PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live in Franklin, Bedford or Pittslyvania counties in VA?

C4IGrant
05-13-11, 10:12
Am looking at Land in Franklin county (VA) this weekend and am wondering if we have any locals to give me a heads up about the area.

Thanks....

C4

SHIVAN
05-13-11, 10:38
My in-laws are in Bedford County. Not that I can help much, but there it is...

C4IGrant
05-13-11, 10:50
My in-laws are in Bedford County. Not that I can help much, but there it is...

How do they like it? Any local issues (land fill problems, tax issues, etc)?

C4

SHIVAN
05-13-11, 10:55
Simpler life, lots of open space, close to Smith Mountain Lake (where my BIL & wife live), taxation is same-same with rest of VA, which is not bad.

Cell phone service on anything but Verizon basically sucks. Most folks on septic and well, but depending on location some get "city" water.

They live right on the border of Bedford and Roanoke, right at the Blue Ridge Parkway on Rt. 24.

They don't have street trash service, they take to a central collection location and drop the trash. Typical of "rural" VA.

Trajan
05-13-11, 10:58
Plan on leaving our great state of Ohio? :D

wahoo95
05-13-11, 11:11
Ahh....the Moonshine Capital. Be safe out in those hills.

Great place to live!

kdcgrohl
05-13-11, 11:28
I'm in southern Franklin Co., closer to Philpott than SML. Beautiful and large county. What area are you looking at?

C4IGrant
05-13-11, 12:20
Plan on leaving our great state of Ohio? :D

Eventually, but not any time soon.

C4

C4IGrant
05-13-11, 12:20
Ahh....the Moonshine Capital. Be safe out in those hills.

Great place to live!

I carry a gun everywhere I go. :D

C4

C4IGrant
05-13-11, 12:21
I'm in southern Franklin Co., closer to Philpott than SML. Beautiful and large county. What area are you looking at?

I am looking at about 7 properties all over the county. Lot's of cheap land available in large tracts (70 acres or above).

I will eventually build a house and range at the property.

C4

kdcgrohl
05-13-11, 12:25
I am looking at about 7 properties all over the county. Lot's of cheap land available in large tracts (70 acres or above).

C4

Can't think of a nicer place. Good luck on the shopping. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

C4IGrant
05-13-11, 12:58
Can't think of a nicer place. Good luck on the shopping. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Thanks much.

C4

montanadave
05-13-11, 15:03

C4

Just out of curiosity, what's undeveloped rural land selling for in that neck of the woods? I've been looking for some property around south-central Montana and anything I'd want to live on is priced out of my reach. Always surprises me to compare land prices around the country.

I was looking at a small parcel this past week (20 acres) in the Snowy Mountains that has a little creek frontage and the asking price is $149K. A couple hundred acres along Big Timber Creek at the foot of the Crazy Mountains is going for $1.2 million. Seems everybody wants a little junk of Big Sky Country (or at least that's what sellers are thinking).

C4IGrant
05-13-11, 15:25
Just out of curiosity, what's undeveloped rural land selling for in that neck of the woods? I've been looking for some property around south-central Montana and anything I'd want to live on is priced out of my reach. Always surprises me to compare land prices around the country.

I was looking at a small parcel this past week (20 acres) in the Snowy Mountains that has a little creek frontage and the asking price is $149K. A couple hundred acres along Big Timber Creek at the foot of the Crazy Mountains is going for $1.2 million. Seems everybody wants a little junk of Big Sky Country (or at least that's what sellers are thinking).

I am finding it for around $1000-$1800 an acre wooded lot (hardwoods), streams, etc in the blue ridge mountain area.

C4

chadbag
05-13-11, 15:45

I was looking at landwatch.com and the Montana prices vary widely. Only looking at the pics and reading the descriptions and not seeing what the land looks like itself etc I don't know if it is reasonable parcels or not. Some was $1k-$2k per acre. Others much much more.

Montana is my dream location if I can raise the money and convince the wife.

montanadave
05-13-11, 18:55
I am finding it for around $1000-$1800 an acre wooded lot (hardwoods), streams, etc in the blue ridge mountain area.

C4

Given the prices around here, that's outstanding. I'd kill to find a quarter section with water/trees for that kind of price.

I was looking at landwatch.com and the Montana prices vary widely. Only looking at the pics and reading the descriptions and not seeing what the land looks like itself etc I don't know if it is reasonable parcels or not. Some was $1k-$2k per acre. Others much much more.

Montana is my dream location if I can raise the money and convince the wife.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but let me offer some advice. A lot of Montana land is DRY! I worked for a water well contractor for several years and it never ceased to amaze me the number of folks that would buy a piece of property, start building a house, and find they had no water. And most realtors take photos of land this time of year-- the snow's gone, the grass and trees (if there are any) are greening up, and it all looks terrific. By the first of July it's brown and dry as tinder. The best time to look at Montana property is late summer. It may not be at its prettiest, but you'll have a more realistic idea of what you're getting into.

C4IGrant
05-13-11, 22:09
Given the prices around here, that's outstanding. I'd kill to find a quarter section with water/trees for that kind of price.

Most of the land I have found has large streams on them with trout!

C4

montanadave
05-14-11, 08:25
Most of the land I have found has large streams on them with trout!

C4

Stop! You're killing me!

I spent a few family vacations years ago in Blowing Rock, NC, and took some drives up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful country but I'd have to find a parcel on top of a hill. When you grow up in eastern Montana you start feeling a tad claustrophobic if you can't see 60-80 miles in every direction. :laugh:

chadbag
05-14-11, 10:09

Yeah, I went to landwatch.com to look at Virginia land to see what he was talking about in terms of landscape and pricing. Looked very nice. I grew up in New England, in a rural former mill town, now bedroom community, where everyone lived on a few acres of woods, which has similar landscapes, so can see the appeal of the areas Grant is talking about. Only problem for me would be the humidity (while NE has it, I have lived in Utah for a long while which does not have it) and being super far from family.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but let me offer some advice. A lot of Montana land is DRY! I worked for a water well contractor for several years and it never ceased to amaze me the number of folks that would buy a piece of property, start building a house, and find they had no water. And most realtors take photos of land this time of year-- the snow's gone, the grass and trees (if there are any) are greening up, and it all looks terrific. By the first of July it's brown and dry as tinder. The best time to look at Montana property is late summer. It may not be at its prettiest, but you'll have a more realistic idea of what you're getting into.

People tell me it is similar to Utah, which is also dry. Whether in VA or MT you need to get tests done for water, septic, etc to make sure it is reasonable to build on before making the decision. I don't have the means right now to do it (killing me) but looking at the VA land on landwatch.com lead me back to the MT land ;)