PDA

View Full Version : Full-Auto Advice

MikeCLeonard
05-11-11, 21:01
I'm strongly considering the purchase of a DIAS, and was hoping to have some current MG owners chime in with their opinions on this type of purchase.

First of all, I've been considering a sear for my MP5 and a Colt RR, but have decided 100% that a DIAS would suit my liking the most...so that's not in contention.

What is making me pause most is that 1: It's a helluva lot of money 2: I'd have to sell a few other firearms to get one(although they are kinda just range-toys as well...and also not real practical parts of my collection), and 3: I'm concerned that the novelty will wear off.

Anyhow...just hoping to get some feedback from the guys here who have jumped into the full-auto game, and see if they ever had regrets, or just simply got bored with it.

Thanks for any input guys!

-Mike

az doug
05-11-11, 23:40
I have been in the full-auto game since 1977. I do have regrets. I regret I didn't purchase a RDIAS when they could be had for $20.00 and several other guns years ago.

The fun/novelty did wear off for awhile until I discovered subgun matches.

If I had it to do all over again I would by a RDIAS.

glocktogo
05-12-11, 00:14
I certainly don't regret mine. I went with a RR Colt because I got a good deal on it. I've spent over 2 years perfecting it and it's definitely a crowd pleaser.

floyd
05-12-11, 02:04
I have never had a bit of regret with my Colt 16 A2. Pure satification. I don't flip to full auto at every range session but I like having the option. I lied. I can't help myself. I probably do a 5 to 10 round burst at the end of 9 out of 10 range or practice session.
I would highly recommend a RR or rdias if the price is right or the funds are there. However, we are talking about an AR platform. Sub Gun arn't as versitale as the AR.

MikeCLeonard
05-12-11, 03:32
I've just run into a personal zone of wanting the shed some firearms from my inventory that I bought mainly because I thought they were cool, unique, and rare...but really see very limited use. I want my dollars to translate into great times shooting, rather than having a huge safe filled with dozens of real cool guns that were rarely enjoyed aside being looked at and fondled every now and then. I hate to give them up, but I just have this feeling that I'd get much more enjoyment out of one sear, than the 4-5 guns I would sell to buy it.

Any suggestions on what DIAS manufacture to look for? I like the idea of an all-steel unit, and I'm prepared to wait and be picky about finding one that hasn't been modified like crazy over the years and requires timing-shims to run properly.

Thanks so much for the response guys!

scottryan
05-12-11, 09:56
I would definitely get a steel one.

Mongo
05-12-11, 11:24
I had a RDIAS and sold it for a RR Colt. The only reason I did this is because I am running the open bolt LMG kit on my Colt and it will not work with a RDIAS. The RDIAS is the way to go otherwise.

As for selling guns to get F/A, Well I got into the F/A in 1992 and had a good collection of different semi autos of full auto guns. I replaced them all with the real deal and never looked back. Should have bought a lot more F/A at the time with my 401K money. i borrowed against my 401K to buy my Stoner 63A for 12K at the time, its now worth at least 6 times that now if not more. Fun and an investment all in one.

Darkop
05-12-11, 13:32
I have an M16A1 that I now run a 12.5 Crusader on with HALO. The novelty has warn off a bit since I got into SBR's. I rarely take the M16 to the range any more. It's nice to have and when people want to shoot full auto I break it out.

Back when i used to work for a living I was issued an M16 and an MP5 so I have a lot of select fire experience under my belt so maybe thats why it's not so novel too me.

You can buy a lot of SBR's, parts and suppressors for what a RDIAS would cost and still afford a lot of ammo.

Ultimately it's up to you but with the cost of auto's now I wouldn't do it, especially if you have to sell "Other" guns to finance it.

Good luck on the decision ONLY YOU CAN MAKE.

Until that day,
Darkop

JoshNC
05-12-11, 16:38
I recommend you go for it and never look back. I have never regretted any of my MG purchases. It is the only firearm you can buy, use, and still have it appreciate in value.

My first transferable MG was a factory Colt M16 purchased in 2002 and I have continued to buy transferables since that time.

Yes, it is a big chunk of change, but it is worth it if you can afford it. If you are going to buy a DIAS, try to get an all steel variant. Most DIAS seem to be posted for around $14k these days. Another idea for you is to consider is that you can likely have both a registered receiver non-Colt M16 lower and a fullsize registered receiver UZI for almost the same price as the DIAS alone. You should be able to find a non-Colt RR M16 for around $9k and the UZI for around $7k.

I have two Colt factory M16s and personally prefer the factory-correct registered receiver over the DIAS. The upside of the RR is that you don't have to tinker with uppers, sear trips, etc.. to get things running. The upside of a DIAS is that you can replace your lower and have brand new MG.

MikeCLeonard
05-12-11, 20:48
Yeah, I imagine those f/a uzi's are a blast to shoot...Though I've never really had much interest in that platform. I'd probably just get a sear for my MP5 if I was going to go f/a with a 9mm. I'll save that possible purchase for sometime in the future. :D

At this point, I think I'd much rather be able to use a brand new lower with a DIAS than a non-colt RR. In fact, this dias purchase would most likely go into my MR556 lower that's paired with a 416 upper...or maybe sit inside one of those new Noveske flared lowers coming out.

