PDA

View Full Version : Larue OBR Free Pass?

jdodd
05-13-11, 13:21
Larue OBR lacks the following off the top of my head:

-1/7 Barrel
-5.56 Chamber
-HPT/MPI
-Black Extractor Insert

Why has this rifle not been stricken down as sub-par by the wrath of the mill-spec gods?

-J

***NOTE***

I am just playing devils advocate...and looking to learn more in the process.

usmcvet
05-13-11, 13:37
I would say the first issue is they are LaRue and they make outstanding gear.

Second thought is they're not trying to tell you the OBR is something it is not. I see tons of BS advertising from companies telling us how great their guns are when they are not what they say they are.

The 1/8 twist is intentional for the mission I think it's a stainless bbl thing. It is also what the weapon was designed for. I don't think its a forged lower either. It is a different kind of animal.

http://larueosr.com/lt556-16.aspx

SomeOtherGuy
05-13-11, 13:40
This model?

http://larueosr.com/lt556-18.aspx

The 1/8 twist works just fine for bullets up to 77gr and is a better choice than 1/7 for most uses, even though it's not current TDP milspec.

The chamber is a "Wylde" and is safe for 5.56 NATO ammo, even though it is again not to current TDP milspec.

I would sure hope it includes HPT/MPI testing at that price, but I do not see it listed. A lot of other potential concerns aren't listed either. I wouldn't assume they all come out on the Olympic/DPMS end of the scale.

40Arpent
05-13-11, 13:41
Second thought is they're not trying to tell you the OBR is something it is not.

Exactly.

/Thread

SWATcop556
05-13-11, 13:41
I have a good feeling this is not going to end well.

It has not been given a free pass. The OBR was designed as a precision rifle that can be used as a battle rifle. I haven't seen anywhere it has been said that Larue gets a "free pass."

If you don't like the specs don't buy it. I personally would change a few things but it is a well built rifle.

The SR15 doesn't have several "specs" many feel are required but it is a proven quality rifle. Other rifles don't meet certain specs but they are proven to be shit. There's a big difference.

40Arpent
05-13-11, 13:43
I have a good feeling this is not going to end well.

Trolling usually doesn't.

Magsz
05-13-11, 13:43
Simple.

Larue is marketing the gun as a lightweight, precision gun. That is it.

Whatever you use it for is up to you but it is NOT being marketed as the next best combat rifle or Ninja Field Force Ranger Seal team 3.14 Master Blaster.

Not to mention, when you claim "Milspec" and your shit is NOT milspec and barely even works people tend to wave the bullshit flag or refer to The Chart.

Larue guns work...well. Kind of hard to argue with that.

d90king
05-13-11, 13:45
Stop being a troll. Its clear based upon the previous thread you were posting in that you are simply an uneducated troll. Research is likely to be your only friend as you wont have many on here.

LaRue products stand on their own and thats why they get a "free pass"... He also makes no claims to sell a mil spec rifle. His rifles are amongst the most accurate and reliable rifles built. Period.

If you aren't smart enough to learn the benefits of the Wylde 1/8 IN 5.56 then you wont understand the rest unless someone draws you a crayon picture.

rob_s
05-13-11, 13:55
If you aren't smart enough to learn the benefits of the Wylde 1/8 IN 5.56 then you wont understand the rest unless someone draws you a crayon picture.

Exactly.

When Mark Larue tells me he's making an M4-pattern carbine I'll worry about comparing his guns to the other guns on the Chart.

Would I buy an OBR or a Predatar? no. Is that because of the chamber and twist? no. Do I think they they are fine guns in spite of the fact that they do not have these features? yes, based on feedback from people that know more about this than I do and actually have hands on with these guns.

I'm currently not taking on any new review guns but when I do if Mark decided to send me one I'd happily try one out. :D

jdodd
05-13-11, 14:27
Stop being a troll. Its clear based upon the previous thread you were posting in that you are simply an uneducated troll. Research is likely to be your only friend as you wont have many on here.

LaRue products stand on their own and thats why they get a "free pass"... He also makes no claims to sell a mil spec rifle. His rifles are amongst the most accurate and reliable rifles built. Period.

You are just a little gem huh? :sarcastic:

So becuase larue does not market this as a battle rifle the BCG does not need HPT/MPI. Yet, in any other black rifle your bolt will surely fail as its sub-par without it?

I fear at this point all it will turn into is a "troll" and "lol where is your dpms" flame fest. Mods feel free to shut this down.

For reference I have been hunting and shooting for over 20 years. In the scope of this thread I own both a stag arms (first AR before learning more about them) and a BCM middy (after learning more about them).

These kind of replies do nothing but hurt the sport and turn away new enthusiasts. With the current political climate, we need all the shooters we can get.

Cheers,

-J

rob_s
05-13-11, 14:34
For reference I have been hunting and shooting for over 20 years.
This is one of those phrases that has the exact opposite effect of those that utter it. You think it gives you some kind of cred, while anyone who actually had the cred wouldn't need to point out their experience because their opinions would stand on their own and they would understand the fact that the number of years you've spent doing something, in and of itself, has zero bearing on your knowledge of same... especially when it comes to the shooting sports.

40Arpent
05-13-11, 14:35
we need all the shooters we can get.

Preferably those who have advanced to their big boy underwear.

SHIVAN
05-13-11, 14:50
The demise of another thread. Come on guys....