PDA

View Full Version : Cavarms

turkey dog
05-14-11, 01:42
Got my eye on a Cavarms MK II lower. I know they are out of business, but is warranty/service for the lower receivers available anywhere. I like the idea of the one piece stock/receiver, just a little concerned what to do if repairs are needed.

Thanks!

SomeOtherGuy
05-15-11, 09:22
This may answer your question on service:

http://www.cavalrymanufacturing.com/CAV15/main.html

The new owner of the MKII design and tooling has been "pending" for something like a year now. I have no information as to why or whether it will still go through. I've browsed Cav's forum on TOS a few times but haven't seen anything on point.

Major damage to a lower typically isn't repairable. Cav Arms had been great about replacing damaged receivers while they were in business, but I don't think many makers of conventional lowers provided similar replacements (not that any type of lower tends to fail that often). Just buy a replacement if one gets severely damaged. Buy spares now if it's a future concern. My 2 cents.

I have a Cav MKII. It's light and cool and all one piece. But I would view it as mostly a plinker or light-use design. It is very light if you're looking to do a superlight build.

turkey dog
05-15-11, 18:23
This may answer your question on service:

http://www.cavalrymanufacturing.com/CAV15/main.html

The new owner of the MKII design and tooling has been "pending" for something like a year now. I have no information as to why or whether it will still go through. I've browsed Cav's forum on TOS a few times but haven't seen anything on point.

Major damage to a lower typically isn't repairable. Cav Arms had been great about replacing damaged receivers while they were in business, but I don't think many makers of conventional lowers provided similar replacements (not that any type of lower tends to fail that often). Just buy a replacement if one gets severely damaged. Buy spares now if it's a future concern. My 2 cents.

I have a Cav MKII. It's light and cool and all one piece. But I would view it as mostly a plinker or light-use design. It is very light if you're looking to do a superlight build.

Thanks for the input. I was primarily interested in the ultralight attributes but repair/replacements problems are something I'd rather not deal with. I guess I'll look for something more conventional.

Packman73
05-15-11, 20:41
I SBR'd my CAV-15A lower like 3 years ago. I didn't know at the time that they made those fugly composite lowers. I still like it though.