PDA

View Full Version : Help Again With My New DDXV Carbine. Please..

davebee456
05-13-11, 23:05
I just received a new DDXV Daniel Defense Rifle from a internet store.

It is a 2009 rifle I guess it sat at a warehouse or the store floor awhile.

My question is how much slop between the upper and lower is acceptable in a brand new rifle? The Pins that hold the upper to the lower seem very easy to come out...

I have never had a M4/Ar-15 Rifle before so please forgive my ignorance and Thank You For The Help.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-13-11, 23:31
Play between the upper/lower is fine. The pins should easily push out by hand for field stripping sans tools. If your pins are falling out on their own, thats an issue. Does your AR shoot?

davebee456
05-13-11, 23:53
I just opened my box tonight from my local FFL.
I will shoot it next week I hope I am looking for a nice outdoor range..
The Pins arent falling out but they pop right out with little pressure.

uwe1
05-14-11, 00:07
You should be able to easily push on the pins to loosen it, then pull on the other side to completely release it.

Even if they were initially tight, it won't stay tight after you work them over a few dozen times.

justin_247
05-14-11, 06:01
It's not "slop" - it's intentionally designed with those tolerances so that you can easily field strip the weapon without additional tools.

The_War_Wagon
05-14-11, 07:00
My better quality rifles (LMT, BCM, Colt, POF) always had pins that you could push out. It was the lower tier rifles, that always took a hammer and punch to knock out. :mad:

davebee456
05-14-11, 20:47
Thanks so much I am going to go shoot some rounds this week.

I just never imagined there was a little rattle in the Daniel Defense DDXV upper.

Never thought that was normal.

TOrrock
05-14-11, 21:28
Thanks so much I am going to go shoot some rounds this week.

I just never imagined there was a little rattle in the Daniel Defense DDXV upper.

Never thought that was normal.

Absolutely normal.

So's seeing a slight indention on the primer if you chamber a round and then unload the rifle. The firing pin is free floating and will touch the primer lightly when the bcg slams forward to chamber a round.

Total non issue. I'm mentioning that because people new to the AR tend to freak out about it.

davebee456
05-15-11, 19:21
I am still curious if anyone here bought ddm4 or DDXV rifles with no wobble

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-15-11, 19:22
I am still curious if anyone here bought ddm4 or DDXV rifles with no wobble

How much "wobble"? Post a video or stop posting as we've already explained its a non issue.

Have you even fired it yet or do you think the wobble will keep you from hitting zombies at 3000yds?

avengd7x
05-15-11, 22:12
i've got a DDm4 v5 with very little slop. the take down pins come out with just the right amount of force too. no punch and hammer necessary (which is a very very good thing)

davebee456
05-15-11, 23:12
Its all good ..
I am sure my mall ninja,zombie killing DDXV Daniel Defense rattles a little less than a $600.00 DPMS, I am just going to put as many rounds as a can through it, guy at local gun shop said to put a accu wedge

kaltesherz
05-15-11, 23:21
I'll say it again WOBBLE IS A NON-ISSUE, GO SHOOT THE ****ING THING. It has no effect on accuracy, don't worry about it.

No need for accu-wtf, it's fine as is.

davebee456
05-15-11, 23:31
Thanks for the help I am taking that advice no ****ing accu-thingy
Thanks again

kaltesherz
05-15-11, 23:35
Awesome. And congrats on the DD, it's a great rifle and will serve you well.

davebee456
05-19-11, 15:14
I sent my DDXV back to daniel defense and they told me that no way in hell is the amount of wobble and loose fit that I was experiencing normal or within the quality of what they put out.

The Customer Service rep at first said that loose fit is normal and a good thing and perfectly acceptable

however when they received the rifle they stated that this is not the case. (it was a complete rattle trap with too much movement)

They will make it good either way if that means getting me a new upper or lower or both,

I guess they do have good customer service.

zibby43
05-19-11, 15:19
I sent my DDXV back to daniel defense and they told me that no way in hell is the amount of wobble and loose fit that I was experiencing normal or within the quality of what they put out.

The Customer Service rep at first said that loose fit is normal and a good thing and perfectly acceptable

however when they received the rifle they stated that this is not the case. (it was a complete rattle trap with too much movement)

They will make it good either way if that means getting me a new upper or lower or both,

I guess they do have good customer service.

Glad to hear you are getting taken care of and also nice to hear that DD handled the situation well.

It was a smart move on your part to send the rifle in. It was obviously difficult to convey to the forum how much play/wiggle you had going on.

davebee456
05-19-11, 15:29
i just was going by all the other brands at the local gun store but no one here in atlanta carries Daniel Rifles.

kaltesherz
05-19-11, 15:40
Damn, my bad. I constantly hear people complaining about play between uppers and lowers and figured it was just someone without my AR experience. Hell, I've heard people arguing that DPMS is better than Colt because there's less play in one than the other (!!!).

Glad you got it sorted out.

Iraqgunz
05-19-11, 16:45
If you read around on this site or read a copy of the 23&P there is an inspection for this. I spelled it it pretty clearly previously.

You basically will use a .020 feeler gage and attempt to insert it at the pivot pin and take down lug, while simultaneously pushing the upper receiver left or right. If the gage penetrates through to the lugs then it is to be replaced.

I can't ever recall doing the test and finding many if any at all that failed. 99% of the time this is a non-issue and somehing that seems to keep new AR owners awake in bed.

badness
05-19-11, 19:03
If you read around on this site or read a copy of the 23&P there is an inspection for this. I spelled it it pretty clearly previously.

You basically will use a .020 feeler gage and attempt to insert it at the pivot pin and take down lug, while simultaneously pushing the upper receiver left or right. If the gage penetrates through to the lugs then it is to be replaced.

I can't ever recall doing the test and finding many if any at all that failed. 99% of the time this is a non-issue and somehing that seems to keep new AR owners awake in bed.

god i love this forum. You learn so much shit :neo:

davebee456
05-19-11, 20:42
I think I know now what is "too loose", I guess it happens to the best,
The DD Rep said that the tolerances of the upper and lower were "very bad"
I am sure it would not effect reliability but....
if you have your right hand on the pistol grip and and the left hand on the handguard and stock on your shoulder and your left hand can rotate the upper enough where the front sight moves a little thats where I was with my rifle.

Axcelea
05-19-11, 20:58
My DD has like no wobble, I can try to wobble it but I am not sure if it does, I think the magazine wiggle a little bit and tries to fool me. As mentioned though, wobble isn't a deal breaker unless its grossly bad.

As for the pins the pivot pin comes out easily, the pivot pin not so much although it is still a tool free effort.

munch520
05-20-11, 07:25
As for the pins the pivot pin comes out easily, the pivot pin not so much although it is still a tool free effort.

OP sorry to hear about your bad luck - good to hear DD is making everything good

Mine is real tight...which I'm fine with - as said above a toolfree effort...but barely

ASH556
05-20-11, 07:49
i just was going by all the other brands at the local gun store but no one here in atlanta carries Daniel Rifles.

Yes, Bullseye in Lawrenceville (Northeast Suburb) does.

Quentin
05-20-11, 20:30
Glad to hear Daniel Defense is making it right. Guess this proves a lemon slips out even from the best companies occasionally. Good for you to keep at it until you were sure there was a problem.

My new DD upper fits snugly on my ArmaLite and S&W lowers so you would expect nothing worse on a DD lower.

fireblast713
05-25-11, 21:14
My DD upper fits to my spikes lower with a very slight amount of wobble, it is slightly disconcerting, but I've been told it's completely normal, sadly I do not have a feeler gauge to test if i'm w/i spec...