PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the RIA

Str8Jacket722
05-14-11, 11:45
Hey gents,
600 rounds through my RIA, 0 FTF, and 0 FTE, however, I decided to start my upgrade, not because I need to, but because I want to. To start I put in a Mil-Spec/Length 1 piece recoil spring guide rod, wilson combat 16# spring, and an ed brown plug. Love the way it feels as far as mechanical operation, and aesthetically it looks better without the FLGR. Trigger breaks like glass at 4.5lbs (digital gauge) so I don't think I need a new trigger, I'm in the market for new grips (smooth coco-bola does nothing for me) and perhaps a new mainspring housing. Any other suggestions from the SME's out there? Opinions valued Gents.

Semper Fi,

Str8

Guns-up.50
05-15-11, 08:54
Sounds like you are on the right path, get a steel mainspring housing. Even though you may not think you need a new trigger i would look into one ,new sear, hammer and disconnector(tooled steel) after some new sights and vz grips you will be on you way. Maybe a new high ed brown grip safety i love mine. There are so many differnt things to do to a 1911 when you run out buy another and start over

Str8Jacket722
05-15-11, 16:39
Thanks Bro,
I actually wrote down what you suggested and will start saving the money, and once this gun is finished, we'll run a few hundred round through it together before I push into the world of Colt. I'm thinking of getting the Rail Gun and making it all "tacti-cool". By the way (hanging my head) you were right, I did in fact fall in love with the 1911 design! We are starting to develop a very expensive habit!

Str8

Str8Jacket722
05-15-11, 17:12
Looks like the suggested improvements are going to reach about 341 inches into the old cow skin on just parts alone plus a few smackers for the proposed grips. Oh well, it's an addiction at this point and I'm not going to fight it! Let the games begin!

Magic_Salad0892
05-16-11, 02:52
How much money are you willing to spend, and what do you want to do with it?

Before some of us know what you want, we can't make a valid recommendation.

Do you want the gun to look pretty, or function better? (Compliment your shooting ability, is what I mean by that.)

I understand, you said you WANT these upgrades, not NEED, but I don't need an NY1 spring, and "-" connector in a Glock. I want them, and it helps me.

So, looks or performance? I get the feeling you want performance, but with all this talk of grips and such, it seems you either didn't specify, aren't sure, or I can't read.

No offence: I ask, because with people throwing suggestions out without knowing what you're looking for, and responding blindly, this would become little more than a thread repeated on AR15.COM.

Str8Jacket722
05-17-11, 19:36
Hey M-S,
Thanks for the post! Form follows function. The better it works, the more reliable I can make this, the better. Thanks again!

`Str8

R Moran
05-17-11, 20:10
Not sure what RIA you have, but I would question the wisom of spending a few hundred dollars on one.

All 1911's are not created equal. While many cheap ones may be reliable in the short run, many skip manufacturing and assembly steps, or use low quality small parts, that will not stand up to long term use.
You may very well spend more money upgrading a cheap 1911, then if you had just bought a better one in the first place. And, it'll still be a RIA.

Cylinder&Slide, and Nowlin, both have various "drop-in" trigger kits, that use better quality components, that will produce a nice trigger, that will stay that way, and be reliable.

After spending a lot of money on various sights for my 1911's over the years, I would not spend the money on having my slide cut for one. Unless it already has the Novak dovetail, I'd just get one of the various GI dovetail sights, like the 10-8, Kings, Heirloom(?) or even an MMC if you can find one.

Grips, I have a pile of them also. GI style checkered walnut can be found fairly cheap, so can the black plastic ones. Pachmayer, and Hogue make good rubber grips, VZ, and Gunner grips are top of the line. If you can find a pair of take off rubber grips from a Kimber or older 1991a1, they're actually pretty good.

Like I said, I have a pile of 1911 grips and parts, shoot me a PM with what your looking for, and I might be able to hook you up....cheap

Bob

Guns-up.50
05-18-11, 08:37
How much money are you willing to spend, and what do you want to do with it?

