PDA

View Full Version : Dual Subject: 308vs30-06, Paint

DoomOnYou
05-10-11, 02:28
Ive been shooting my AR for some time now, and ive decided to want to take it up a notch. Im still pretty green to the shooting world. Im going towards Remington 700's. There are some deals going around in my area of 30-06's. It seems that 308's are becoming very expensive. Now i was wondering what you guys think about 30-06 vs 308. My price range will allow for a good 308 but if i can get a 30-06 and still be satisfied i can drop extra on a good scope und rings. Would just like to see your guys opinions on it.

Second: Did any of you paint your own rifles? I mean like amateur style. I want to paint my rifle when i get some rounds through it later on. No rush now but was just curious. Was just wondering how you did it.

Sgt_Gold
05-10-11, 12:01
The only reason to use 30.06 over .308 is for hunting. 30.06 has a larger selection of available projectiles, but that only really matters in the 200+ grain weights. In terms of accuracy, the NRA reduced the size of the scoring rings when .308 shooters started running up the scores. If I were starting from scratch, I'd go .308. Can't help you with the panting, never tried it.

NC_DAVE
05-11-11, 00:42
i just finished painting a rem 710 and i painted my rem 870 last month.
it doesn't look as good as some but it works for me. I manly painted the rem 710 because i was going to try some deer hunting this year and wanted a coating before i went crash thought the woods and swamp with it. plus i got that rifle really cheap so i did mind painting it.

DoomOnYou
05-12-11, 03:20
Well i ended up going with a 30-06. Its a Remington 700 ADL Synthetic. Precursor to SPS (course you guys prolly knew that :P ) I just got out to the range today to get it sighted in and just try and get used to it. Im jumping from 5.56 to 30-06 so its a challenge for a newer guy. I got a great deal on it with a remington scope for $475. So i couldent pass it up.

NC_DAVE
05-12-11, 03:30
are you going to use it for hunting or just range purposes.

DoomOnYou
05-12-11, 03:47
Its a range rifle. Im not much of a hunter. I just love being a glorified hole puncher.

NC_DAVE
05-12-11, 03:51
i got my win 270 for hunting about two years ago. but i just had kids about year and half ago so i haven't found time yet. but have enjoyed my trips to the range with the bolt gun. i would like to get a nice one but can't just yet.

DoomOnYou
05-12-11, 03:54
Yeah i just put my first rounds through it yesterday. So i need to adjust to this rifle. After shooting this beast ill pop 556 like its nothing :)

NC_DAVE
05-12-11, 03:56
how did the glass work ?

DoomOnYou
05-12-11, 04:02
Me being as green as a blade of grass when it comes to precision rifle shooting, i thought it was great. For being a package deal Remington scope i thought it was rock solid. Me being a noob i had help sighting in. Im not afraid to admit i dont know how to do something, but i atleast ask for it to be shown to me. :)

NC_DAVE
05-12-11, 04:05
yeah i am better green to when it come to bolt action and other firearms as well. i had to sight mine in on my own it sucked alot! the glass on mine came with the gun and is a low end model bushnell but i got the package for 150 so i figured it was not bad.

DoomOnYou
05-12-11, 04:10
Yeah now that ive felt the power of the beast:D i need to work on my basic skills. Still VERY twitchy lol

NC_DAVE
05-12-11, 04:16
have you dry fired yet, i heard that dry firing helps cut down anticipated recoil with larger weapons like that. it trains your body not to flinch when you pull the trigger. don't know if i explained that right or not. if not maybe someone can correct me. or just call me a dumbass

DoomOnYou
05-12-11, 04:23
No i know what your saying. I did dry fire practice with my M&P15 before i got some ammo and head to the range with it. Yeah no doubt it will help.

