PDA

View Full Version : Which to choose?

ranger7541
05-10-11, 21:02
Alright really stuck on this and could use the help of some experts here. I am not sure which is the better option the Kimber Warrior or full size Wilson Combat CQB Light rail lightweight. Now to throw a a little curve is that I would be using this pistol as a road patrol police officer. And before anyone asks no these are my only two options.

Guns-up.50
05-10-11, 21:08
Wilson CQB all the way. I wont bash series II kimbers but i sold mine for a colt. You wont be upset with the wilson im no self proclaimed expert but i would not buy a Kimber again. The wilson is a much better gun. Why such a big gap in price and grades of weapon?

ucrt
05-10-11, 21:12

Would these be your only options for that mission if there was no ego involved?

Just wondering...

But maybe it's just me...

Ttwwaack
05-10-11, 23:41
My concern besides what I posted in the PM is an alloy frame for a duty weapon.

After being the in service and seeing all the beat up M9 frames I would definetly go for a carbon steel frame over alloy or stainless even considering your enviroment. Parkerizing and Cerrakote is cheap compared with beat up checkering or a SS frame and slide galling.

Service life of an alloy frame is reported to be 15-20K although I've heard of folks getting more.

Magazine selection is critical in alloy frame to preclude follower damage on the feed ramp.

HP design projos are hard on alloy feed ramps and with a steady diet (i.e. free ammo) could wear through the coating and anodizing. EGW makes a replacement steel feed ramp to repar the problem.

Maybe someone here with more experiance with 1911 alloy frames could jump in here and give some clarification. Greg

wetidlerjr
05-11-11, 06:17
My concern besides what I posted in the PM is an alloy frame for a duty weapon.

... or a SS frame and slide galling. No longer an issue

Magazine selection is critical in alloy frame to preclude follower damage on the feed ramp. Easy solution: Use Wilson or Tripp

HP design projos are hard on alloy feed ramps and with a steady diet (i.e. free ammo) could wear through the coating and anodizing. Maybe with 5000+ per year

Maybe someone here with more experiance with 1911 alloy frames could jump in here and give some clarification. Greg

There you go ! :D

GIJew766
05-11-11, 08:46
Ranger

Go with the Wilson. Especially if you are using this as a duty sidearm. Kimbers in the past several years have been absolutely abysmal in their QC. Several range buddies have purchased Kimbers after trying my Series I Custom. Unfortunately, they purchased Series II guns with the Swartz safety and have had several "clicks" instead of bangs each. One friend has since sold his TLE II and bought my Series I off of me.

I have not owned a Warrior, so wouldn't be able to give you a reliability report on it, but I would suggest you go with the Wilson. Give them a call over there and tell them what you need and they'll get you squared away. My CQB-L served me well until I replaced it with a Nighthawk. Ironically enough, the folks at Nighthawk used to work for Bill...

H

Dave Berryhill
05-11-11, 08:58
There is no comparison in quality between the Wilson and the Kimber.

DaBigBR
05-11-11, 09:44
Those guns, as stated by others, are not even in the same class.

If I was going to buy a railed production 1911 it would be a Springfield TRP, Springfield MC Operator, or S&W. If I wanted to step up to semi-custom, I would look at the Springfield Professional (LE price is $2,100, retail is $2,600), a CQB, or buying one of the aforementioned production guns and having it customized.

Paul45
05-11-11, 11:47
One of my carry guns is a Wilson CQB-LT (no rail). I have over 12,000 rounds thru it. Other than change the springs every 2500 rounds and cleaning it regularly over the last 3 years, it has been flawless. All my other 1911's are steel framed.

GIJew766
05-11-11, 14:44
Listen to Dave. He's kind of the resident 1911 expert. Take a moment to read through Hilton Yam's stuff, as he too is kind of a master of Ol' Slabsides. Between the two of them, there is more expertise than most of us would know what to do with.

There are a ton of people out there who know what to look for in a quality combat 1911. Bill Wilson, being one of the options available to you, is hands down your best bet. Call and talk to the folks over there and they will square you away.

H

wetidlerjr
05-11-11, 17:40
Listen to Dave. He's kind of the resident 1911 expert. Take a moment to read through Hilton Yam's stuff, as he too is kind of a master of Ol' Slabsides. Between the two of them, there is more expertise than most of us would know what to do with.
There are a ton of people out there who know what to look for in a quality combat 1911. Bill Wilson, being one of the options available to you, is hands down your best bet. Call and talk to the folks over there and they will square you away.
H

"Kind of" ? :sarcastic:

GIJew766
05-11-11, 19:58
"Kind of" ? :sarcastic:

I thought my sarcasm was easily detected. I mean, between Dave and Hilton, there's what? 60 million years worth of 1911 knowledge? Do I need to mark that piece of sarcasm too?:D

But yeah, Dave's work is stunning and deadly, as is Hilton's. A shame he's not doing orders anymore. I'd have loved to nab one of his pistols of have him work on one of mine. But seeing as Dave is still up and running...

H

wetidlerjr
05-12-11, 01:45
I thought it was kind of funny. :laugh:

Rinspeed
05-15-11, 16:45
Service life of an alloy frame is reported to be 15-20K although I've heard of folks getting more.

You'll go broke long before wearing out a modern aluminum pistol frame.