PDA

View Full Version : Troy push button swivel rail mount vs. Daniel Defense

greywolf2112
05-12-11, 17:37
Which do you prefer and why? Going to use a VTAC sling and CTR stock and so will use the rear stock push button hole for the rear swivel, but need a forearm mounted swivel.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=62712/pid=42428/Product/PUSH_BUTTON_SWIVEL_RAIL_MOUNT

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24169/Product/AR_15_M16_RAIL_MOUNT_QD_SLING_SWIVEL

Pugnacious
05-12-11, 18:02
6 of one and half a dozen of the other. The only real difference I can see is the Troy mounts with a screw driver and the DD needs an Allen wrench.

I have a couple of the DD mounts and they work well but as time goes by I find myself preferring accessories that only need a screw driver to mount and remove. I can always find a screwdriver in my kit bag that will do the job but I may not always have the correct Allen wrench.

BSWilson
05-12-11, 20:01
Take a look at the Wilson Combat model.

SA80Dan
05-12-11, 20:27
I have one of the DD ones; solid, no problems with it at all, although it sticks out a fair bit making it slightly annoying in my safe. In future I will stick with VTAC lo-pro mounts as they don;t stick out and as they mount on the top rail can be used equally well on both quad rails and top only railed forearms.

msstate56
05-12-11, 20:35
Take a look at the gear sector qd mount. Brownells has the black and fde in stock for about the same price as the two you're considering. The gear sector takes up more rail space, but feels better under hand than the DD because it is more rounded, and it will blend with rail covers.

greywolf2112
05-12-11, 20:55
Take a look at the gear sector qd mount. Brownells has the black and fde in stock for about the same price as the two you're considering. The gear sector takes up more rail space, but feels better under hand than the DD because it is more rounded, and it will blend with rail covers.

Hmm, hadn't thought about those.

One thing I did notice - my OBR came with what I think is a Troy swivel rail mount - when I installed it on both my OBR's rails and then on some other handguard rails on my ARs, even after I tightened it down all the way, it was still loose on the rail - is that normal? It looks like it is supposed to be held on by each side "bending" or tightening up vs. having a seperate clamp that the screw goes into and then tightens the clamp snug to the rail.

zibby43
05-12-11, 21:58
I can vouch for the DD mount. Easy to use. Fulfills its purpose. Seems like you couldn't go wrong with either though, IMHO.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-12-11, 22:24
I really like my DD. No experience with the Troy.

justin_247
05-13-11, 01:13
+1 for the DD. It's actually a clamp that's tightened to the rail by a screw, so it gets a nice tight fit.

As for the Troy, it's a single piece of metal that slides on the rail, and is held onto a single slot of the rail by a screw. It does not tighten down like the DD does and constantly rattles.

I definitely prefer the DD.

BBJones13
05-13-11, 14:06
I have the DD on 2 rifles. Very sturdy.

I would like to try the gear sector as the DD does stick out from the rail a good bit.

jackblack73
05-13-11, 15:23
I would get the Wilson Combat one. Seems like the lowest profile.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/10_2-Quick-Detach-Swivel-Attachment-Rail-Mount/productinfo/TR-102SM/

polymorpheous
05-13-11, 18:43
The Wilson model does not appear to have rotational limiters.
For me, that is a deal breaker.
But that's just me.

Edit:
Also, for that price the Daniel Defense includes a HD swivel.

nimdabew
05-13-11, 18:46
An alternate front point is an HK hook and a Magpur RSA. I really like my setup, and it afford a little bit more freedom of movement on the front point without binding up the sling.

Boss302
05-13-11, 18:54
Here's a picture of the GS on my rifle.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj113/tigerbait327/IMG_0840.jpg

Scoby
05-13-11, 21:11
As for the Troy, it's a single piece of metal that slides on the rail, and is held onto a single slot of the rail by a screw. It does not tighten down like the DD does and constantly rattles.

I've had experience with the Troy mount and it never rattled. If it did you didn't have it mounted properly.

kwelz
05-13-11, 22:58

You are not tightening it enough then.