suck.

I know what that's like. :D

ech01
10-27-07, 12:47
I have personally had problems with the white box from Winchester purchased from Wall-etdrainer..i mean Walmart.. :D

Some of their bullets arent packed right and they're too short, or the Casing is dented...

I have addressed this with Winchester, and i was contacted by a representative whom sent UPS to pick up the bad ammo, and then in return sent me a 20 gift certificate.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/ech01/IMG_0600.jpg

You might not have noticed a bad bullet while you were loading... I always am very cautious with loading the rounds because of these reasons, and I haqve switched to Blazer Brass, another company that Walmart carries

In FL, the white box costs about 16 bucks a box and 2 (50 round) boxes of Blazer Brass cost about 70 cents less...

good luck!