PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Day at Central Whidbey

GitmoSmoke
05-11-11, 15:18
We have several days available for a pistol day at CWSA.
July 16th, 24th, 30th, 31st

Aug 27th

Sep 3rd, 10th, 25th

I like Aug 27th or Sep 10th, but we would have to move around a bit in the morning to keep out of the way of the hunters safety class. we would use whatever range is available untill they finish their practical at noon.

GlockWRX
05-11-11, 18:08
I like the 10th.

okie john
05-12-11, 12:38
They're all good for me. Any thoughts on what we'll cover, ammo/gear requirements, etc.?

Okie John

Peter Panzer
05-13-11, 11:49
Mid (9.10) or late September (9.25) would be the best fit for me.

PieceKeeper
05-15-11, 17:00
9/10 would be fine with me. I could also do any...or all. ;)

randyha
05-16-11, 13:06
Can only do 7/30, 9/3, 9/10.

MookNW
05-17-11, 09:49
9/10 is good for me.

GitmoSmoke
05-21-11, 00:44
Monday evening I'll put our reservation in for September 10th.

kaltesherz
05-21-11, 01:43
Woot! I'm in.

crusader4x
06-05-11, 04:42
I'm in! I was at the club today. Strangely enough there was only two guys there when I arrived and one more guy on the rifle range as I left. I had the entire pistol range to myself. Had a blast nonetheless.

Looking forward the pistol day on the Sept. 10th.

dan1775
06-07-11, 00:29
I'm in.

GitmoSmoke
06-07-11, 01:12
If we will be using steel plates for this shoot, and I expect we will, there are going to be some ammo restrictions. No steel cored or steel jacked ammo can be used with the plates. I'll have a magnet to check. No full power magnum ammo, and no 5.7x28.

GitmoSmoke
07-03-11, 22:56
The shoot is set for September 10th. We are limiting the shoot to 16
1. Mook NW+1
3. kaltesherz
4. dan1775
5. piecekeeper
6. RandyHa
7. GitmoSmoke
8. GlockWRX
9. crusader4x
10. peterpanzer
11. okie john
12. Jeff
13. hid237
14. vader
15. Stormrider (maybe)

Bring the rifles and we can shoot them on another range untill the bays open up around noon.

Stormrider
07-04-11, 02:27
I won't know until the 2nd week in August whether I'll be able to be there.

GlockWRX
07-04-11, 10:23
Put Jeff in for a spot.

hid237
07-04-11, 13:49
if there is room I am in. thanks

BooneGA
07-04-11, 15:16
I head out for a month on the 8th. Looks like Ill miss this one.

Rick

GrumpyM4
07-11-11, 02:55
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does one of these "pistol days" entail? Round counts, cost, equipment, etc.?

MookNW
07-11-11, 09:17
Still working out the schedule, but we're gonna be doing some drawing from concealment, malfunction drills, barricade drills and shooting from cover with movement.
Handgun/3-4 mags min, ff folks are WA CPL holders, their concealment holster should do, along with a single or double mag pouch, eye/ear and other basics.
If anyone doesn't have a CPL, it may be better to roll with a competition style holster, or OWB for red tapes sake.
From what I understand, we won't have access to the pistol bays till noon so I would guestimate the round count from 400-600 to be on the safe side.
We will likely get our grub on some pulled pork or some other masterful creation by Gitmosmoke, so you would wanna bring $5 bucks for that, and the club may require a $15 or so fee for day use.
Basically, it will be badass
We will be performing the days events in a 360 deg bay, which should allow us to do some 1 person area clearing type stuff, which will be awesome. I'm still working out the specifics with the Gitmo as to what kind of barricades, cover, props we can use.
Oh, and bring your rifle for the A.M.

Peter Panzer
07-12-11, 14:20
Still working out the schedule, but we're gonna be doing some drawing from concealment, malfunction drills, barricade drills and shooting from cover with movement.

Thanks for sketching this out Mook. So far, it seems like a good start. Personally speaking, the more work "from concealment" the better. Of course, as you mention, each of us can arrive with our individually suited setups.

We will be performing the days events in a 360 deg bay, which should allow us to do some 1 person area clearing type stuff...

Having never participated in this type of format, how will these exercises play out? Am I correct in saying that the 360 bay affords targets to the shooters front, right and left while a spotter/coach trails behind?

Thanks for all of your effort, spending plenty of time with the handguns will offer a fun change of pace and challenges.

vader
07-12-11, 20:59
im in.

GitmoSmoke
07-15-11, 16:30
If anyone can't make it before noon don't worry you shouldn't miss any of the training. With a rifle match on the long range and hunters safety in the morning we will be pretty limited on what we can do. Maybe an informal bowling pin match?
Right now we are almost at our limit for shooters (filled if stormrider is coming in). So if anyone can't make it please let me know so we can let someone else in.
It seems like everyone on the list has been here before so we don't have to worry about a huge safety brief, but since we are going to be moving in confined ares I suggest bringing body armor if you have it.
There will be a $15 range fee for all of the shoots at Central Whidbey, and if you want to partake of the BBQ bring an extra $5.

