PDA

View Full Version : "New" EOTech

WBAR
05-13-11, 17:13
Well, thanks to this forum I decided not to go with a Vortex or similar red dot and ended up trading into a used EOTech 552. Don't know why I debated the issue so long. This thing is great! Now I need some advice on how to stop trying to use it like a regular optical scope. I know to practice more, but I don't want to be practicing poor technique. BTW, I'm using the scope on a ST M4 configuration (16").

Hmac
05-13-11, 17:31
To learn to shoot with both eyes open, put some tape or something to completely block the barrel end of the Eotech. That way you can't see the target through the Eotech and you have to have both eyes open in order to see both the target and the reticle.

sgtjosh
05-13-11, 18:22
I use an EOTech at work, but I opted for an Aimpoint PRO for my personal AR due to the amount of real estate the EOTech occupies.

Hmac
05-13-11, 19:46
I use an EOTech at work, but I opted for an Aimpoint PRO for my personal AR due to the amount of real estate the EOTech occupies.

The relevance of that being....?

memphisjim
05-13-11, 20:00
i have the exact same model as you
i say just play around with it thats how i learned
but i still find its easier to make long precision shots with one eye closed

sgtjosh
05-13-11, 20:18
The relevance of that being....?

It was simply a statement. Read nothing into it that was not plainly indicated.

HES
05-13-11, 20:20
To learn to shoot with both eyes open, put some tape or something to completely block the barrel end of the Eotech. That way you can't see the target through the Eotech and you have to have both eyes open in order to see both the target and the reticle.
This. It is just going to take practice. Im still getting my head wrapped around the idea as well, but I am making progress. If you cannot live with absolute co-witness then you can look at something like the LaRue LT-110 spacer. I haven't tried it but from what I have observed the pro is that you don't co-witness. The con is that you can barely see your irons if you need to use them,

Dave_M
05-13-11, 20:24

The XPS and EXPS series have a far smaller footprint than the AA models. What model were you issued?

sgtjosh
05-13-11, 20:38
The XPS and EXPS series have a far smaller footprint than the AA models. What model were you issued?

The 512 or 552...

KAC Lover
05-16-11, 07:40
Well, thanks to this forum I decided not to go with a Vortex or similar red dot and ended up trading into a used EOTech 552. Don't know why I debated the issue so long. This thing is great! Now I need some advice on how to stop trying to use it like a regular optical scope. I know to practice more, but I don't want to be practicing poor technique. BTW, I'm using the scope on a ST M4 configuration (16").

Trying to stay on thread topic here, the way that I learned how to do this initially was simply keeping both eyes open, focusing on the target and bringing the eotech up and aligning the reticle with my view of the target, basically just floating in the circle until it was where I wanted to hit.

DMack
05-16-11, 09:51
Here is a little trick that we use with people learning to shoot with both eyes open.

Take a small (1/4" square) piece of scotch tape, and place it on your shooting glasses, on the lens of your non-dominate eye. You want the small piece of tape to be right where your pupil is.

What this effectively does is... obscures your vision just enough to tease your brain into thinking that you have your eye squinted, so you pick the reticle up with your dominate eye.

You will be able to keep both eyes open naturally... and you will in a very short time, get used to this. After a while, take the tape off and it will be a seamless transition.

This works with handguns as well as rifle optics. Give it a try...

The only time this has issues is with cross eye dominance. If you are right handed, and left eye dominate, this would cause an issue with magnified optics. EOTech / Aimpoint style holographic optics are a bit more forgiving with the cross eye dominance issue than the ACOG or other magnified optics.

This trick with the tape is something I picked up years ago, and it really works.

What the one poster was talking about by taping up the objective end of the optic, is the technique I use on my ACOG when inside the shoot house. I tape up the objective end of the ACOG with 100mph tape, so my dominate eye picks up the reticle and my non dominate eye fills in everything else. You have to be used to shooting with both eyes open to do this, but it works like a charm. It takes a bit of practice but once you have the technique down, it is very natural.
Once I exit, and go outside, I remove the tape and now I have the magnification for perimeter work. This is a bit more difficult with the cross eye dominance issue.

If you try it, and it doesn't help you... well, at least you tried something.

Best of luck!

ssracer
05-16-11, 11:18
I've got a set of GG&G flip covers on my EO 512. They are great for practice because if I catch myself closing one eye I can just flip the front cover back down to block viewing though the optic, forcing me to keep both eyes open.