NC_DAVE
05-12-11, 06:19
i did enjoy painting. wish i could find some different shades of green to apply, but it should blend fine in the fall.

jwfuhrman
05-12-11, 06:27
Lots of differences between 308 and 30-06

The .30-06 is a very powerful cartridge designed when 1,000 yd + (1 km) shots were expected. In 1906, the original M1906 .30-06 cartridge consisted of a 9.7 grams (150 gr), flat-base cupronickel-jacketed-bullet. After WWI, the U.S. military needed better long-range performance machine guns. Based on weapons performance reports from Europe, a streamlined, 11.2 grams (173 gr) boattail, gilding-metal bullet was used. The .30-06 cartridge, with the 11.2-gram (173-grain) bullet was called Cartridge, .30, M1 Ball. The .30-06 cartridge was far more powerful than the smaller Japanese 6.5 x 50mm Arisaka cartridge and was still much more powerful than the Japanese 7.7 x 58 Arisaka as well. The new M1 ammunition proved to be significantly more accurate than the M1906 round.

In 1938, the unstained, 9.8 grams (151 gr), flat-base bullet combined with the .30-06 case became the M2 ball cartridge. According to U.S. Army Technical Manual 43-0001-27, M2 Ball specifications required 835 metres per second (2,740 ft/s) minimum velocity, measured 24 metres (79 ft) from the muzzle. M2 Ball was the standard-issue ammunition for military rifles and machine guns until it was replaced by the 7.62 x 51 mm NATO round for the M14 and M60. For rifle use, M2 Ball ammunition proved to be less accurate than the earlier M1 cartridge; even with match rifles, a target group of 5 inches (130 mm) diameter at 200 yards (180 m) using the 150-grain (9.7 g) M2 bullet was considered optimal, and many rifles performed less well. The U.S. Marine Corps retained stocks of M1 ammunition for use by snipers and trained marksmen throughout the Solomon Islands campaign in the early years of the war.
In an effort to increase accuracy some snipers resorted to use of the heavier .30-06 M2 armor-piercing round, a practice that would re-emerge during the Korean War.
Others sought out lots of M2 ammunition produced by Denver Ordnance, which had proved to be more accurate than those produced by other wartime ammunition plants when used for sniping at long range.
Commercially manufactured rifles chambered in .30-06 are popular for hunting.
Current .30-06 factory ammunition varies in bullet weight from 7.1 g to 14.3 g (110 to 220 grains) in solid bullets, and as low as 3.6 g (55 grains) with the use of a sub-caliber bullet in a sabot. Loads are available with reduced velocity and pressure as well as increased velocity and pressure for stronger firearms. The .30-06 remains one of the most popular sporting cartridges in the world. Many hunting loads have over 3,000 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle and use expanding bullets that can deliver rapid energy transfer to living targets.

The .308 Winchester is one of the most successful hunting cartridges in America, and possibly the world. It has gained popularity in many countries as an exceptional cartridge for game in the medium- to large-sized class.[10] In North America it is used extensively on Whitetail deer, Pronghorn and even the occasional Caribou or Black Bear. In Africa the .308 Win is one of the most popular calibres among Bushveld hunters and is used on anything from Duiker right up to the massive Eland. Proponents of the hydrostatic shock theory contend that the .308 Winchester has sufficient energy to impart hydrostatic shock to living targets when rapidly expanding bullets deliver a high rate of energy transfer.[2][4][11][12]
The .308 Winchester has slightly more drop at long range than the .30-06 Springfield, owing to its slightly lower (100 ft/s) muzzle velocity with most bullet weights. Cartridges with significantly higher muzzle velocities, such as the .300 Winchester Magnum can have significantly less drop at long range.

MikeAPete
05-19-11, 11:28
I picked up a Rem 700 ADL 30-06 last week. Shot about 30 rounds before I called it a day. Sholder was sore for two days. I did work on dryfiring. It does help with the flinching

JStor
05-25-11, 20:31
And the .308 is the most accurate of any .30 caliber cartridge ever produced.

a1fabweld
05-25-11, 22:22
I Duracoated my Rem 5R. It came out awesome, but peeled after about a year due to cleaning solvents. I stripped it & just rattle canned it the second time. Touch ups are easy now.

308 is more of a precision cartridge if you are going for long range target shooting.