PDA

View Full Version : Leftie carrying righthanded?

LRB45
05-11-11, 09:16
As the title states, I shoot left handed and in the coming months will get a concealed carry license. What I would like are opinions on whether to go with a right handed holster and practice drawing and reloading as if I'm right handed or would I be better served with a left handed rig?

I have a Glock 19 and shoot it left handed the majority of the time even though I can shoot right handed also pretty decently. However when I drop the magazine and reload I always switch the gun to my right hand. So are there any lefties out there running right handed rigs? Another reason to go with a right handed holster is when my family shoots that they could utilize it since they are all right handed.

Thanks

DaBigBR
05-11-11, 09:41
If you are a left handed shooter, you should probably be running a left handed holster. While it is important to be proficient with both hands, I don't think there is any real advantage to going essentially against your nature and carrying the gun in a right handed holster.

SteveL
05-11-11, 10:07
I don't see any good reason for you not to carry and shoot left handed. This would also include switching the mag release to left handed so you don't have to switch hands to do a reload. This is the weapon you'll be carrying for self defense so it needs to be set up to suit YOU and YOU alone. Letting family members shoot it is all well and good, but they can put up with the inconvenience of left handed reloads IMO.

black op
05-11-11, 10:08
I am right handed however I am left eye dominant and shoot handguns left handed always have. I carry left handed as if I were a lefty. I suggest you carry left handed and reload from your right side. Learn to reload and put the gun back into action with out switching hands. There are several techniques out there to return the slide back into battery. try them all and use which ever feels best to you. You will find alot of different opinions on this so be prepared. All depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

HTH

Stay Safe

LRB45
05-11-11, 10:10
The Glock 19 is the Gen 3 and not the Gen 4.

black op
05-11-11, 10:13
My technique when I reload from slidelock is; use my trigger finger to press the mag release, grab full mag from right side, insert in magwell and seat fully, reach around and over my strong hand and release the slide with support hand middle finger. I have practiced this and find this to be quite proficient. Another technique is to instead of reaching around with support hand use support hand and grab rear of slide and release it there. there are a couple more out there if you are interested. I have a video of my technique in full speed to show that if is gtg if you are interested.

HTH

Stay Safe

LRB45
05-11-11, 10:28
My technique when I reload from slidelock is; use my trigger finger to press the mag release, grab full mag from right side, insert in magwell and seat fully, reach around and over my strong hand and release the slide with support hand middle finger. I have practiced this and find this to be quite proficient. Another technique is to instead of reaching around with support hand use support hand and grab rear of slide and release it there. there are a couple more out there if you are interested. I have a video of my technique in full speed to show that if is gtg if you are interested.

HTH

Stay Safe

Thanks, yeah would be interested in the video!

black op
05-11-11, 10:36
Thanks, yeah would be interested in the video!

I apologize for offering something that I do not have on hand. I just realized that video is on another computer that I will not have access to until the weekend. Be glad to send then.

GlockWRX
05-11-11, 10:55
I'm a lefty and have carried Glocks for close to 15 years. I've also carried SIGs and 1911s on occastion. In all cases I operated the weapon the exact same way.

Slidelock Reload:
Release magazine with trigger left hand finger. Index and withdraw fresh magazine from right hand side with right hand, insert and seat. Reach over the top of the weapon, grasp the slide, pull it all the way to the rear and release. Re-establish grip and go.

Slide Forward Reload:
Index and withdraw fresh magazine from right hand side with right hand. Slide Index finger over magazine so that it rests between middle and index fingers of right hand. Use the thumb and index finger to grasp the bottom of the partially used magazine while at the same time releasing the magazine with the left hand trigger finger. Withdraw the magazine and insert fresh magazine. Stow the partially used magazine.

These procedures work with nearly every auto loader made. I would strongly suggest taking a class from a knowledgeable instructor to help you sort this out.

Guns-up.50
05-11-11, 15:22
i am a south paw as well i agree with most everybodies post i just want to know where you learned to swich hands to reload

Mag release with trig finger insert new mag (right hand) reach under the weapon (with right hand) and depress the slide lock. works everytime and most semi auto pistols are set up in a similar fashion making this a universal teq.