Before some of us know what you want, we can't make a valid recommendation.

Do you want the gun to look pretty, or function better? (Compliment your shooting ability, is what I mean by that.)

I understand, you said you WANT these upgrades, not NEED, but I don't need an NY1 spring, and "-" connector in a Glock. I want them, and it helps me.

So, looks or performance? I get the feeling you want performance, but with all this talk of grips and such, it seems you either didn't specify, aren't sure, or I can't read.

No offence: I ask, because with people throwing suggestions out without knowing what you're looking for, and responding blindly, this would become little more than a thread repeated on AR15.COM.

I do agree with you but i do feel that grips not only serve as a cosmetic repair they also do serve a function. The better grip the better recoil control. Im not trying to be an ass, grips arent the first thing i would up grade but they are on the list. Most of my suggestions were basic reliable up grades for any non-custom 1911

120mm
05-18-11, 09:30
I'm currently shooting an RIA GI, that, frankly, I can't see why I'd spend more on it than $20 for a cheap pair of grips, just because I like the way they looked.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/163841_1684656170711_1666843362_1594674_1064280_n.jpg

Bought it as a joke, initially, but ended up liking it enough to actually shoot it. Hope to shoot it more this time on leave.

Frankly, I don't see why anyone would want to add expensive geegaws to one of these. Start with something with a better roll-mark on the side, as others have said already, if you want to put a bunch of money in it.

I'm looking forward to shooting this one to destruction to see what parts fail, when and to see how long I can keep this surprisingly tough little turd running.

Which is not what I expected to say about a $350 gun when I bought it.

Nephrology
05-18-11, 12:18
I'm currently shooting an RIA GI, that, frankly, I can't see why I'd spend more on it than $20 for a cheap pair of grips, just because I like the way they looked.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/163841_1684656170711_1666843362_1594674_1064280_n.jpg

Bought it as a joke, initially, but ended up liking it enough to actually shoot it. Hope to shoot it more this time on leave.

Frankly, I don't see why anyone would want to add expensive geegaws to one of these. Start with something with a better roll-mark on the side, as others have said already, if you want to put a bunch of money in it.

I'm looking forward to shooting this one to destruction to see what parts fail, when and to see how long I can keep this surprisingly tough little turd running.

Which is not what I expected to say about a $350 gun when I bought it.

How many rounds do you have through yours so far? I have just over 1k through my RIA Tac and it is holding up so far...

Magic_Salad0892
05-18-11, 14:15
Hey M-S,
Thanks for the post! Form follows function. The better it works, the more reliable I can make this, the better. Thanks again!

`Str8

The thing that could make this thread the easiest to respond to would be a dedicated MilSpec sheet that could be followed.

Since there isn't (that I know of) I will base my responses with Colt (whom I consider MilSpec) in mind.

Reliability. Then Form. Thank you for answering. It will make it easier for us to help you.

First you should determine reliability, an adequate test IMO is the 2k round test stickied in the ''Handgun'' subforum. Once you shoot the gun enough, to where it starts to choke, you can determine problem points - which will show you what needs replacing/updating/improvement. Start with quality magazines, and good ammo. Stick with well known parts, from well known people.

Also, make sure the sights work for you, as most of the time this is the easiest thing to fix. I recommend Heinie, AmeriGlo, 10-8, and Novak. I'm sure Warren also makes them for 1911s.

Regarding grips, my favorite grips for a 1911 would be either the funky ERGO rubber grip, or Crimson Trace laser grips.

My advice is purely regarding reliability over form, which in my mind: is king.

Magic_Salad0892
05-18-11, 14:16
I do agree with you but i do feel that grips not only serve as a cosmetic repair they also do serve a function. The better grip the better recoil control. Im not trying to be an ass, grips arent the first thing i would up grade but they are on the list. Most of my suggestions were basic reliable up grades for any non-custom 1911

My post was never a dig at you, I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I understand what you meant.

