PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Device Question

wildhaggis96
05-12-11, 13:03
All,

Hoping to get some input on muzzle device selection for two new builds I'm working on. One is a Recon (Recce) upper with a Noveske 16" stainless midlength. The other is a SPR upper with a Douglas 18" fluted rifle length. My options of muzzle device are as follows; Smith Vortex, YHM Phantom QD mount, Troy Claymore and the standard A2 Birdcage.

Thanks in advance.

markm
05-12-11, 13:15
I only run the A2 unless I need the silencer mount. It's tough, cheap, and effective.

ALCOAR
05-12-11, 14:21
The only problem with A2's is that they have been so mass produced and generally appear alike that it's tough to ensure yours is gonna be properly spec'd unless it comes from LMT, Colt, or the like. I also see these things overtightened as well as improperly timed which def. degenerates the barrel's accuracy. If it's in spec and properly installed, they are great economical muzzle devices that yield clear positive results.

That said, on a precision rifle I would go with a device that has at least been positively batch tested if not individually tested like a AAC blackout.

If you plan on your precision AR being more static or fixed....go with the best F/H made which imho is either a Blackout or Vortex.

If you plan on your precision AR being more Dynamic with heavier schedules of firing, than go with either a brakeout, or similar open ended muzzle device that predominately acts as a good performing comp/brake.

SteveL
05-12-11, 14:43
Any particular reason why the BattleComp isn't an option?

wildhaggis96
05-12-11, 15:14
Thank you for the input so far. I'm more of a weekend warrior in the world of ar builds and these parts are things I've come by over a few years. Would I like to have the KAC or Battle Comp parts? Yes, most definitely. Unfortunately I can't justify more purchases beyond what I've already got for these two builds.

I've been considering the A2 or Vortex on the Recon, would these be good choices for that style of upper? As for the SPR, I've given some thought to the YHM Phantom QD mount; would that be a more appropriate choice for that style of upper? These are the choices I'm stuck with at the moment. Thanks again, I knew asking here would get me some informed responses.

ALCOAR
05-12-11, 16:14
Any particular reason why the BattleComp isn't an option?

Check out this thread pal, I would hate to personally speak on this actual topic since I really haven't explored and to date my only gun with a BAC hasn't seen any negative effects in the least....quite the opposite in reality. That said, open ended devices have a far less chance of potentially effecting accuracy vs. closed ended devices like a BAC or TT brake.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=63864

OP...I think a Vortex would make a fantastic device for a recon/recce rifle. They are awesome and prob. tied for the best actual flash suppression device currently made. Sounds like a winner to me:)

SteveL
05-12-11, 17:26
Thanks for the link Trident. I remember keeping up with that thread for a while when it was first started, but I had not read it in its entirety until now. I know the BattleComp was not meant to go on a sniper rifle, but there's plenty of anecdotal reports from reliable sources indicating that their DMR/SPR/RECCE/precision rifles are still capable of sub-MOA groups with a BC installed.

Either way, if I understand the OP correctly, I think he wants to use comps/brakes he already has rather than buying something new, and I didn't realize that was the case when I asked about the BC.

ALCOAR
05-12-11, 17:54
It's just important to always remember one point on muzzle devices for these guns....there is NO free lunch, if the device becomes a savant in any one category it almost equally fails in another. On a more macro scale, you could also say that the more a device becomes suited for CQB, the less it becomes suited for distance and precision purposes.

To date, the two best all around devices Ive found are the BAC's for a SBR, CQB, or even a GP type, and a AAC Brakeout for a GP type and Precision type.

Vortex's and Blackout's are always well suited Ive found on both cqb and precision AR's. They just offer zero compensator, recoil reduction, or muzzle rise since they damn near eliminate all flash on modern loads w. flash retardant powder. Again, we come back to there is no free lunch in terms of these muzzle devices.

hikeeba
05-13-11, 08:49
I guess if it were me, I'd try the A2 on the Recce, and the Vortex on the SPR. They can be easily removed and swapped around if they don't work out. Or, obtain some crush or peel washers, pick the rifle you think you'll shoot more often, and try all the devices on it to determine your setup. Apply the leftovers to the other rifle on another visit to the range.

wildhaggis96
05-13-11, 12:09
Trident - thanks for the advice, I think I'll be going with the Vortex on the Recce. I did have an A2 picked out originally but wanted to explore other options. Now, the SPR; in the event I'm ever fortunate enough to aquire a can, would this be an appropriate platform on which to use such a device?

I'm trying to get these builds to be as practical as possible, based on finances, for their real world applications.

usmcvet
05-15-11, 18:32
The Vortex is probably the easiest to install too. I love my Battle Comp and I've used AAC and Vortex FH too. That said an A2 is what I bought the last time I needed a FH. They're cheap and they work.

MassMark
05-15-11, 21:10
Anyone else running the PWS Triad? I replaced my stock A2 on my 16" LMT and like it so far.

Kahlendrrari
06-11-11, 23:03
why don't you just go with a blackout then, if you know they are high quality, why bother fretting over something that you already figured out?