GlockWRX
05-11-11, 16:32
I was in a local pistol match and the course of fire ended with shooting weak hand only. I do my run and the RO tells me to unload and show clear. The gun is in my right hand, so I release the mag and lock the slide back using my right thumb (like it was designed). The RO freaks, saying I should always, ALWAYS switch back to my dominant hand for manipulations. :rolleyes:

Ideally you should be able to reload with the weapon in your dominant hand with both hands or strong hand only, and weak hand only.

nobody knows
05-11-11, 17:32
If the manipulation of the weapon left handed is the problem with the g19 maybe you could try an HK 45/usp 45c. The Hk is a great gun and it's easily manipulated with ether hand.

GlockWRX
05-11-11, 17:45
If the manipulation of the weapon left handed is the problem with the g19 maybe you could try an HK 45/usp 45c. The Hk is a great gun and it's easily manipulated with ether hand.

This is not a hardware issue. This is a software issue. A properly trained left handed shooter can run a Glock very well. Having owned an HK45, I can say there is little discernible advantage to it over a Glock for a left handed shooter.

titsonritz
05-11-11, 19:02
This is not a hardware issue. This is a software issue. A properly trained left handed shooter can run a Glock very well. Having owned an HK45, I can say there is little discernible advantage to it over a Glock for a left handed shooter.

I agree 100%.

titsonritz
05-11-11, 19:19
OP, if you are left-handed, but carry and shoot right-handed = Rock on.

If you are left-handed, carry right-handed but shoot left-handed = FAIL

I carry and shoot either hand. Right-hand I use my right thumb on the mag release, left-hand I use my trigger on the mag release. Left-handed and right-handed I rack the slide as opposed to a slide release (I utilize the slide stop option only). No manual safeties.

blackboar
05-11-11, 19:21
As a lefty, I can attest that speed reloads can be easy with traditional mag releases on a 3rd gen Glock. I use my trigger finger to push the mag release to drop the spent mag; put the fresh mag in; then do a powersweep on the slide to release from slide lock and load the first round. I can also use my trigger finger to work the slide release, but that will adjust my grip slightly. I can also use my support hand to reach from underneath and hit the slide release.

Of all the methods, I prefer and train the powersweep, as I find it is the most efficient for me.

The nice thing about using the trigger finger to work the mag release is I don't have to adjust my shooting grip on my shooting hand. Even right handed shooters will sometimes have to adjust their grip to reach the mag release with their thumbs.

Once you practice it a few times, you'll realize how easy it is. In fact, even when I use pistols that have ambi mag releases, I still prefer the mag release to be on the left side of my gun.

polydeuces
05-11-11, 20:55
As a lefty, used to carry Sig 226 &220, w mag release switched to left hand. Loved them, but got really fed up having to monkey around when loking back the slide. BIG FUN....Right?

Then I got my hands on a M&P and the clouds parted. A truly ambi pistol. (after switching mag release..)
This led me to the conclusion that, as a left-handed shooter, it only makes sense to work with a platform that is fully left-handed (or ambi, whatever), otherwise you will keep having to make compromises. Really.

It may not be the answer you were looking for, but first and foremost - switch to a truly left-handed platform. S&W M&P or whatever is out there.
Carry left, shoot left, with a pistol set up all the way left-handed. No compromises, really

itsturtle
05-11-11, 21:33
I am a lefty in everything I do, but I do all my shooting right handed. Mostly because my first gun was pretty ambidextrous, but came with a right handed paddle holster so I had no option unless I bought a new holster. I just started shooting right from the beginning and it stuck. I think it has a lot to do with being able to reach for spare mags and operate the slide with my "dominant" hand which requires a bit of coordination. My DD came right handed and same thing applied there as well. Now that I have a G19 I am glad I started this way because I don't have quite as many options for switching around controls.

If you've been shooting a while, might be difficult to switch now. But I started right handed and stuck with it.

Wildcat
05-11-11, 22:23
As the title states, I shoot left handed and in the coming months will get a concealed carry license. What I would like are opinions on whether to go with a right handed holster and practice drawing and reloading as if I'm right handed or would I be better served with a left handed rig?

I have a Glock 19 and shoot it left handed the majority of the time even though I can shoot right handed also pretty decently. However when I drop the magazine and reload I always switch the gun to my right hand. So are there any lefties out there running right handed rigs? Another reason to go with a right handed holster is when my family shoots that they could utilize it since they are all right handed.

