PDA

View Full Version : Lack of venues in the NW

blackheart3a
10-08-07, 05:02
I just thought I would bring this up for discussion and see if other folks are in the same boat as I am. I live in the NW part of the U.S. and am constantly looking for training venues where I don't need to drive 20+ hours to get to them. By venues I mean EAG Tactical, Vickers, 10-8 Consulting etc....

The only thing I saw up here which I did attend was a carbine course from 10-8 consulting near Seattle,WA last March 07'. (Which was very good BTW). Other than that nothing has been available up here that I can see. I either need to drive to AZ, VA, So Cal, or some other southern state to catch one of these courses.

Anybody else in the same boat? Is there something we can do to bring some of these folks up here? I have tried to go to my Chief and see if the Dept. could bring some guys in but that's like pissing in the wind. Are there any other training venues that I am missing?

Treehopr
10-08-07, 08:34
Have you looked in to Insights Training Center based in WA state?

Spartan Tactical has a couple of carbine courses at the end of October in Oregon.

Also Viking Tactics has a few classes down in the SF Bay area before the end of the year.

Those are a few off the top of my head.

Hope it helps.

Joe R.
10-08-07, 10:06
Thanks for the plug there blackheart3a, hope things are well.

To back up treehopr's advice, I highly recommend checking into InSights. I took the 3 day Advanced LE Handgun skills class earlier this year and Greg Hamilton was an outstanding instructor. I picked up more technical shooting skills in those three days then I have in the past few years. I'd also try to get in on the Spartian Tactical classes John Noveske is hosting. I know he has a few slots still open. If it wasn't on the other side of the country I'd be there as well!

-Joe Riedy

Submariner
10-08-07, 11:44
Anybody else in the same boat? Is there something we can do to bring some of these folks up here? I have tried to go to my Chief and see if the Dept. could bring some guys in but that's like pissing in the wind. Are there any other training venues that I am missing?

Read Sheriff Ken Campbell's article on bringing trainers to your department. Its in the latest SWAT magazine with FJB and his M249 on the cover.

Isn't Thunder Ranch in the NW?

blackheart3a
10-08-07, 21:21
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will be checking into Insights and see what they have to offer. (Thanks Joe and Treehopr for the info) I am also gonna try and pick up that article that submariner is talking about.

For those of us here in the NW would there be anyone interested in coming out to MT to attend any training if I could get my Dept. to sign off?

sff70
10-09-07, 00:47
Insights
Firearms Academy of Seattle
Fist, Feet, Knives, Guns (Portland)
Thunder Ranch (South Central Oregon)

Ken Hackathorn, Jeff Gonzales, 10-8, Bill Jeans, LAV, and other instructors visit from time to time.

If you are a member at a range, you might be able to persuade your board of directors to allow a class, and then check with one of the instructors who is willing to travel. By sponsoring a class, you usually get free or discounted tuition, too.

Treehopr
10-09-07, 03:11
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will be checking into Insights and see what they have to offer. (Thanks Joe and Treehopr for the info) I am also gonna try and pick up that article that submariner is talking about.

For those of us here in the NW would there be anyone interested in coming out to MT to attend any training if I could get my Dept. to sign off?

No worries brother, sharing info is what this forum is about.

Montana? Then I should've mentioned Pat Goodale- I think he teaches several courses in the Billings, MT area each year.

www.pgpft.com

Good luck with the search.

unknownsailor
10-11-07, 21:37
I noticed the distinct lack of quality instruction while stationed at Whidbey, too.

10-8 had a carbine class up in Oregon last year.

I took FAS-2 from Firearm Academy of Seattle this year.

There is always Thunder Ranch, but Clint's classes tend to fill up well in advance, due to his self-limited class size.

Haven't been to an Insight class, but will try them out when I get back to that area.

ilike9s
10-12-07, 22:50
I Thought that FAS had very good instruction, have you looked into them?