PDA

View Full Version : S&B Short Dot

Snake
10-07-07, 13:56
Hey guys, I read the sticky on top explaining the differences, but was wondering which one you guys think is the better, the 1.1-4x20 gen 2 model or the 1.1-4x24 zenith le? also, how good is the cqb reticle compared to the No. 7 reticle?

Cyrus

MerQ
10-07-07, 14:27
I think most would agree that it comes down to personal choice and preference. The Zenith LE model has the benefit of a larger FOV. The older Short Dots are FFP and you can range at all magnifications although I don't know how useful that is to everyone. They both have their place, purpose, and applications as a combat optic. The choice honestly is a choice of preference though. There are some things that work better for some and other things that work better for others. I know the last statement was somewhat vague but it's very true too.

UPSguy
10-07-07, 18:03
I like the CQB reticle as it doesn't obscure much of your target. The Zenith LE version does offer some benifits such as no blue tint and a wider FOV but I'd like to see it offered with the CQB reticle.

Snake
10-12-07, 13:48
what does everyone think of the #9 reticle in the zenith LE?

UPSguy
10-12-07, 14:33
what does everyone think of the #9 reticle in the zenith LE?

Are you referring to people that have actually seen one or just looked at the picture? Of the 3 reticles offered on the Zenith LE, that one would obscure the target the most. There was a good thread on the Short Dots in the 10-8 forum. The Zenith LE offered improvments that many liked, including the man that helped design the original. I think many thought that the CQB reticle in the second focal plane of the Zenith LE would be a good combination.

Snake
10-12-07, 14:39
Are you referring to people that have actually seen one or just looked at the picture? Of the 3 reticles offered on the Zenith LE, that one would obscure the target the most. There was a good thread on the Short Dots in the 10-8 forum. The Zenith LE offered improvments that many liked, including the man that helped design the original. I think many thought that the CQB reticle in the second focal plane of the Zenith LE would be a good combination.

I was referring to both.

UPSguy
10-12-07, 14:56
I really like the CQB reticle on my Gen2 Short Dot. If they offered that reticle on the Zenith LE I would jump on it The reticle choices offered on the Zenith LE do indeed answer a concern voiced on the original first focal plane Short Dots. With the originals, if your dot goes dead and you are on 1.1 power the reticle is very hard to see, almost impossible it trying to do it fast. So, S&B listened and intoduced the Zenith LE with a second focal plane reticle that does not grow and shrink like a first focal plane one does. They also used very bold reticles that are easy to be seen in a hurry with no dot. Now it seems like people are saying you gave us what we asked for, but??? In talking with Mark at S&B, he is keeping a list of those who request the CQB reticle or something similar be made available for the zenith LE so he can forward it to the home land.

Snake
10-12-07, 15:22
let me know when he does it. if they decide to add the cqb reticle, I'll be like a kid in a candy store.

Cyrus

UPSguy
10-12-07, 15:32
let me know when he does it. if they decide to add the cqb reticle, I'll be like a kid in a candy store.

CyrusIf you are interested in that you need to email Mark Cromwell at S&B USA and let him know you are interested. He needs people saying this is what they want before Germany will build it.

Snake
10-12-07, 15:40
If you are interested in that you need to email Mark Cromwell at S&B USA and let him know you are interested. He needs people saying this is what they want before Germany will build it.

what's his e-mail?

Cyrus

davemcdonald
10-12-07, 16:41
Which is better is a personal choice.... both are great.

I own a ShortDot LE with a F7. It is the best GP scope on the market IMHO.

Mark Cromwell is a great guy to deal with. He will do you right.

UPSguy
10-12-07, 17:04
This is the email address he has responded to me from: scopes@cyberportal.net

You can also email them straight from the S&B website.

Nick S
10-13-07, 01:09
I also own a Zenith LE w/ #7 reticle. I think most of these "concerns" that the #7 reticle obscures too much of the target are unwarranted but thats just my opinion. Without a doubt it is the finest optic available today. I have owned ACOGs, AImpoints and NF.

Mark from S&B is a class act all the way.

GRSC
10-15-07, 21:05
Would anyone be interested in a Short Dot with a GRSC M4-62 reticle?

vinesr6
10-15-07, 21:53

What's the price.

UPSguy
10-16-07, 03:30
You are asking this in a lot of threads so please forgive me for answering in more than one of them. I wouldn't and for the very same reasons I didn't end up liking the Meopta Kdot reticle. I wanted an Aimpoint bright dot combined with crosshairs.

That being said, what are your thoughts here. Are you thinking your reticle with the bright S&B dot, or your reticle as presently illuminated in a Short Dot?

MerQ
10-16-07, 08:49

For me particularly I don't think it would ideal for me. I think your reticle is fine for CQB but it SEEMS limited for distance shots or those where precision is of some importance. It's not a know on the reticle at all - only that it seems to have a very specific purpose. That said I wouldn't mind a SPR-like reticle in a Zenith Short Dot LE personally.

Steve
10-16-07, 08:54
to busy

EmanP
11-10-07, 23:22
I wondered about the #7 but after using a friends, it actually works very very well. Still, I think I might prefer the CQB if it was available and I know the only reason he didn't get it was the wait was too long.