PDA

View Full Version : Stag Arms SA-8 Range Test

edr9x23super
05-11-11, 15:55
Howdy folks; just thought I would make my first post a range test of an AR I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I have had various ARs over the years from Colt SP1s to DPMS to Bushmasters, but this was a deal I couldn't pass up. So here goes:

I went through an initial 200 rounds of ammo getting the Eotech 512 I bought zeroed, checked the zero on the flip-up irons (they claim this was done at the factory), made some minor adjustments, then I proceeded to run some drills with the gun. I went through another 200 rounds during this process, which I picked up dirt from the range and tossed it into the action, shook it out, racked the slide several times, loaded a magazine and rocked on. The trigger was the biggest surprise. I measured mine at around 5 lbs out of the box, with zero creep that broke like glass. Very predictable. During the entire test/drills portion, not one single hiccup or failure to feed, even with dirt being deliberately tossed at the action. After that I fired several groups, with the best being posted in the photos. My only complaint was with the collapsible stock, it seemed to slip off my shoulder quite a bit.

I cured that problem with an order from MAGPUL, where I got the full MOE handguards/Stock/pistol grip/vertical grip and rail kit, all relatively inexpensive stuff (around 100$) which dressed the model 8 up nicely and completely changed the way it feels now. I will fire another set of groupings and post them if the groups get tighter.

As for cleaning, it was as expected; yes, there was dirt in the chamber from my deliberate actions, but I cleaned the gun immediately after doing that test, then fired another 100 rounds through it to see what happened with normal use. As expected, the chamber area did not have the normal fouling associated with a DI gun, and of course, the piston area was where all the fouling ended up. Overall, cleaning with this gun seemed much easier than my other ARs, despite the extra disassembly required with the piston gun.

So, in summary:

The total test was 500 rounds. I picked up the gun from the dealer (I ordered this gun online and did the paperwork locally) and headed straight for the range; I only lightly lubed the bolt carrier area with castrol syntech, my normal gun lube. Then 200 rounds for zeroing and functioning, then another 200 rounds running shooting/reloading drills with attempts to foul the action and jam it. Then a basic cleaning of the bolt carrier area, then another 100 rounds. No failures of any kind.

I paid $1025.00 for this gun that came with flip-up irons. $400.00 roughly for the EOtech; another $100.00 for the MOE equipment from MAGPUL. I could not find any other gas piston AR for that kind of money. I know folks on AR-15.com and other places all told me that this model was considered a "mid-range" AR, and I could do much better elsewhere for less money, but after shooting it, I don't think so.....

Accuracy with the irons was as expected, and I am not very good with black irons anymore due to diabetes damage to my eyes and laser surgery, but with the Eotech, I was able to cover all my groups with a dime. That is fantastic accuracy out of the box; now that I have the right stock, I hope to if I can wrangle MOA accuracy out of it when I head back to the range, so I will keep everyone posted. I have attached a couple of pics, so enjoy. The first pic is the best group I shot at the end of the day, the second is the gun before I put on the MAGPUL equipment and the last one after. The last 2 mods I plan are to put a better flash hider/comp on and get a good sling (any suggestions here??)....

My final opinion - This gun is a pretty good buy, and after trying to foul it up with dirt pretty impressed. I know I could never have done that with any of the ARs I used for 3-gun or otherwise 15 years ago....

txbrenek
05-11-11, 20:09
Congrats sounds like you had fun and have a good AR rifle ;)

edr9x23super
05-11-11, 21:17
Thanks, I am hoping so..... Several more trips to the range will tell; one of the IDPA clubs in my area loves to host carbine matches and several matches the hold in the summer months are night matches, so I am settling on a good combat light setup for those.... Ah, the fun of building up a new gun......