PDA

View Full Version : 300 blackout bolt gun

KTR03
05-11-11, 15:03
Hey There,

So i'm looking to build a light, fast handling bolt gun. I'm getting into 300 blackout and it seems like a good caliber choice for such a rifle. I'll be shooting it suppressed much of the time.
My spec is:

Short action bolt gun - ideally left handed but not critical.
Light contour barrel threaded for Gemtech HVT mount.
Conventionally mounted scope.

Given the coownership of aac and remington, I'd have expected to see a factory rifle, but that has yet to materialize. I've also heard that the Savage system doesn't extract reliably in this caliber. One of the guys who does this alot recommends Tikka's. They are new to me.

What are your thoughts?

Polymerhead
05-18-11, 19:04
You can get a light contour AAC barrel for the Rem 700 direct from them. If you find a donor Model 7, you should be able to fit the barrel to it. The 7 is basically a scaled down 700 as I understand. Pop it in your polymer stock of choice and there you go.

I'm pulling the barrel on one of my Rem 700s in 223 and replacing it with an AAC barrel for the 762SD I'm ordering.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-18-11, 19:15
I think they have a gun out already thats all threaded up.

Polymerhead
05-18-11, 19:33
I think they have a gun out already thats all threaded up.

The Rem 700 AAC you're probably thinking of is chambered in 308 Win. People seem to get that one confused a lot. I don't know of a factory 300 Blk bolt action from the big rifle makers as of yet.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-18-11, 19:36
The Rem 700 AAC you're probably thinking of is chambered in 308 Win. People seem to get that one confused a lot. I don't know of a factory 300 Blk bolt action from the big rifle makers as of yet.

Oh maybe

tip2oo3
05-20-11, 05:33
What are your intended uses? A plinker or a "precision rifle"( You are in the precision rifle forum you know:D) I thought about taking the same road in the future but I'm personally leaning more towards an AR for this caliber. I'm not sold that the cartidge was built for precision shooting. A quote from rsilvers on snipershide "I can't say. I will say first and foremost, it was designed to cycle ARs. Reliability had to come first. Bolt guns are popular on this site, but in general, this is all about working in ARs. "

Here is the thread from which I found this particular info http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2488303#Post2488303.

You could also contact Mike at Undergroundskunkworks to see how his project is moving along, he hasn't updated the thread in a while.

KTR03
05-22-11, 14:06
What are your intended uses? A plinker or a "precision rifle"( You are in the precision rifle forum you know:D) I thought about taking the same road in the future but I'm personally leaning more towards an AR for this caliber. I'm not sold that the cartidge was built for precision shooting. A quote from rsilvers on snipershide "I can't say. I will say first and foremost, it was designed to cycle ARs. Reliability had to come first. Bolt guns are popular on this site, but in general, this is all about working in ARs. "

Here is the thread from which I found this particular info http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2488303#Post2488303.

You could also contact Mike at Undergroundskunkworks to see how his project is moving along, he hasn't updated the thread in a while.

I know I'm in the precision rifle section. There isn't a "non precision bolt gun" section. Ideally I'd like to hunt deer with supersonic loads, and have subsonic loads for short range critters. I'll read the thread you refer to . thanks

Polymerhead
05-22-11, 21:50
Ideally I'd like to hunt deer with supersonic loads, and have subsonic loads for short range critters. I'll read the thread you refer to . thanks

I'm in a similar boat. I'd be happy with around 2 MOA out to 300 yds with subs, tight enough to ring the gong at 250 at the local range. I figure it will also be a great supersonic hog round if I start going to TX with some friends of mine for hog hunts.

Basically I need a project as an excuse to play with the reloading press and take up my time at the range, and this seems as good as any. :D