PDA

View Full Version : Titanium lower ?

FMJ556
05-09-11, 22:21
I thought I'd seen all variations in lower receivers, but I just stumbled across this receiver offered in Titanium for the low price of $3500 :

Titanium lower (http://shop.si-defense.com/product_p/si%20ar-15%20lwr-al.htm)

(you can pick the material from the drop down option).

Other than the novelty of the material, I'm guessing there is no real advantage ? I wonder how many have sold.

An Undocumented Worker
05-09-11, 22:31
6Al-4V Ti is some damn strong stuff and expensive to machine. However it would be heavier than an aluminum reciever with no tangible improvement in lifespan. I just cannot see any situation where the increase in strength would be usefull, because any event that would damage a regular lower, would result in other broken parts when using one made of Ti.

TY44934
05-10-11, 08:10
Hmm - Ti lower for $3500?

Or, a bulk buy of about 35 mil-spec Al lowers for about $100 a piece? (realistic rice in quantity). I'd take the 35 mil-spec lowers - provided I had any use for that many lowers.

But, to each his own. Thx for link.

Mr. Goodtimes
05-10-11, 08:42
Why? Improvement and all is great but I see more solutions to problems that don't exist with the AR platform than anything I can think of off the top of my head.

Innovation and improvement is great where innovation and improvement are needed but whats wrong with a standard AR lower? I don't understand why there is a market for billet uppers and lowers and crap like this TI lower. For $3500 I could SAS my ranger with a Dana 44 or build a a nice rifle with ALL the bells and whistles and then still have about a grand left over for ammo... thats a shit ton of ammo. And ittl do the same thing this TI lower does.

JeepDriver
05-10-11, 13:51
They will do a 308 upper/lower combo for $7000

punkey71
05-10-11, 14:05
It's actually $3700....but hey, at that point what's another $200!

Yeah, I'll take 37 std lowers...

Evil Bert
05-10-11, 15:13
Aside from the Ti and everything, what is the word on their receivers? Any good. I am in the market for a new receiver. are they worth that price? Should I go with a blemmed Noveske?

Tortuga
05-10-11, 16:07
Aside from the Ti and everything, what is the word on their receivers? Any good. I am in the market for a new receiver. are they worth that price? Should I go with a blemmed Noveske?

My dad built three rifles using their lowers a couple of years ago. There were some out-of-spec issues on one lower, but the company was very communicative and replaced the problem receiver most rikki tik.

Alex V
05-10-11, 17:38
one word... "why"

K.L. Davis
05-10-11, 17:44
Why do they call him the Sand Spider?

Stangman
05-10-11, 18:14
I'm a jeweler & I can tell you they are really trying to milk that profit margin. That thing is WAAAAAY over priced, that or they need to get a new supplier.

GlockWRX
05-10-11, 18:57
Why do they call him the Sand Spider?

"Probably because it sounds scary."

Nice reference.

badness
05-10-11, 18:57
lol $3700. I'd rather get an sr15, a hk45 and a case each of 5.56 and .45.

mn_mike
05-10-11, 20:41
I think this is interesting.

If you take a block of aluminum and that of titanium, you would be hard pressed to actually figure out which is heavier.

I would say the price is a little bit steep for titanium, but the material is expensive, but if you have worked with it before, it is tough, but cuts very similar to 7075 aluminum.

I think it's neat, would be a very tough alternative to an aluminum component.

Mike in MN

Heartbreaker
05-10-11, 21:04
I'm a jeweler & I can tell you they are really trying to milk that profit margin. That thing is WAAAAAY over priced, that or they need to get a new supplier.

It's very difficult to machine titanium, plus they definitely won't be producing this in numbers outside of the single digits (at least I wouldn't assume there is enough demand to, in fact I'm skeptical if there's enough demand to provide one customer). People have made lowers from wood and old cutting boards, which goes to show lower strength isn't very critical. A titanium RE (might need to be redesigned to prevent flex), castle nut, trigger/hammer/sear, or even a BCG would be interesting for experimental purposes.

Snake Plissken
05-10-11, 21:11
Solution to a non-existent problem.

Stangman
05-10-11, 21:20
It's very difficult to machine titanium, plus they definitely won't be producing this in numbers outside of the single digits (at least I wouldn't assume there is enough demand to, in fact I'm skeptical if there's enough demand to provide one customer). People have made lowers from wood and old cutting boards, which goes to show lower strength isn't very critical. A titanium RE (might need to be redesigned to prevent flex), castle nut, trigger/hammer/sear, or even a BCG would be interesting for experimental purposes.

Trust me, it's still way overpriced regardless of machine work.

Thomas M-4
05-10-11, 22:43
Trust me, it's still way overpriced regardless of machine work.

Yea I have bought cylinder heads that were completely CNC machined.
That is 16 ports, 8 chambers, 16 valve spring pockets , 16 ss one piece valves & billet cnc machined valve spring keepers for less that that one dinky lower.
As been said before titanium is not needed totally unnecessary.
Hell I don't remember titanium connecting rods going for that much.

Suwannee Tim
05-11-11, 12:13
Titanium is not hard to machine with good quality sharp tools, plenty of coolant and a stiff machine. Less stiff machines like a Bridgeport will often see some vibration and chatter but with any modern NC tool this would not be an issue.

TY44934
05-11-11, 14:23
So if you HAVE $3700 to spend, and you agree the Ti lower is no better than a $100 mil spec lower, what WOULD you spend the extra $$ on?

First thing that comes to my mind would be:

-quality optic & mount such a LaRue (with BUIS of course). Easy to spend $1000 or more - depending on purpose

-high quality barrel, bolt, & carrier of course (accuracy is final)

I am sure other folks consider certain parts to be a "priority" & would be willing to spend big $$$ on them.