PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for ACOG on M&P 22 Training Rifle

Crow Hunter
05-12-11, 17:06
One of the things that I like about RDS is that you can get a low cost substitute to use on a training rifle. (Primary arms or Vortex)

Does such a thing exist for the ACOG sights?

It doesn't need to be fiber optic or "look" like an ACOG, battery power is okay as long as it is fixed 3x or 4x that has similar eyebox, eye relief to the ACOG with similar reticles (BDC not required).

I have hunted around but the only thing I could find is some stuff that looks like ACOGs but is 1x.

Anyone have a good lead?

This isn't meant to be used for anything other than practice with a .22 cal trainer.

El Pistolero
05-13-11, 02:03
How close do you want to an actual ACOG? For recreational purposes you could try one of the TA01 clones, they have a realistic BDC reticle, almost an exact copy but the lines are ever so slightly thicker (I've compared them side by side with my real TA01NSN). I know it sounds cheesy to suggest an airsoft scope but I don't see the harm if it's going on a rimfire training rifle.

These are two examples:

http://www.apextac.com/catalog/item/6540833/7965933.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACOG-Style-4x32-Cross-Sight-Scope-Airsoft-Hunting-/130503470058?pt=US_Telescopes&hash=item1e629cebea#ht_3035wt_905

El Pistolero
05-13-11, 02:04
Double post.

Crow Hunter
05-13-11, 16:42
Not cheesy at all.

This is they type of stuff I am looking for.

Ideally, I would like to find something to substitute for a TA33. But having similar reticles and similar eye relief is more important to me.

Thanks for pointing this one out, I hadn't though about airsoft. If it is strong enough for those, it should be strong enough for a 22 LR.

Thanks

El Pistolero
05-13-11, 16:59
The eye relief is the same as the real 4x ACOG in my experience so it helps with practicing with a consistent stance on both your 22LR and your go-to rifle. The 4x ACOG clones are nicer than you think they would be, and most people would be impressed by how close they are to the real ACOG when compared side by side. I certainly was. No tritium on these of course, but waterproof and clear optics. For the money, and for airsoft/rimfire use they fit the bill.