Guns-up.50
05-18-11, 17:55
My post was never a dig at you, I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I understand what you meant.

No no it didnt i have thicker skin than that. No hard feelings for me

Str8Jacket722
05-18-11, 19:11
Gents,
Thanks so much for your posts! I can't express how much it helps me out. I've gone with pachymar grips for now, I like the added grip they give me with a little bit lower profile than the standard smooth wood grips but I think there may be some VZ's in my future. The slide is already dovetailed for novak style sights so I don't think that I will need to have the slide cut, new sights and the gunsmithing (read: fitting parts) are going to be the most expensive projects, but from what this gun has proven to me so far is that it is a shooter and more than worth the money to make this thing even more reliable than it already is. I'm very happy with the quality...(but I will be adding at least pony [more than likely a rail gun] and a plastic gun to my beginning arsenal).
Again Gents thanks,
~Str8

Nephrology
05-18-11, 19:21
Gents,
Thanks so much for your posts! I can't express how much it helps me out. I've gone with pachymar grips for now, I like the added grip they give me with a little bit lower profile than the standard smooth wood grips but I think there may be some VZ's in my future. The slide is already dovetailed for novak style sights so I don't think that I will need to have the slide cut, new sights and the gunsmithing (read: fitting parts) are going to be the most expensive projects, but from what this gun has proven to me so far is that it is a shooter and more than worth the money to make this thing even more reliable than it already is. I'm very happy with the quality...(but I will be adding at least pony [more than likely a rail gun] and a plastic gun to my beginning arsenal).
Again Gents thanks,
~Str8

The dovetail on the RIA slide is not a standard Novak cut, but it looks similar. It will need smithing.

R Moran
05-18-11, 19:55
It's good you are happy with your RIA, but, 600 rounds is just starting to scratch the surface.
The fact remains, that it is an off shore made gun, made to meet a price point, out of unknown quality materials, with unknown build/assembly quality.
Most people who are "happy" with them, never shoot them enough to push them hard. They also let the price color their definition of "happy".

My standard defensive response to people looking for 1911 info, is to go to 10-8performance.com, and read the articles by Hilton Yam, also go to 10-8forums, and read thru the 1911 service pistol section. All the info is directed at the serious use of the pistol, IE: Duty and self defense.

A 1911 operators course by Larry Vickers, is very eye opening. You will find, where even more expensive guns, skip manufacturing steps, or fitting steps, that will lead to reliability and durability issues down the road. These may not start to rear their ugly heads until your 5-10,000 rounds down the road.

Since you say it has the "Novak" cut, I assume you have one of the tactical models? So, it has the beavertail and ext. thumb safety? As noted it may not be a standard Novak dovetail, so sights will be an issue, what else may look like something, but it isn't. Another issue, when a particular gun's, primary mission, is to look like something better.

If I were you, I would hold what you got, and save the money to put toward a better 1911, like a Colt rail gun, or Springfield MC operator, at a minimum.

Sorry to "diss" on your gun, dude, but I would hate to see you sink good money, into what will most likely turn out to be a futile endeavor.

Bob

Nephrology
05-18-11, 20:23
It's good you are happy with your RIA, but, 600 rounds is just starting to scratch the surface.
The fact remains, that it is an off shore made gun, made to meet a price point, out of unknown quality materials, with unknown build/assembly quality.
Most people who are "happy" with them, never shoot them enough to push them hard. They also let the price color their definition of "happy".

My standard defensive response to people looking for 1911 info, is to go to 10-8performance.com, and read the articles by Hilton Yam, also go to 10-8forums, and read thru the 1911 service pistol section. All the info is directed at the serious use of the pistol, IE: Duty and self defense.

