PDA

View Full Version : Please check out what came out of my BCG

KFields
05-12-11, 22:44
I was deep cleaning my rifle tonight and took my BCG apart and these little particles fell out. After I saw this I took a bore brush and cleaned inside the bolt a little better. Is this normal or is something bad wrong? This isn't the first time I have had my BCG apart either. I know this might be a dumb question but thank you all for the help and answers.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/T28B/DSC01770.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/T28B/DSC01769.jpg

aveisone
05-12-11, 22:47
Looks like carbon buildup or some kind of debris. What kind of ammo are you running. Is it dirty cheap stuff? If reloading how thoroughly do you check casings for cleaning media and what kind are you using?

Ive never personally seen that. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

SOW_0331
05-12-11, 22:48
Looks like carbon that's been there for a while.

You break down the bolt every time you clean it?

KFields
05-12-11, 22:51
The only ammo ever run through it is georgia arms 55 gr. Like I said I have had the whole BCG apart before but never seen this crap before. I cleaned it really well and didn't see anymore of the stuff in it afterwards. Is it good to go now, no issues I mean?

SOW_0331
05-12-11, 22:55
Funny thing about carbon, it multiplies on its own. If you cleaned your BCG really really well, but that was the last time you cleaned it for 3 months, there will be carbon as if out of nowhere.

That really looks to me like carbon that sat there for a while and got shaken off. That's fine, its pretty natural.

If it's just carbon, and not metal shavings (which I can't really see), you're fine.

KFields
05-12-11, 23:07
I think your right on the carbon. It doesn't shine like metal shavings, which makes me feel alot better. Thanks for the help as always.

BufordTJustice
05-12-11, 23:12
Get a good magnet. If the particles are not affected by the magnet, they are not ferrous and are of no consequence. If they are, buy a new bolt immediately and discontinue use of that bolt.

I have gotten large amounts of carbon out of my bolt before and I shoot a LOT of Tula 55gr.

markm
05-13-11, 08:43
Looks like a broken Anvil out of a PRIMER that got blown... mixed in with some carbon.