PDA

View Full Version : My best Production classifier (USPSA)

Robb Jensen
10-07-07, 15:59
I shot my best ever Production classifier (CM99-07 (http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-07.pdf)) Both Sides Now #1 classifier and had a Master class performance of 89.2446%

2nd best classifier I shot Sunday was my best ever Production (CM99-11 (http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/cm99-11.gif)) 'El Presidente' classifier I ran it in 7.61sec and ended up with an A class performance at 76.8375% (all alphas)

3rd best classifier I shot Sunday was on (CM99-13 (http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/cm99-13.gif)) Quicky II which I got a B class on at 70.5228%.............These three hopefully will move me up from B class to A class. :) (my average is 71.44% so I don't have far to go for 75% for A class)

It was fun. :D

I was using my M&P9 with factory MagTech 115gr FMJ.

What even made it better was that I haven't shot this gun in 3 months! I did a very small amount of dryfire and a few presentations from the holster yesterday but that was it.

Bryan W
01-04-08, 23:13
I shot my best ever Production classifier (CM99-07 (http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-07.pdf)) Both Sides Now #1 classifier and had a Master class performance of 89.2446%

2nd best classifier I shot Sunday was my best ever Production (CM99-11 (http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/cm99-11.gif)) 'El Presidente' classifier I ran it in 7.61sec and ended up with an A class performance at 76.8375% (all alphas)

3rd best classifier I shot Sunday was on (CM99-13 (http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/cm99-13.gif)) Quicky II which I got a B class on at 70.5228%.............These three hopefully will move me up from B class to A class. :) (my average is 71.44% so I don't have far to go for 75% for A class)

It was fun. :D

I was using my M&P9 with factory MagTech 115gr FMJ.

What even made it better was that I haven't shot this gun in 3 months! I did a very small amount of dryfire and a few presentations from the holster yesterday but that was it.

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to say good going on your classifiers. 99-07 is a neat classifier and El Prez is a classic. I use that one as on ongoing benchmark drill - I shot it the first time at the 94 Limited Nationals in I think 7.80 something with decent points - not sure exactly because I wasn't keeping a journal then - I'm running the same drill now in the low 4's with my Limited gun and around 5.10 - 5.20 with my production gun - decent points are over 54pts - It's all in the turn/1st shot and reload....;)

Keep us posted how things go -

Robb Jensen
01-04-08, 23:27
Thanks Bryan,
I know my weaknesses from worst to best are draws, then reloads, then movement. I'm still learning the best ways to shoot a stage which to me is 1/2 the fun of the game. If I gauge my performances at matches I find that most of the time I'm shooting and transitioning targets as fast as Master class shooters Many times shooting more accurately than the majority of them.

So my goals this year are to works on Draws, Reloads and Movement. Many people I shoot with tell me that my movement looks very smooth so it's probably the least of my worries right now. I do watch myself on video when people have video'd me.

Robb

Bryan W
01-04-08, 23:35
Thanks Bryan,
I know my weaknesses from worst to best are draws, then reloads, then movement. I'm still learning the best ways to shoot a stage which to me is 1/2 the fun of the game. If I gauge my performances at matches I find that most of the time I'm shooting and transitioning targets as fast as Master class shooters Many times shooting more accurately than the majority of them.

So my goals this year are to works on Draws, Reloads and Movement. Many people I shoot with tell me that my movement looks very smooth so it's probably the least of my worries right now. I do watch myself on video when people have video'd me.

Robb

Yeah it's really not so much in the splits - transitions are more important - Stage strategy is key - I'm finding myself making stupid mistakes on this item after coming back from my break - learning that part all over but getting better again.

Good luck this year. It sounds like you have a good plan.

Any plans on shooting the Nationals in Tulsa this year? They just posted them yesterday - I'm going to try to do both Nationals - Lim and L10 this year.

Robb Jensen
01-04-08, 23:37
I may shoot a tiny bit of Limited this year but I'm really working on Production and hoping for a little bit of S&W sponsorship.

Bryan W
01-04-08, 23:42
I may shoot a tiny bit of Limited this year but I'm really working on Production and hoping for a little bit of S&W sponsorship.

Gotcha! Good luck with S&W - They have a good group of shooters - Erine and the group are good ambassadors for the company. Gordon Carrol shoots for them now and he's down in my area - Texas.

I tested the M&P9 for a while this year. It's a great pistol and a great selection for a production gun.

rhino
01-05-08, 11:36
Yeah it's really not so much in the splits - transitions are more important -

That's one of the big mistakes that a lot of newbies and a surprising number of experienced shooters make. They get obsessed with how fast they can pull the trigger (invariably without looking that the sight on the second shot on a target) under the mistaken impression that split times make a big difference. In addition to not helping much, they end up with one good hit and one bad hit (or miss), making it worse.

I can always tell when a better shooter is shooting the stage by the sounds. It's "bang, bang, bang, bang, bang,bang" on close arrays of targets, with transitions virtually the same as their splits. Less skilled shooters are often "bang-bang .......... bang-bang ........... bang-bang" with a long, long time for their transitions.

My best El Pres was 7.91 seconds with 51 points (shooting a 9mm single stack). That was a few years ago when I'd never gone significantly below 10 seconds. My goal for that match was to shoot the classifier in the low 9s with decent points, and I was very suprised to have gone under 8 seconds and had all of my hits (minor PF kills!). I turn around really slowly compared to most people, but I think that day I broke my first shot without my usual delays after turning downrange. I baubled the reload (as usual), but I got back onto the target after the mag was seated more quickly than usual. I remember being dead tired, but I had a sudden (and uncharacteristic) burst of "aggression" when the timer beeped.

I use matches as my practice. I still can't force myself to practice between (or literally for) matches. Which is why I'll be C-CLASS FOREVER! :D

rhino
01-05-08, 11:39
Re: sponsorship ...

A buddy of mine and I are thinking of approaching Golden Corral, Old Country Buffet, and a few other similar "feeding" places to sponsor us. If you put the name of your business on the back of my shirt, people are going to notice it and remember! :D

Bryan W
01-05-08, 17:36
We shot CM 99-12 [Take Your Choice] at our club match today -

My production run was 54pts in 6.35 - Ohio Classifier Calculator shows it as a 100%er