A 1911 operators course by Larry Vickers, is very eye opening. You will find, where even more expensive guns, skip manufacturing steps, or fitting steps, that will lead to reliability and durability issues down the road. These may not start to rear their ugly heads until your 5-10,000 rounds down the road.

Since you say it has the "Novak" cut, I assume you have one of the tactical models? So, it has the beavertail and ext. thumb safety? As noted it may not be a standard Novak dovetail, so sights will be an issue, what else may look like something, but it isn't. Another issue, when a particular gun's, primary mission, is to look like something better.

If I were you, I would hold what you got, and save the money to put toward a better 1911, like a Colt rail gun, or Springfield MC operator, at a minimum.

Sorry to "diss" on your gun, dude, but I would hate to see you sink good money, into what will most likely turn out to be a futile endeavor.

Bob

I concur. I own an RIA and I am happy with it but the only thing I have changed out were the grips (a gift, I might add.)

It is a fun plinker gun and if it was the only gun I had I would carry it but it is not a "serious use" gun. I mostly use it with a .22 kit to introduce newbies to shooting.

That said it could be a fun project, and a way for you to mess around with the internals of the 1911 model pistol. given the amount of error involved in fitting parts for replacement it will be quite the time and money investment - believe me.

That said do not consider it for much more than that - if you are looking for a reliable duty or self defense pistol pistol, look at another 1911 entirely.

120mm
05-18-11, 23:09
How many rounds do you have through yours so far? I have just over 1k through my RIA Tac and it is holding up so far...

Only a bit over 500+.

My deployment schedule, combined with my loving on my wife schedule doesn't let me shoot much.

Str8Jacket722
05-19-11, 16:46
Afternoon Gents,

Question: What's the difference between buying an "off shore" made gun and putting money into it vice buying say a Colt and putting the same money into it?

Question: If Colt and Springfield make such superior models of 1911's out of the box, then why do they need further upgrading to make them "more reliable" combat guns?

Question: What in your mind makes a 1911 "ultra reliable", and if there is no such thing (no "magic bullet" per se) to make the 1911 a hands down, no fail handgun, then why buy one in the first place?

Question: Why do we feel the need to defend what we spent our hard earned money on?

Point: The difference is the unknown, red blooded American Men trust Colt, they trust springfield, good reputations are held by these companies they aren't in the business of making a profit, they are in the business of perfecting the quintessential no fail handgun. So they would never, and have never produced a "lemon" right?

Point: The 1911 is a great design, JMB was on point when he envisioned this handgun, but he himself said that his masterpiece was the Hi-Power. Fact, the design that JMB loved the most couldn't even get a second look from an American company, he outsourced the design and had it made overseas by foreign workers. So, while 1911s, Glocks, etc. are FANTASTIC weapons, it isn't where they are made, but who made them, who made the components, and if they work well and seamlessly then you have the start of the perfect combat gun. In 13 years of military service, I have yet to see any single weapons platform perform flawlessly 100% of the time, some component or another can fail, be they Colt M16A1, A2's, A4's, Beretta M9's, FN made M4's, M249's, M240B/G's. Something is going to fail be it user error or component failure. Nothing out there is perfect, so you do what you can to your weapons systems to make them closer to the mark. That is what I'm talking about here.

Point: I'm not dick measuring here, guys with Colts, Springfields...they all got me beat in the size department, all I'd like to know is what i can do to bring my weapon of choice to a place that I like, that much more, making it a bit more reliable than out of the box. I get a firearm because I like it, I like the RIA, does that mean I cut corners when I had a Colt or Springfield in my other hand? No it doesn't, I liked the fit, and feel of the RIA, I like the way it functions, and I like the way it points. While I respect everybody's right to have their opinion heard, I'm a bit worn on the "should have saved your money" "should have bought the Colt/Springer" crowd making the point on what they spent their money on. I'm not going to be disrespectful of Colt (hell, I want one, I don't need it, but I want it) or proud owners of Colts, nor will I sit on my pedestal and look down my nose at someone who bought a Taurus PT1911, or for that matter guys who buy a 24/7, Glock owners, and H&K bubba's same thing, I'm not better then those guys because I have a 1911A1 and they bought a polymer gun, that would be stupidity on my part. They bought what they liked props to them I bought what I liked props to me. Enough brand bashing, enough dick measuring. I asked for advice on my current handgun, not whether or not I wasted my money, or should have gone with such and such a "insert your brand name here" gun. I've elicited your advice on the technical side only, those Ladies and Gents who threw out their ideas on how to make MY gun better, thank you, I appreciate it. Those of you who claim I wasted my money...thank you, but I'd like to ask you to refrain from now on.

