PDA

View Full Version : Sun Devil MFG. problems

spookydurant
05-10-11, 14:04
Hello all, A while back I had commented on a thread started by Iraqgunz on customer service and the lack thereof. Last year I had bought a Sun Devil upper/lower combo. As I assembled the lower, the roll pins were re-boring holes as aluminum shavings were seen and I was using a DD LPK. I broke a trigger guard ear in the process and touched base with SDM. They basically said it was my fault, said they would repair the lower and they basically gave me a new lower with the same serial #. Sounds great, I know. Fast forward to now.....I got my stripped upper out of the safe to build an upper and I cant even get an ARMS BUIS on the top rail. I have a brand new spare ARMS BUIS, and just to make sure I wasnt messing it up, I tried the second BUIS and still a no go, by a lot! Not to mention the fit between the lower and upper was so sloppy you could hear it! So I have this upper reciever that is basically worthless that I bought last year and I am sure if I called Sun Devil, they would laugh in my face and possibly say that I am installing a BUIS wrong. ***I dont have a personal problem with Sun Devil. Ive seen guys on here that put a pitbull deathlock on certain companies and never let up. But as many of you guys out there, it burns my ass to spend money with a company that produces crap that you get stuck with. If anyone has advice on this, feel free to share. If someone from Sun Devil reads this and cares to discuss it, I would be more than happy and I will add the results to this thread whether negative or positive. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

markm
05-10-11, 14:19
Ive seen guys on here that put a pitbull deathlock on certain companies and never let up.

I do that with any company that outright lies. Oly, LWRC, and C-prod are the big ones.

I'd contact Sun Devil... maybe have someone take measurements of the top rail and give them undeniable facts. If they still stroke you, post back an I'll add them to my deathlock campaign!! :cool:

spookydurant
05-10-11, 14:22
Thanks Mark. I'd actually send them the upper back, but from my dealing with them before, I feel as if they would deny any problems and send me an upper that was different. At this point, I dont even want to use any of their products. I have 2 used Colt upper recievers that I brought home from Iraq that perform better than their new upper.
I do that with any company that outright lies. Oly, LWRC, and C-prod are the big ones.

I'd contact Sun Devil... maybe have someone take measurements of the top rail and give them undeniable facts. If they still stroke you, post back an I'll add them to my deathlock campaign!! :cool:

chadbag
05-10-11, 14:23
Get someone in your area to try it with your 2 ARMS BUIS as well as any other 1913 rail stuff you can find. Video it and send it to them. They will make it right if they are reputable.

And yes, their stuff is tight. I slightly bent the trigger guard ear on a lower putting the oiled pin (ear was supported and no it did not break).

I have two more to go and will probably use the Magpul MIAD Full kits I have in storage for these to avoid needing to put the pins in on the trigger guard.

spookydurant
05-10-11, 14:35
Mark, How far do you live from Mesa?
Thanks Mark. I'd actually send them the upper back, but from my dealing with them before, I feel as if they would deny any problems and send me an upper that was different. At this point, I dont even want to use any of their products. I have 2 used Colt upper recievers that I brought home from Iraq that perform better than their new upper.

MistWolf
05-10-11, 15:47
Contact them about your problems. They may surprise you and redeem themselves. It's also forum policy

spookydurant
05-10-11, 15:54
I have contacted them, but at this point, I dont want anything new or replaced from them. Unless I get a refund or a BCM stripped upper from them, I really cant see the problem being rectified. I will be sure to post when or if I get a response back from them. Again, Im not out to try to ruin their business, but I refuse to settle for sub-par products that are talked up to the highest on a website.
Contact them about your problems. They may surprise you and redeem themselves. It's also forum policy

az doug
05-10-11, 17:22
I have built several guns using their uppers and lowers. I have not had a problem, but I have not tried to install an ARMS BUIS on their upper.

I would contact them about the upper and give them a chance to correct the problem. They may surprise you.

kittyhawk
05-10-11, 18:33
I have a Brand new in the Box that I have had for about 3 years now. I plan on a Build this summer using a DD LPK. I got mine out after reading the first post and found out that it was Dam tight with PMAGS......Man I am Bummed. I hope that the rest of the assambly is not as tight.
Its a nice lower and don't want to send it back.

Dave

az doug
05-10-11, 19:37
...I got mine out after reading the first post and found out that it was Dam tight with PMAGS......Man I am Bummed...
Dave

I'd call them and talk to them about it. I believe they changed the magwell after the P-Mags came out.

ZRH
05-10-11, 20:32
I have a Brand new in the Box that I have had for about 3 years now. I plan on a Build this summer using a DD LPK. I got mine out after reading the first post and found out that it was Dam tight with PMAGS......Man I am Bummed. I hope that the rest of the assambly is not as tight.
Its a nice lower and don't want to send it back.

Dave
Honestly P-Mags are larger than STANAG spec mags because most AR-15 mag wells are larger. I'm betting that if you got an E-Mag it would fit perfectly.

scoutfsu99
05-11-11, 06:26
I have 2 used Colt upper recievers that I brought home from Iraq that perform better than their new upper.

Wait, what? You brought these home......from Iraq?

spookydurant
05-11-11, 07:30
civilian contractor for 6 years, you kind of pick up parts here and there.
Wait, what? You brought these home......from Iraq?

spookydurant
05-11-11, 16:16
I sent Sun Devil an email yesterday and have yet to hear a peep out of them!

hunt_ak
05-11-11, 17:00
Tagged.......

az doug
05-11-11, 20:09
I sent Sun Devil an email yesterday and have yet to hear a peep out of them!

They are in the midst of an ATF audit and Fire Inspection. Contrary to what one might think, they are a small company run by husband and wife. The husband has another full-time job during the day. He goes to Sun Devil at night to work.

I do not have any affiliation with Sun Devil but through my patronage have become friendly with the owners.

87GN
05-12-11, 01:18
My customer service experience with them was quite negative and they won't be seeing any more of my money...given the product, they shouldn't have in the first place.

redleg400
11-18-11, 12:02
I know this thread has been inactive for a few months. I picked up a lower from them before I deployed and ran out of time to put it together.

Do you have any updates on your issues? They ever get back with you?

Iraqgunz
11-18-11, 16:28
He sent the lower back and they said they they fixed it. In fact, they made a new lower and stamped the original serial number on it, installed his parts and sent it back to him.

I know this thread has been inactive for a few months. I picked up a lower from them before I deployed and ran out of time to put it together.

Do you have any updates on your issues? They ever get back with you?