PDA

View Full Version : SOPMOD stock question

greatblade
05-13-11, 16:27
What is the difference between buying the stock alone and purchasing a separate, mil-spec, mounting kit (like at Bravo Co. USA) and buying it as a set, i.e., stock with mounting kit (From LMT)?

Thanks.

TOMTOM
05-13-11, 16:50
a little dry film finish, and cost (possibly?)

SteadyUp
05-13-11, 16:59
You pretty much answered your own question.

You either get it as a kit, or you get it separately. If all parts are from reputable vendors, there really isn't a difference.

greatblade
05-13-11, 17:43
That's what I figured. But, you never know. Blindly assuming can be expensive.

Thanks.

ALCOAR
05-14-11, 01:40
There is a HUGE difference and for many including myself, the Sopmod stock isn't nearly the world beater it currently is w/o that paired LMT RE....I cannot stress how much of a difference it makes in terms of the pull or feel of the stock, as well as completely reducing all movement when shouldered, and in general has far less "slop" on the tube.

Bottom line is that the kit yields not just the awesome sopmod but the true "hydraulic" effect that is referred to by many of the folks who love these stocks.
Its honestly "hydraulic" when adjusting on the LMT RE that it was originally designed to run on. It's also worth noting that the LMT RE is clearly the best RE made to date as a stand alone component. I welcome a challenger on that rather bold statement I made since I believe it's that much more well designed and built. Normally I wouldn't make a bold, and rather unsubstantiated claim but I'm supremely confident in that statement :)

Besides LMT obviously putting the "kit" or total package on their rifles, KAC runs it as well on all their SR15 IWS's. The sopmod is a great stock on it's own....it's one of kind, and truly an awesome piece of kit when run how it was designed to be run with the associated RE.

Eurodriver
05-14-11, 04:27
There is a HUGE difference and for many including myself, the Sopmod stock isn't nearly the world beater it currently is w/o that paired LMT RE....I cannot stress how much of a difference it makes in terms of the pull or feel of the stock, as well as completely reducing all movement when shouldered, and in general has far less "slop" on the tube.

Bottom line is that the kit yields not just the awesome sopmod but the true "hydraulic" effect that is referred to by many of the folks who love these stocks.
Its honestly "hydraulic" when adjusting on the LMT RE that it was originally designed to run on. It's also worth noting that the LMT RE is clearly the best RE made to date as a stand alone component. I welcome a challenger on that rather bold statement I made since I believe it's that much more well designed and built. Normally I wouldn't make a bold, and rather unsubstantiated claim but I'm supremely confident in that statement :)

Besides LMT obviously putting the "kit" or total package on their rifles, KAC runs it as well on all their SR15 IWS's. The sopmod is a great stock on it's own....it's one of kind, and truly an awesome piece of kit when run how it was designed to be run with the associated RE.

+1 on all accounts.

Trajan
05-14-11, 04:46

There is absolutely no play in my SOPMOD with my BCM RE.

fiddly_foo
05-14-11, 05:05
I can understand wanting to get the stock with the kit thats made to run flawless with the stock and have a real good fit and finish made to be paried up with that stock. It's like I wouldn't want a Mopar Hemi engine and then put on chevy heads ...LOL just some early morning humor. If you need to get everything thers really no point not getting the kit..

Magic_Salad0892
05-14-11, 05:42

Normally I would agree with you dude. But the KAC/LMT extension I had measured EXACTLY the same diameter wise as a Colt one I had on hand, and a friend's BCM one.

Also... my A5 extension just came in. There isn't any play on that either. It's ****ing solid.

Other than that. Bravo. Totally correct. If the A5 works well, I'll say you're wrong about LMTs RE being the best.

But yeah, SOPMODS are the end all-be all stock for me.

PaiN108
05-14-11, 09:38
There is absolutely no play in my SOPMOD with my BCM RE.

I have Stag mil-spec RE on my rifle and installed a LMT RE on my Dad's rifle and feel no noticeable difference in how my LMT SOPMOD stock fits on either. The amount of play is exactly the same and they do not lock up any different. My SOPMOD fits them both like a glove. I originally purchased the LMT SOPMOD kit but ended up putting the LMT RE on the other rifle. The only real difference i could see was the dry film coating.

Pugnacious
05-14-11, 11:05
I purchased just the LMT SOPMOD stock (not the complete kit) and regardless of where I position it on the receiver extension it rocks like it has a hinge on every gun I own.

I guess it's the luck of the draw as some have had good luck with just buying the stock but buying just the stock didn't work out too well for me. If I could do it over I would buy the complete kit. For half the price I have had great luck with Vltor IMod's.

zacbol
05-14-11, 11:33
There is no play whatsoever on my Colt LE6940 using the SOPMOD. The only downside is there are only 4 positions on the stock Colt receiver extension versus 6 with the LMT (or KAC) version.

All that said, I'm less sold on the necessity of a $175 stock than I was at one time. I swapped the SOPMOD out on my SR15 and have been using a CTR and am equally pleased with it.

rob_s
05-14-11, 11:36
Disagree.

markm
05-14-11, 11:52
The aboslute ultimate would be the SOPMOD on the A5 RE.

I'd run that on every slider I owned if the SOPMOD wasn't so absurdly overpriced.

ra2bach
05-14-11, 11:53
and so it begins...

jonconsiglio
05-14-11, 11:58
The aboslute ultimate would be the SOPMOD on the A5 RE.

I'd run that on every slider I owned if the SOPMOD wasn't so absurdly overpriced.

I have one of mine set up that way and the others with the CTR. Both fit as expected and I don't see changing this any time soon.

