PDA

View Full Version : SEAL Team 6 is a Mickey Mouse Outfit

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-14-11, 00:19
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/disney-trademarks-seal-team-6_b35689

Disney Trademarks “Seal Team 6″

Can't believe that they could do that? Maybe you could trademark a specific made-up badge that they designed, but I wouldn't think they could get the rights to "Seal Team 6".

Includes snow globes and Christmas stockings??? What no Ramadan whatevers?

They'd better donate a hefty part of the profits to fallen SEALs families.

Moose-Knuckle
05-14-11, 00:28
Disgusting. I wonder if Disney is now owned by the Arabs.

Marketing, they know that someone will make a movie about the raid. They're jumping the gun to make a buck. Disgusting.

There is a reason why the LAPD, NYPD, etc trademark their names and logos.

Suwannee Tim
05-14-11, 05:41
This is a perfect illustration of my premise, the Obama administration shouldn't be blabbering all over the world about the end of UBL. In fact they should be very, very quiet about it. Oliver North said UBL should have just disappeared. Taken by persons unknown to a place unknown and sweated day and night for decades to pry every scrap of information from his brain. When that was done he should have been tried before a secret military commission, found guilty, hanged then dumped in the sea. The only thing I would add to that is to not dump him at sea but grind his ass up and feed him to the hogs. Video it and put it on Youtube. But that's just me.

I do have to admire the greed had chutzpah of Disney Company. Realize though, anyone could have done this and the first to do it would own it. I can't see me stooping that low to make several million dollars. Yeah I can.:D

I can see lots and lots of military related things trademarked by their rightful owners over the next few months.

Suwannee Tim
05-14-11, 06:16
We should boycott Disney Company to force them to relinquish this trademark to some appropriate SEAL organization.

BrianS
05-14-11, 06:30
This is just an application though right? I mean for all we know they are gonna be told to pound sand, like many other people have for trying to trademark something that is either in common use or actually belongs to somebody else.

Donald Trump IIRC actually tried to trademark the words "You're Fired" at one point and was told no.

Disgusting. I wonder if Disney is now owned by the Arabs.

Ever since Aladdin I have had my suspicions.

:sarcastic:

The_War_Wagon
05-14-11, 06:55
I'm only dumbfounded, by the fact Surefire didn't trademark it first... http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

montanadave
05-14-11, 08:32
If they would have stuck with Cat Shit One Disney wouldn't have touched it! :sarcastic:

I smell a sequel with Packy and Botasky givin' Bin Laden the double tap.

militarymoron
05-14-11, 08:51
disgusting. my wife actually got pissed that disney did that.

anyways, maybe they'll revamp the 'pirates of the carribean' ride and give it a more modern look with SEALs taking down pirates and terrorists.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-14-11, 09:06
guys you cant trademark somthing that does not exsist. That would lead to all sorts of questions.

chadbag
05-14-11, 10:15
guys you cant trademark somthing that does not exsist. That would lead to all sorts of questions.

????

You can apply for a registered trademark for any sort of phrase you want as long as you are using it in public trade. You can in fact apply the letters "tm" to anything you use in public trade without registering it. Of course, you need to be able to defend it if challenged.

The_War_Wagon
05-14-11, 11:00
????

You can apply for a registered trademark for any sort of phrase you want as long as you are using it in public trade. You can in fact apply the letters "tm" to anything you use in public trade without registering it. Of course, you need to be able to defend it if challenged.

True. Take a look sometime, at who OWNS the trademark - and gets ROYALTIES - for the phrase, "Three-peat." You WILL be surprised... :eek:

WillBrink
05-14-11, 11:08
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/disney-trademarks-seal-team-6_b35689

Disney Trademarks “Seal Team 6″

Can't believe that they could do that? Maybe you could trademark a specific made-up badge that they designed, but I wouldn't think they could get the rights to "Seal Team 6".

Includes snow globes and Christmas stockings??? What no Ramadan whatevers?

They'd better donate a hefty part of the profits to fallen SEALs families.

America: Two Steps forward, one step back:

Are you F-ING kidding me????!!! Is it even possible for some greedy corporate dink to even consider how that looks?

Not a game, not a movie, not an opportunity for profit. Disney officially boycotted by me. Please pass around, and support a boycott.

Corps like that only listen if it hurts their bottom line.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-14-11, 11:14
????

All I am saying is you cant trade mark something that is supposed to be a secret and maintain anonymity of any sort. Deny deny deny

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-14-11, 11:22

????

It's a joke. Team 6 'doesn't officially exist'.