Respectfully,
~Str8

R Moran
05-19-11, 17:34
:rolleyes: Answers in red.

Afternoon Gents,

Question: What's the difference between buying an "off shore" made gun and putting money into it vice buying say a Colt and putting the same money into it?

The Colt is made with better quality components, by an established company that has been making them for 100 years. They got it figured out, they did not reverse engineer the gun. They are built with the correct assembly procedures.

Question: If Colt and Springfield make such superior models of 1911's out of the box, then why do they need further upgrading to make them "more reliable" combat guns?

Who says they do? This is not 1975. Just about any Colt or Springfield is reliable out of the box. Chances are they will be more durable then the cheaper brands. Of all the Colts I've owned, I cant think of one that was not reliable out of the box. Any work I had done was for my preference.

Question: What in your mind makes a 1911 "ultra reliable", and if there is no such thing (no "magic bullet" per se) to make the 1911 a hands down, no fail handgun, then why buy one in the first place?

I moved away from the 1911 a few years ago, for various reasons. But, do some research, and read what real SME on the 1911 have to say, Like Larry Vickers. 1911's require a certain amount of hand fitting and finesse, if you will, to put them together correctly. Again, you can throw together a cheap one, and it may be reliable for the short run, maybe, even the life of the average shooter, who will only shoot a couple thousand rounds thru it, in its life. But, for serious, hard use, they will not be very durable. Poorly executed fitting, low quality parts, etc will lead to parts that batter themselves. Creating reliability and safety issues.

Question: Why do we feel the need to defend what we spent our hard earned money on?

I don't, you certainly seem to, though.

Point: The difference is the unknown, red blooded American Men trust Colt, they trust springfield, good reputations are held by these companies they aren't in the business of making a profit, they are in the business of perfecting the quintessential no fail handgun. So they would never, and have never produced a "lemon" right?

No one ever said that Colt or Springfield never produced a bad gun. They are in business to make a profit. They chose to do so, by producing a superior product. Other companies choose to do, by producing an inferior product, getting everyone to believe its "just as good as", then selling it "cheaper" and making profits in numbers. They're probably still over priced. See all the various discussions about low quality AR's on this board. Your chances of getting a lemon from Colt or SA, are far lower then some of these Turkish and Filipino made guns.

Point: The 1911 is a great design, JMB was on point when he envisioned this handgun, but he himself said that his masterpiece was the Hi-Power.

JMB was dead before the Hi-power was finished.

Fact, the design that JMB loved the most couldn't even get a second look from an American company, he outsourced the design and had it made overseas by foreign workers. So, while 1911s, Glocks, etc. are FANTASTIC weapons, it isn't where they are made, but who made them, who made the components, and if they work well and seamlessly then you have the start of the perfect combat gun.

Perhaps you are stuck on choice of words, "off shore"? I really don't care where its made. yes, I try and buy American when I can. SA are made in Brazil. I car how its made. Do you know who made your RIA, ( A name meant to invoke a now defunct US Arsenal. Much like SA)

In 13 years of military service, I have yet to see any single weapons platform perform flawlessly 100% of the time, some component or another can fail, be they Colt M16A1, A2's, A4's, Beretta M9's, FN made M4's, M249's, M240B/G's. Something is going to fail be it user error or component failure. Nothing out there is perfect, so you do what you can to your weapons systems to make them closer to the mark. That is what I'm talking about here.