I have the black KAC (Made by KAC or LMT?) and LMT RE's and both are equally smooth inside, though there's nothing hydraulic about it. :confused:

The inside of the Vltors seem to be a little less fluid, but they work great, actually better for me on every gun I own.

C4IGrant
05-14-11, 12:02
What is the difference between buying the stock alone and purchasing a separate, mil-spec, mounting kit (like at Bravo Co. USA) and buying it as a set, i.e., stock with mounting kit (From LMT)?

Thanks.

Generally cheaper.

C4

ALCOAR
05-14-11, 12:15
Take it to PM/E-mail

RustedAce
05-14-11, 12:18
Dude....get off my back, you literally have shatted in every thread Ive posted on this site which is no problem at all, and seems to be par for the course with you I guess, however it's getting childish having you not only call out every post of mine you read as of recent, but you do so with the same one or two typical cool guy.."utter nonsense" comment like above.

In the future, when you decide to continually try and call me out, how bout doing so in a manner that at least offers something of substance as a rebuttal if you even can at all.

I would have loved to PM you this but once again in your now classic attitude....your inbox is full, and you won't be clearing it. I won't bother with this again, you won't hear form me again given I really don't give a damn about some character on the silly ass internet, however I do look to try and spend the little time I'm on M4C not having to hear your noise in my direction anymore considering I never call you out in such a childish manner or at all given I don't read your one liners anymore.

What you said WAS utter nonsense.

I dont see why he needs a longer response.

STAFF
05-14-11, 12:24
This is a technical forum so keep your comments civil and of technical nature. If you have something to say on the negative side towards someone, send them a PM or e-mail.

JAYTEAM
05-14-11, 12:24
There is no play whatsoever on my Colt LE6940 using the SOPMOD. The only downside is there are only 4 positions on the stock Colt receiver extension versus 6 with the LMT (or KAC) version.

All that said, I'm less sold on the necessity of a $175 stock than I was at one time. I swapped the SOPMOD out on my SR15 and have been using a CTR and am equally pleased with it.

+1

The SOPMOD is hard to beat if you're running magnified optics, but I would just assume have a CTR if I'm running an Aimpoint or Eotech. Of course that is just my personal preference, so take it with a grain of salt.

Jay

JasonM
05-14-11, 14:06
I really love the cheekweld and feel of the SOPMOD.

I've got two that I have run on a variety of RE's... LMT, BCM, VLTOR... All have been equally smooth, fit tight, and worked well.

I've got CTR's and a couple other stocks, but i keep coming back to the SOPMOD for it's overall feel.

usmcvet
05-14-11, 14:58
I've had several SOPMOD stocks. They are well made and comfortable. They slid very smoothly on both LMT and BCM extensions. I'm not sure how they'd do on another extension but it sounds like they're slick on Vltor and Colt extensions too. I would not expect the same from a cheap no name extension. If you stick with an established brand listed above you'll be good to go.

fp2000h
05-14-11, 18:46
You would probably save money looking for a "pre-owned" SOPMOD and/or mil-spec buffer tube assembly. Most SOPMOD kits are brand new so you are going to pay vendor price. If QD sling mount capability is not that important to you, the Gen1 SOPMODs can be had at very reasonable prices. The EE over on arfcom is full of great deals.

RAM Engineer
05-14-11, 18:59
You would probably save money looking for a "pre-owned" SOPMOD and/or mil-spec buffer tube assembly. Most SOPMOD kits are brand new so you are going to pay vendor price. If QD sling mount capability is not that important to you, the Gen1 SOPMODs can be had at very reasonable prices. The EE over on arfcom is full of great deals.

It's also full of chicom counterfeits. Buyer beware.

usmcvet
05-14-11, 19:13
You sould have good luck here on m4c's EE and with the A5 becoming popular you should start seeing high quality used extension and buffers here too. SOPMODS pop up regularly.

BaronFitz
05-15-11, 20:09
I'm a little late to the party, but here's my experience.

I bought one of the new gen SOPMODs in FDE for my primary build, and thought to save a few bucks by just buying the stock without the RE, since I was planning on using an endplate with a QD attachment for a sling, and didn't feel like having redundant parts lying around.

I bought a BCM RE, and the stock was so tight I nearly herniated myself trying to adjust it. I returned the BCM RE, bought the LMT RE, and everything works just dandy. The BCM RE was a nice dark black rather than the grey of the LMT tube, but I'll take functionality over looks. As an added bonus, the LMT tube makes centering at the buffer detent a foolproof exercise, since it has a notch that stops at the detent and retains it at the same time.

I'm still mystified as to what was going on, since the BCM tube purported to be mil-spec, as did the LMT (I don't think they make commercial spec stocks, but I could be wrong). Something was clearly off though. :confused:

usmcvet
05-15-11, 20:17
I'm a little late to the party, but here's my experience.

I bought one of the new gen SOPMODs in FDE for my primary build, andthought to save a few bucks by just buying the stock without the RE, since I was planning on using an endplate with a QD attachment for a sling, and didn't feel like having redundant parts lying around.

I bought a BCM RE, and the stock was so tight I nearly herniated myself trying to adjust it. I returned the BCM RE, bought the LMT RE, and everything works just dandy. The BCM RE was a nice dark black rather than the grey of the LMT tube, but I'll take functionality over looks. As an added bonus, the LMT tube makes centering at the buffer detent a foolproof exercise, since it has a notch that stops at the detent and retains it at the same time.

I'm still mystified as to what was going on, since the BCM tube purported to be mil-spec, as did the LMT (I don't think they make commercial spec stocks, but I could be wrong). Something was clearly off though. :confused:

Sounds like tolerance stacking. My SOPMOD's were fine on my BCM's. I love the stock just wanted a slimmer/lighter stock so I sold them.