Thanks

Another lefty here. I've chosen to shoot right handed because just about all equipment is built for the left-brained and finding a left handed edition can be challenging or impossible. I can shoot and perform the failure clearances left handed if I need to. (some more training you will want to engage in)

I suggest you stop passing the pistol to the off hand (whichever that one is) to change magazines. Have the next magazine in your off hand.

For CCW purposes, decide which hand you will feel most confident shooting with under stress and equip yourself accordingly.

You will find that clearing a double feed is probably the most awkward clearance drill to do left handed because it involves engaging the slide stop; which is just plain inconvenient.

Guns-up.50
05-12-11, 06:45
As a lefty, used to carry Sig 226 &220, w mag release switched to left hand. Loved them, but got really fed up having to monkey around when loking back the slide. BIG FUN....Right?

Then I got my hands on a M&P and the clouds parted. A truly ambi pistol. (after switching mag release..)
This led me to the conclusion that, as a left-handed shooter, it only makes sense to work with a platform that is fully left-handed (or ambi, whatever), otherwise you will keep having to make compromises. Really.

It may not be the answer you were looking for, but first and foremost - switch to a truly left-handed platform. S&W M&P or whatever is out there.
Carry left, shoot left, with a pistol set up all the way left-handed. No compromises, really

For me it was the complete oppsite. i swiched my m&ps mag release and hated it so i switched it back. All my rifles and pistols are right handed , glock, m&p, and 1911s. I prefer to have the same method of operation for all my guns so if they all cant be ambi then none of them can. Lets face it most things in this world are set up for righties thats what makes us so good we adapt. To OP Put a vickers mag catch on your glock it should help. Then take a class again this will help.

polydeuces
05-12-11, 08:50
Hear what you're saying - having had to adapt to right-handed guns, I feel we lefty's truly are the creative masters....:D
FWIW - there's something very soothing about finally being able to run a gun without having to figure out a way to make it look like you're not juggling cupcakes and twinkies.

Weirdest thing is, I am left-handed all the way, the ONLY thing I am right-handed withis rifle. Go figure. Which does make for a REALLY fast transition to secondary, but a pain it the ass trying to figure out how to set up the mags and holster.....:blink:

LRB45
05-12-11, 12:29
Well this morining I ran a magazine of ammo thru the Glock and thought I'd give it a try right handed. Distance wasn't great but just wanted to see how I'd do.

The results were outstanding as far as accuracy, could of covered the group with a half dollar. Switch over to the left hand and shot a few and the group was twice the size. Go figure. This has got me thinking about doing more of my shooting with the right hand.

Will definitely keep practicing.

Surf
05-12-11, 23:36
I shot a bunch of vids a couple weeks ago and planned on releasing them a couple every week or so, but since this topic came up I uploaded how I run as a left hander when necessary, but I am a right hander by default.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1kWoKTUPf4&feature=channel_video_title

ra2bach
05-13-11, 00:16
I was in a local pistol match and the course of fire ended with shooting weak hand only. I do my run and the RO tells me to unload and show clear. The gun is in my right hand, so I release the mag and lock the slide back using my right thumb (like it was designed). The RO freaks, saying I should always, ALWAYS switch back to my dominant hand for manipulations. :rolleyes:

was his name Sister Mary Theresa? :rolleyes:

trinydex
05-15-11, 00:22
I don't see any good reason for you not to carry and shoot left handed. This would also include switching the mag release to left handed so you don't have to switch hands to do a reload. This is the weapon you'll be carrying for self defense so it needs to be set up to suit YOU and YOU alone. Letting family members shoot it is all well and good, but they can put up with the inconvenience of left handed reloads IMO.

dropping the mag with the index finger is the best way to reload imo. i've heard of right handers switching their mag release buttons to left handed to drop mag with index finger.

LRB45
05-16-11, 12:34
I shot a bunch of vids a couple weeks ago and planned on releasing them a couple every week or so, but since this topic came up I uploaded how I run as a left hander when necessary, but I am a right hander by default.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1kWoKTUPf4&feature=channel_video_title

Thanks for the video! Seems helpful to me and definitely will try different methods.