Anyhow, I really appreciate all the input guys. I've finally decided to pursue this venture, so now the shopping begins!

Am I right in saying that the Ballistics sears are among some of the nicer dias examples?

az doug
05-12-11, 21:42
...I have two Colt factory M16s and personally prefer the factory-correct registered receiver over the DIAS. The upside of the RR is that you don't have to tinker with uppers, sear trips, etc.. to get things running. The upside of a DIAS is that you can replace your lower and have brand new MG.

That may be true of a Colt factory built RR, but I have two RRs converted by two different "manufacturers." One is fine, but the other would not accept a Mil Spec upper and the auto sear hole was not correctly located. I have since corrected both issues.

For a gun to shoot I would like to have RDIAS so, as you pointed out, I could replace the lower and have a new one.

I shoot my guns quite a bit. I am not certain I would run as many rounds through them if they were Colt RR. I can work on mine and refinish them without hurting the value. I am sure there are some out there that run their Colt RR as hard or harder than I run mine.

JoshNC
05-15-11, 12:42
That may be true of a Colt factory built RR, but I have two RRs converted by two different "manufacturers." One is fine, but the other would not accept a Mil Spec upper and the auto sear hole was not correctly located. I have since corrected both issues.

For a gun to shoot I would like to have RDIAS so, as you pointed out, I could replace the lower and have a new one.

I shoot my guns quite a bit. I am not certain I would run as many rounds through them if they were Colt RR. I can work on mine and refinish them without hurting the value. I am sure there are some out there that run their Colt RR as hard or harder than I run mine.

I hear what you are saying. I have two factory Colt M16s, one (marked AR15 model 614) that sits in the safe getting little/no range time and the other (marked M16) that sees alot of range time. Both are run with only quality factory brass-cased ammo and I use KNS non-rotating hammer/trigger pins. But the thought has crossed my mind recently of buying a non-Colt RR that was known to be in-spec to use as my shooter.

At one point I had considered a DIAS as well, but honestly with DIAS prices being what they are I would probably just opt for a non-Colt RR that is known to be reliable.

To the OP, whatever you decide you will be happy. Congrats on the decision to jump into FA. This will by no means be your last machinegun. Get ready to become FULLY addicted.

BSWilson
05-15-11, 13:10
While I haven't gotten to shoot that much full auto, every time I did, I always got the impression that short-barreled suppressed guns were a far better value as far as cost, fun & utility.

If you had two boxes in front of you, one with an M16, and the other with $10,000+ worth of SBRs, Suppressors, & other stuff, which would you choose?

Dolphinvet
05-15-11, 17:26
If you had two boxes in front of you, one with an M16, and the other with $10,000+ worth of SBRs, Suppressors, & other stuff, which would you choose?

I suppose that depends on how badly one wanted an M16. Myself I'd probably chose an M16, since there aren't new ones available anymore.

JoshNC
05-15-11, 23:44
While I haven't gotten to shoot that much full auto, every time I did, I always got the impression that short-barreled suppressed guns were a far better value as far as cost, fun & utility.

Owning SBRs, suppressors, and MGs I can unequivocally say that I personally would choose the MG. But different strokes for different folks. My recommendation is to buy what you personally want most to own/shoot.

MikeCLeonard
05-17-11, 01:25
HAHA...Thanks for the input guys!

As far as other NFA toys go...I have some of those too!

My aim is to have the F/A SBR AR15 (10.5" MRP or 416)with suppressor...I have the SBR and the suppressor...Now I just need the DIAS for the ability to burn the tires off! :D

Darkop
05-18-11, 20:40

My aim is to have the F/A SBR AR15 (10.5" MRP or 416)with suppressor...I have the SBR and the suppressor...Now I just need the DIAS for the ability to burn the tires off! :D

In that case go for it. Be prepared to by ammo!!!

Until that day,
Darkop

rcpd34
05-22-11, 16:44

M16. Hands down. Every time.

Lawmaker
08-03-11, 17:02

I am sticking with the SBRs. I can afford a FA but I cant justify it. It is in the category of buying an old car. You can get a new one for a tenth of the price that just wont turn as many heads.

fixit69
08-04-11, 10:11

Have you gone for it yet? You'll never smile that wide shooting semi.

m4fun
08-04-11, 21:58
Pretty much can go bad with steel or aluminum. Obviously steel is preferred. For me I didnt want to mod my rr lower (bolt release) for my Shrike. Also something like the MGI Hydra lower that lets you swap out magwells(for AK mags mated with an 762x39 upper or barrel in their hydra upper)

Good luck!

hotrodder636
08-09-11, 17:25
New here and still learning, but why are FA conversions and FA lowers so expensive? Is it just availability or is it because they "just do" cost that much? Secondly I didn't find anything on the site but where would one go to look into a RDIAS for an AR lower?

fixit69
08-09-11, 17:27
I would guess supply and demand.

glocktogo
08-09-11, 22:49
New here and still learning, but why are FA conversions and FA lowers so expensive? Is it just availability or is it because they "just do" cost that much? Secondly I didn't find anything on the site but where would one go to look into a RDIAS for an AR lower?

Nothing full auto that's manufactured after May 19, 1986 is legal for civilian ownership. The supply is finite.