How long til Disney gloms onto "DevGru".

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-14-11, 11:43
my comment was a joke yes

Skyyr
05-14-11, 11:46
And in another shining example, otherwise-would-be conservatives go full libtard when the subject matter is about something they don't like. :rolleyes:

Spiffums
05-14-11, 12:13
Did they trademark the proper name? Is SEAL or Seal the proper term? There could be a legal issue if they were issued the trademark and tried to sue if use in a different way.

WillC
05-14-11, 12:42
That actually could be awesome ... Squadron sponsorship!
All they have to do is wear a Disney patch into combat and they get millions to do their job, finally bridging the gap between professional athletes and professional soldiers.
It could be the beginning of guys finally getting paid what they deserve.

chadbag
05-14-11, 12:54
Think about the TV commercial possibilities:

"Seal Team 6 -- You just killed Osama Bin Laden! What are you going to do next!"

"We're off to Disney World!"

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-14-11, 13:37
And in another shining example, otherwise-would-be conservatives go full libtard when the subject matter is about something they don't like. :rolleyes:

WTF? Do you see everything thru a political prism?

Skyyr
05-14-11, 15:19
WTF? Do you see everything thru a political prism?

No, and personally I don't like it. The truth is, though, that this trademark crap happens EVERY day, yet there's not a single thread about it. However, when Disney copyrights a military "trademark" of sorts, everyone starts screaming death to Disney - it's hypocritical.

If you don't like it, blame the system that allows it, not the company that took advantage of it, and then do something to fix it. That's not even touching on the fact that there is no official "team 6." Kneejerk reactions like the comments here are the reason we're in the mess we are. This is exactly like the lawmakers who pass overly-gratuitous tax breaks and then criticize the people who use them when they report near-zero incomes on their taxes.

I'm in full support of our military and think they deserve the utmost respect, but focusing on this is pointless.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-14-11, 16:51
No, and personally I don't like it. The truth is, though, that this trademark crap happens EVERY day, yet there's not a single thread about it. However, when Disney copyrights a military "trademark" of sorts, everyone starts screaming death to Disney - it's hypocritical.

If you don't like it, blame the system that allows it, not the company that took advantage of it, and then do something to fix it. That's not even touching on the fact that there is no official "team 6." Kneejerk reactions like the comments here are the reason we're in the mess we are. This is exactly like the lawmakers who pass overly-gratuitous tax breaks and then criticize the people who use them when they report near-zero incomes on their taxes.

I'm in full support of our military and think they deserve the utmost respect, but focusing on this is pointless.

It's in the GD, the whole thing is pointless! :D

Our intellectual property system is trully well screwed up.

Voodoochild
05-14-11, 17:59
That actually could be awesome ... Squadron sponsorship!
All they have to do is wear a Disney patch into combat and they get millions to do their job, finally bridging the gap between professional athletes and professional soldiers.
It could be the beginning of guys finally getting paid what they deserve.

Maybe or they force you to wear mouse ears and sign the Mickey Mouse song like the guys in Full Metal Jacket did at the ending.

CLHC
05-14-11, 18:41
What the mess? It's also been reported this week that MetroGames (Mountain View CA) trademarked "Team 6"!

Heavy Metal
05-14-11, 18:45
There are days I just want to pack it in and go live like a Hermit in the woods for the next 40 years. Reading shit like this makes today one of those days.

Have mankind no honor left?

**** Disney and the horse they rode in on!

If I could think of a harsher word than **** here, I would use it.

PrivateCitizen
05-14-11, 19:31
Temporarily as the Devil's advocate …

What if a theatrical production group at Disney produces the next 'Blackhawk Down' and does a spot-on job and pays the proper respects to the actual participants?

Do they still suck or do they get props for a kick-ass movie?

Someone was bound to make it … someone WAS going to trademark it …

Would we all be as pissed if it were Colt or FN or Surefire?

Heavy Metal
05-14-11, 19:40
They can make all the movies they want about Seal Team 6, they just can't put a legal claim on the title "Seal Team 6".

IMO, that is nothing less than stealing someone else's valor.

D. Christopher
05-14-11, 22:09
There's already a movie with the title "Seal Team VI" on Netflix. Don't waste your time, it sucks moose balls. One of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. Especially the last 15 minutes or so. Pure crap.

Trajan
05-15-11, 07:12
I wonder how this plays into their brain bleeding outlook on life as expressed by their TV station.

Low Drag
05-15-11, 08:10
It's time for Dick Marcinko to step up and say something. He's not shy. Since it's common knowledge he's the founder of Seal Team 6 he's the ideal man for the job.

