PDA

View Full Version : HD OTA antenna's?

sapper36
05-10-11, 21:05
Does anyone use one of these antennas? I am thinking about getting rid of the cable company and wanted to know if they work well. I live in Quantico Va so its a built up area. Thanks

Smuckatelli
05-10-11, 21:19
Does anyone use one of these antennas? I am thinking about getting rid of the cable company and wanted to know if they work well. I live in Quantico Va so its a built up area. Thanks

Type in your address here:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Keep in mind the powerlines and rolling terrain could screw with you.

5pins
05-11-11, 09:27
I have been using rabbit ears for about two years now and for the most part I’m happy with them. And when I say rabbit ears I mean rabbit ears. The set I’m using is a 15 year old set I used when the signal was still analog. If you are going to use an indoor antenna then just get a regular set of rabbit ears. The more expensive ones don’t work any better and some I tried worked worse. You are going to have to do the “dance” to get reception just like the old days and the quality will depend a on the where the transmission towers are. Bad weather will also affect reception quality. If you can’t get the reception you like then you may need to get an outside antenna.

The payoff is that you get true HD quality TV for free. My suggestion is to go to Walmart and buy some rabbit ears and see how they work. Play around with them and if you can’t get the reception you want then take them back for a refund.

sapper36
05-11-11, 17:02
Thanks guys. I may have been vetoed however because of the damn TLC channel.

dhrith
05-11-11, 17:46
I looked into this a bit. Wouldn't waste your money on the walmart stuff. (tried it, wasn't happy enough) If I remember right the antenna is basically the same as the old school UHF type. Spend 40min to 80 at the ones from radio shack and get it as high up as you can and you should do fine. Plan on buying the $80 one myself and tucking it up inside my attic.

FYI: I'm about 40 miles from most transmitters in Detroit and it's pretty flat here.

Ridge_Runner_5
05-11-11, 18:23

TLC has become to learning what SyFy has become to SciFi

Smuckatelli
05-11-11, 19:29

Have you checked out internet television?

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/tv-shows.html

rjacobs
05-12-11, 13:42
Wineguard pretty much makes the top of the line stuff.