MookNW
08-20-11, 12:27
Put me as a +1. My friend Bill wlt attend.

okie john
08-22-11, 11:51
Hey--I'm only coming for the handgun portion. Does it still work if I just show up around noon?

Okie John

GitmoSmoke
08-22-11, 12:01
This is primarily a hand gun only day. If we get a chance to shoot the rifles before noon I would be suprised. The only rifle capable ranges are reserved in the morning for Hunters safety and a rifle match. Maybe after the scheduled training we can hit another range for some rifle work.

okie john
08-22-11, 12:09
OK.

I'll show up at noon, looking forward to a glorious western Washington fall day filled with gunfire and cameraderie.

Okie John

GlockWRX
08-22-11, 13:51
Hey Mook,

Have you set a course of fire or round count yet?

MookNW
08-24-11, 07:57
Should have some solid info this evening or tomorrow morning.:smile:

MookNW
08-25-11, 18:36
Sorry for the delay guys, I've been a busy mofo for the last few days.
Here's what I have so far.
12-1:00: BBQ meet & greet lunch followed by safety meeting/ mag load sesh. People may want to move the grazing period to later in the day, I'm cool either way.
1-2:00:Line drills covering basic draws from concealment and speed/tac reloads (These drills will likely be shot on IDPA style sillouettte targets and get pasted between shooters. We will likely be in 6-8 groups of two rotating shooters), some pistol-training.kawm drills will also be included ( dot torture comes to mind, but IIRC it uses 50 rds, so to keep it cost effective I may skip it.)
2-3:00: Bust out the VTAC barricades, and do some drills rotating 4 or so guys per station. This should be similar to the hell incurred with the barricades last time.
3-4:00: I'd like to do some timed drills to get some guys shooting under a little pressure. El prez and the 1-5 come to mind. We can also do some of these drills head to head which should make it interesting.
Spam is Yummy, especially with Sriracha.
4-6:00: I'm working with Gitmosmoke to get a shoothouse set up in bay 5 (360 degree pistol bay). This will likely include a door to enter, a hallway with 4-5 door staggered openings to mocked up rooms with steel or cardboard threats inside.
This will be constructed of a black visqueen material wrapped around pvc uprites. If it works out as planned, it will be awesome. This will be for 1 man lite clearing scenarios with an armored RSO walking thru with the shooter, maybe timing the run.
Now, as cool as this may be, we shouldn't have 15 guys in line waiting to run the course. I think it would be good to have another moving and shooting event in bay 3 or 4 to split the group up a little. We can use barrels and some of the barricades to make a course for that on pretty easily, as that bay is pretty small compared to 5.
I'm open to suggestions.
As for the round count I think we may break 300 with no rifle drills scheduled.
I'd bring 4-500 if you can. We may end up flying thru the shit, but as a wise friend once said, If you shoot 4-500 rds in a day, you reach a point where you're no learning anymore.

This post has been written with the assumption that everyone coming has some basic and fundamental handgun skills, as well as the gear to get them through the day. If you have any q's hit me up in this thread or pm. Whatever you want.
-Mook

What's the food plan?

Peter Panzer
08-25-11, 19:33
Thanks for posting this up and getting us organized Mook.

12-1:00: BBQ meet & greet lunch followed by safety meeting/ mag load sesh.

Any chance we could move this earlier in the day, say 11am-12pm or are the CWSA long gun folks utilizing the clubhouse in the morning? Thought being, we could maximize our allocated range time.

...shoothouse set up in bay 5 (360 degree pistol bay). This will likely include a door to enter, a hallway with 4-5 door staggered openings to mocked up rooms with steel or cardboard threats inside.

This has potential. Do we know if there is anyone in the group with room clearing training/experience using handguns who can point out proper techniques?

Spam is Yummy, especially with Sriracha.

You just tossed that in to see who was paying attention didn't 'cha?

GitmoSmoke
08-25-11, 21:48
There is a hunters safety class running from 0900 to 1200. That is the reason we are starting as late as we are. If anyone wants to show up early let me know, I'll probably be there anyway getting ready.
My plan for the food is smoking a few pork shoulders and maybe a brisket if I can find a decent one. If anyone wants me make somthing else let me know and I'll see what I can come up with. If someone could pick to up a few packages of buns that would help me out.
I also have a set of level IIA ballistic panels for sale. $80 and they are yours, but you will need a carrier.

dan1775
08-26-11, 11:09
Sounds like another great time. I'll bring my "HSLD" (thanks Peter!) dutch ovens and turn out some cannonballs, AKA biscuits. I think a peach cobbler might be in order as well.

I'm bringing a P226 this time. I spent as much time reloading as shooting with the P220 at our rifle shoot.

GitmoSmoke
08-27-11, 17:14
The list is as folows. We have room for 4 more shooters . If anyone wants to bring a buddy let me know so I can get them on the list.
1. Mook NW
2. thecarfarmer
3. kaltesherz
4. dan1775
5. piecekeeper
6. RandyHa
7. GitmoSmoke
8. GlockWRX
9. crusader4x
10. peterpanzer
11. okie john
12. hid237
A final reminder. We are going to be using steel targets for the majority of the shooting and that means NO STEEL JACKETED or STEEL CORED AMMO. I'll have a magnet to check. I know Wolf and Tula both use steel jackets so find somthing else. Wrap around eye protection and brimmed hats are going to be mandatory for this shoot.