Yep, I've seen the same thing, in my years of service. Those weapons were made to a standard, and they still can have issues. Mostly due to poor maintenance, and folklore. How well do you think a weapon made to no standard, or the standard of "bottom line cost" will do?

Point: I'm not dick measuring here,

Neither am I

guys with Colts, Springfields...they all got me beat in the size department, all I'd like to know is what i can do to bring my weapon of choice to a place that I like, that much more, making it a bit more reliable than out of the box.

By your own account, its been 100% reliable, correct? Thru 600 rounds? What would you like us to tell you? Until the gun is detailed stripped by a very experienced 1911 specialist you wont know where problems are starting to grow.
-How long will the tension last on your extractor?
- Is your slide stop properly hardened? Is it interfering with rounds in the mag?
-Is the barrel fit correctly? Is it battering the frame? The locking lugs? the slide stop?
- are the trigger components hardened and fit properly? are they starting to wear? Are the pin holes in the correct places, are they starting to wear?
- Is the frame, slide and barrel fit correctly? Not just tight, but correctly?

I get a firearm because I like it, I like the RIA, does that mean I cut corners when I had a Colt or Springfield in my other hand? No it doesn't, I liked the fit, and feel of the RIA, I like the way it functions, and I like the way it points. While I respect everybody's right to have their opinion heard, I'm a bit worn on the "should have saved your money" "should have bought the Colt/Springer" crowd making the point on what they spent their money on. I'm not going to be disrespectful of Colt (hell, I want one, I don't need it, but I want it) or proud owners of Colts, nor will I sit on my pedestal and look down my nose at someone who bought a Taurus PT1911, or for that matter guys who buy a 24/7, Glock owners, and H&K bubba's same thing, I'm not better then those guys because I have a 1911A1 and they bought a polymer gun,

Is that the seeds of a 1911 snob, I see?:D

that would be stupidity on my part. They bought what they liked props to them I bought what I liked props to me. Enough brand bashing, enough dick measuring. I asked for advice on my current handgun, not whether or not I wasted my money, or should have gone with such and such a "insert your brand name here" gun. I've elicited your advice on the technical side only, those Ladies and Gents who threw out their ideas on how to make MY gun better, thank you, I appreciate it. Those of you who claim I wasted my money...thank you, but I'd like to ask you to refrain from now on.

Respectfully,
~Str8

I am sorry your feeling got hurt. Unfortunately M4 carbine was not developed as a show and tell type of site. It was formed for a straight up technical discussion of firearms.
I really wish people would refrain from telling me how to act.

You asked for advice, you got it, now you don't like the answer, whaaah.

You wanna make it better? Better is a bit of a moving target. What do you consider better? For what do you wish to use the gun? By your account it is 100% reliable, how much better can it get? Right?

Here's an idea, why don't you send it to one of the premier 1911 smiths out there, and tell them to make it "better", see what they say.
Or take it to a Vickers 1911 operators course, and see for yourself.
Bob

Str8Jacket722
05-19-11, 18:10
:rolleyes: Answers in red.

I am sorry your feeling got hurt. Unfortunately M4 carbine was not developed as a show and tell type of site. It was formed for a straight up technical discussion of firearms.
I really wish people would refrain from telling me how to act.

You asked for advice, you got it, now you don't like the answer, whaaah.

You wanna make it better? Better is a bit of a moving target. What do you consider better? For what do you wish to use the gun? By your account it is 100% reliable, how much better can it get? Right?

Here's an idea, why don't you send it to one of the premier 1911 smiths out there, and tell them to make it "better", see what they say.
Or take it to a Vickers 1911 operators course, and see for yourself.
Bob

Semper Fi Bro:D

R Moran
05-19-11, 18:16
Semper Fi Bro:D

"ALL THE WAY!"

Bob