PDA

View Full Version : Missoula Montana get ready!

C4IGrant
05-11-11, 12:28
I am coming out your way in July for a week long family vacation (if the state will let me in). :D

So is there anything I must see or go to while I am there? Anyone got a training event scheduled?

C4

Stump70
05-14-11, 09:54
Ummmm, where? Montana is a big place. Technically, not alot of famous Americana spots but the scenery is top notch. Glacier and Yellowstone NP's for instance.

C4IGrant
05-14-11, 10:36
Ummmm, where? Montana is a big place. Technically, not alot of famous Americana spots but the scenery is top notch. Glacier and Yellowstone NP's for instance.

Going to be around Missoula.

C4

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-14-11, 11:17
Some guys on another fourm are having a long range steel event in MO do you want me to link you I dont know the distance from where your going. The national firearms museum is in Cody its worth the trip alone.

Gramps
05-14-11, 12:57
Hopefully we will have better weather then. Just stoped rain/snowing, went to almost 80 yesterday. Glacier is a good place with going to the sun hiway. Have to check deer creek range for shoots in july. Good fishing too. Look for pm later. Need to get back to work.

SeriousStudent
05-14-11, 13:48
Two words, Grant:

Elk jerky. :D

Pity you are not going there during hunting season.

C4IGrant
05-14-11, 14:31
Two words, Grant:

Elk jerky. :D

Pity you are not going there during hunting season.

I am not much of a hunter these days (unless you call using a camera to shoot them hunting). :D

C4

PlatoCATM
05-14-11, 15:01
Some guys on another fourm are having a long range steel event in MO do you want me to link you I dont know the distance from where your going. The national firearms museum is in Cody its worth the trip alone.

Missouri won't help him much.:sarcastic:

My favorite part of Montana was the scenery, especially within Yellowstone. If you get to go, check out the geothermal sites like old faithful, and those smelly mud pits or whatever they are called.

Jack-O
05-14-11, 23:24
We've got a training event scheduled for the 29-31 of July featuring Spetznaz Afganistan sniper Marko Vorobiev teaching his sniper class down near Bozeman (Three Forks actually). the range would be about a 2 hour jaunt down the interstate from Missoula, and it's only gonna run about $500 for the three days.

we got one event every month from July thru October down here and finish off the training year with Magpul Dynamics doing back to back classes in October.

Still getting all the links done up and promo materials ready then I'll slip a thread in for those dialed in guys who want some good quality training in God's country.

platoonDaddy
05-15-11, 07:41
Missoula is the home of the Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation, great museum and self walking tour.

5705 Grant Creek
Missoula, MT 59808

Glacier National Park is certainly worth the detour drive it from west to east and then east to west. Spend the night on the west side of the park and then return to Missoula. Don't miss it, YOU are so CLOSE!

billpete
05-15-11, 08:41
Make sure to hike the "M" on Mount Sentinel. Worth it.

I will be there as well in mid-July for the Missoula Marathon.

Lawdog537
05-15-11, 10:44
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation headquarters in Missoula.
Iron Horse Saloon for a good meal downtown

PM me for more ideas!

Cory

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-15-11, 11:22
[QUOTE=PlatoCATM;998011]Missouri won't help him much.:sarcastic:

My favorite part of Montana was the scenery, especially within Yellowstone. If you get to go, check out the geothermal sites like old faithful, and those smelly mud pits or whatever they are called.[/QUO

Yes good catch I ment Montana

Johnny Yuma
05-15-11, 17:35
Used to drive truck thru there all the time .
I didn't venture much outside of Muralts Family Travel Center west of the city ...

Wallace had a Silver mine tour I took ...

Couer d'Alene ID is beautiful and the scenery between is breathtaking ...

What are you "into" ?

Beautiful scenery for railfanning ...

Johnny Yuma
05-15-11, 17:46
Deer Lodge has the Old Prison Museum if you are into history .... I visited one time when high winds forced my truck to seek shelter off I90 :)

Of course , you need to go see the sight of Custers Last Stand outside of Billings , if you are travelling the whole state ...

operator81
05-15-11, 17:59
Missoula is a Turd, nothing really special there to see. A hour south on Hwy 93 will take you to Hamilton in the Bitterroot Valley. Great fly fishing and a really pretty area. Much more laid back than Missoula. Seeley Lake is also very pretty as is the Flathead Lake area.

Gramps
05-15-11, 19:00
Are you flying out, or driving?
Missoula does have it's share of yuppies, and tree huggers. As well as does any other college town. There is a lot in this state for photography that is why I asked about your mode of trans. There is a good school for photography here, "Rocky Mountain School of Photography". You will be bringing the Mrs and boy's I hope. They will enjoy it here too. U of M's grad was this weekend. Damn near blew "Tom Brokaw" off his feet doing his speech. Hiking to the "M" will get you some picturesque views of the city and surroundings. The museum in Deer Lodge has some good things on the old prison as well as a good old car museum. Bannack where they have tried to preserve, is where the "Vigilantee's" did a lot. http://www.bannack.org/. Great Falls has the "C M Russell" museum. There is a lot here, but may involve some travel. Bozeman has the "Museum of the Rockies" with the Dinosaur stuff the boy's might like. One ticket used to be good for two day's because it took that long to go clear thru it. Sorry you need more than one week here. "Damn, it's all good, just some's better than others".

Johnny Yuma
05-15-11, 21:59
"Damn, it's all good, just some's better than others".

I loved Montana ..

Leave Billings in the morning and could usually hit Spokane , WA ... make a delivery and be back to Missoula for the night .. unless I was dragging my ass , sight-seeing ,.. many times wind gusts in the Livingston area had me parking for a bit .. Big Sky , Big WIND !!!

BrigandTwoFour
05-16-11, 09:26
I'd offer you a tour of an active Minuteman III ICBM launch control center if you could make your way up towards Great Falls, but I will most likely be TDY for most of the month.

If you had come a month later, Pat Rogers is holding a pistol and carbine course in August.

Glacier is definitely worth checking out if you can spare the time to drive up there. It's been a pretty damn cold winter and mild summer (we don't have spring) so far. I don't even think Glacier is open yet, but it should be by July.

threeheadeddog
05-16-11, 18:32
I am originally from MT.

Just a FYI for those not used to the area...CARRY TOILET PAPER in your car. You simply dont know when and where you may be when you need it. It could be a bit to the next gas station. It is important to remember that on roads in MT there could be little traffic at night so if you get stuck you get stuck for a bit. Keep that in mind(btw I am from Glasgow area).

If you are not driving anywhere and just flying in and staying in the city than disreguard the above.

archad
06-14-11, 18:54
You should a day take highway 12 west up over Lolo pass to Lewiston,Id about 200miles then tour the speer/cci/gold dot factory. Do a jet boat tour up hells canyon(look avatar).