He's an imperfect man (aren't we all) but will get listened to.

VooDoo6Actual
05-15-11, 08:49
nevermind.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-15-11, 09:27
**** Disney and the horse they rode in on!

If I could think of a harsher word than **** here, I would use it.

Minnie Mouse is a c**t.

That about does it.

It's time for Dick Marcinko to step up and say something. He's not shy. Since it's common knowledge he's the founder of Seal Team 6 he's the ideal man for the job.

He's an imperfect man (aren't we all) but will get listened to.

I was wondering if Marcinko was going to say anything. Doesn't he heave a lot of "Seal Team 6" stuff out there?

Maybe Disney will get smacked down. Maybe they are doing it so that when they come out with their animated series where no ever dies and part of the team are Arabs, they won't get sued by some guyliving in his basement copyrighting every word that comes across the AP.

I think they should only be able to use it if they put "SEAL Team 6 Land" in all their parks, including EuroDisney, Japan, HongKong and the new one to go up in Shanghai.

Suwannee Tim
05-16-11, 21:37
Hell's bells guys! Let's think outside the box! Maybe Disney will build a "Seal Team Six" theme park right between the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT! That might get me to go back to Disney for the first time in 30 plus years!

There's already a movie with the title "Seal Team VI" on Netflix. Don't waste your time, it sucks moose balls. One of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. Especially the last 15 minutes or so. Pure crap.

Worse than that Stephen Segal thing, what was it....."Under Siege"! Worst movie ever! At least worst I had ever seen!

BrianS
05-17-11, 00:59
Don't waste your time, it sucks moose balls. One of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. Especially the last 15 minutes or so. Pure crap.

Apparently you haven't watched any of his more recent films where he put on 50-60 pounds and started wearing sweaters his Grandmother gave him.

One of his movies he was an EPA investigator/badass. LOL!

Magic_Salad0892
05-17-11, 03:27
Apparently you haven't watched any of his more recent films where he put on 50-60 pounds and started wearing sweaters his Grandmother gave him.

I haven't seen SEAL Team VI, is Steven Segal in it?

I'm assuming he's who you're referring to.

D. Christopher
05-17-11, 05:28

Who are you talking about? The movie was full of no-name actors that I don't recall seeing before or after, so I'm a little lost on who you're referring to.

BrianS
05-18-11, 14:49
Who are you talking about? The movie was full of no-name actors that I don't recall seeing before or after, so I'm a little lost on who you're referring to.

My bad. Quoted you, meant to quote Suwanee Tim's reference of "Under Siege" as the worst thing he had ever seen... it is actually one of Stevan Seagal's better movies IMO, but that's not saying much.

Cincinnatus
05-18-11, 15:44
it is actually one of Stevan Seagal's better movies IMO, but that's not saying much.

Only because of Erika Eliniac! ;)

On topic: does anyone know what exactly Disney's doing this for? Movie rights or something?

Moose-Knuckle
05-18-11, 16:08
Only because of Erika Eliniac! ;)

When she pops out of the birthday cake topless is the only reason to watch that movie.

On topic: does anyone know what exactly Disney's doing this for? Movie rights or something?

For a buck.

WillBrink
05-18-11, 18:13
I was wondering if Marcinko was going to say anything. Doesn't he heave a lot of "Seal Team 6" stuff out there?

Yes, and there's no lack of people not real happy with him for it as I understand it. :eek:

Bowser
05-18-11, 21:07
As I said jokingly about this in another forum, maybe Kyle Defoor bought some stock in Disney recently lol.

Packman73
05-25-11, 09:00
Navy Fights Mickey Mouse for SEALs Trademark
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/25/navy-seals-fights-mickey-mouse-trademark/

My money is on the SEALS (always;))

Moose-Knuckle
05-25-11, 19:13
Navy Fights Mickey Mouse for SEALs Trademark
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/25/navy-seals-fights-mickey-mouse-trademark/

My money is on the SEALS (always;))

This is great news!

chadbag
05-25-11, 20:32
It should be interesting to see how it works out.

Since the Navy / Gov officially denies the existence of a "SEAL Team 6" or any variation of it, and does not use that name in public trade, they may have a have a hard time contesting it. (My comments should not be construed to be supportive of Disney, just stating facts as I understand them).

13F3OL7
05-26-11, 10:00
The ticker on Fox News this morning said Disney dropped their trademark applications for SEAL Team 6.

Bowser
05-28-11, 11:43
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/26/disney-withdraws-navy-sea_n_867297.html