Stormrider
08-28-11, 01:10
Sorry Gitmo. I thought I'd posted that I won't be able to be there. My mistake. I've got a grandson's birthday and a weekend of work... (sigh)

vader
08-28-11, 18:10
hey guys, dont think im going to make this one. sorry.

GlockWRX
08-29-11, 08:43
My buddy Jeff just told me he is out as well.

Peter Panzer
08-29-11, 14:59
Gitmo:
I can show up an hour early (11am) to help set up if there is still a need.

Also, there was a point where you were recommending folks bring body armor as an added safety measure, is this still something you are encouraging?

thecarfarmer
08-29-11, 20:15
Hi everyone, I'm the "+1" that Mook was talkin' 'bout... just got my account activated today; thought I'd post up a short 'hello' here.

Looking forward to seeing Gitmo Smoke again, and meeting the rest of y'all.

BTW, what's the deal, Mook?

12-1:00: BBQ meet & greet lunch followed by safety meeting/ mag load sesh. People may want to move the grazing period to later in the day, I'm cool either way.

Who says we have to limit ourselves to one meal? Just sayin'...

-Bill

GitmoSmoke
08-30-11, 19:57
I am sure I'll be at the range by 10am, so whoever wants to show early can, but I don't know if there will be much to do.
Body armor is going to be used when we get the 360 degree bay set for the room clearing. We aren't teaching room clearing, this is to give you a feel for how it might go if you had to do this for real.

randyha
09-05-11, 16:36
The list is as folows. We have room for 4 more shooters . If anyone wants to bring a buddy let me know so I can get them on the list.
1. Mook NW
2. thecarfarmer
3. kaltesherz
4. dan1775
5. piecekeeper
6. RandyHa......TBD
7. GitmoSmoke
8. GlockWRX
9. crusader4x
10. peterpanzer
11. okie john
12. hid237

It appears that I will likely not be able to attend, unless I can be there for only a couple of hours. If I can make it at all, it will be only for a narrow window of 2 hours, 12:00 - 2:00. Too many ropes around my neck pulling from too many directions.

okie john
09-08-11, 18:13
I'll try to get there early and help set up.

Okie John

GitmoSmoke
09-08-11, 19:32
There really isn't a need for anyone to show up before 1100. The only big thing we are setting up is the shoot house and Mook and I should have everything ready the night before. Only other thing is getting the steel out of the shed and that will only take a few minutes. If you have a can of white spray paint, bring it to paint your target.
The pork is out of the freezer and ready to go in the smoker tomorrow.

PieceKeeper
09-09-11, 14:56
I'm out.

Sorry for the late notice but I'm stuck moving this weekend.

dan1775
09-09-11, 21:07
Ride sharing? I have a SuperCrew pickup that could hold four or five in addition to myself.

Also, anybody bringing carbines?

MookNW
09-10-11, 01:06
See y'all tomorrow.

dan1775
09-10-11, 12:06
My day has turned into a goatf*** and I'm not going to make it. Apologies to all.

MookNW
09-11-11, 18:02
Good stuff.
I had a good time yall.
Thanks for making it out.
I'm in the process of creating a you-tube channel for us to view the videos on. This will only be viewable by m4c members who have attended a PNW shoot for privacy reasons.
If you have attended a PNWM4C shoot, pm me your youtube username, and I'll add you to the list of people who can view the videos.
If that's not enough op-sec for you, let me know that you don't want any videos of you on this channel.
Remember, this will only be viewable to people who have attended one of our shoots on the island.
That being said, someone start a thread for the next shoot. :shout:

Peter Panzer
09-16-11, 14:48
Reckon I better get in a quick word of appreciation before the site's server gets whacked...again.

Cheers for Mook and Gitmo - these guys put in a lot of extra effort to provide what was, for several of us, a first time experience with the "shoot house" mock up. As always, a good emphasis on safety was present and personally speaking, several lessons were learned.

Additional thanks to kaltesherz and GlockWRX for sharing tips and advice throughout the day - this is largely what brings genuine value to the event and separates it from "just another day at the range."

Here's looking forward to the next go 'round later this fall!

MookNW
09-18-11, 12:27
A)As I see it, if we want restricted (no-one but PNW members) access to the videos, you'll have to click a link to view them and be logged into youtube. We cannot have a members only youtube channel. :suicide2:
B)The videos could also be unlisted, which means anyone with the link could view them, no restricted access, also can't be on a channel.
C)If we want a youtube channel, it has to be viewable by everyone.
It would be cool if we could have our own channel with members only access. But for privacy reasons option A is the best for us unless there is a group conscience to go with B or C.
It will take me a little while to get all the vids mailed out to everyone, when that's done, and everyones username/email is tagged, I'll put a post with all the links up, they will only be viewable by you guys.

Additionally, this new google+ thing coming out may have features like what we want, but it ain't out yet.
Please stand by for more vids.