PDA

View Full Version : BattleComp tracking pattern?

YVK
05-14-11, 13:35
Haven't seen this in any threads, may have missed something.

I've been looking at how BC tracks on target for a couple of weeks, and I have rather mixed feelings. I know that device has been received with great enthusiasm; just wondering if it is me who is weird.

Observations were made comparing 2 BCs - 1.0 and 1.5 mounted on 16 and 14.5 inch barrels respectively - to 2 PWS units also mounted on 16 and 14.5 inch barrels. Everything is in 5.56 caliber and, with exception of SCAR, all gas systems are midlength. I don't know if I can muster a better sample size.

I found that BC has a quick lateral displacement off target, to the side opposite of support hand. It is nearly perfectly horizontal, and then it comes back on target fast. There is no muzzle lift or dip.
PWS has less linear response, it kind of hovers over the target, but overall displacement off target is less pronounced. I find that arc of tracking with BC is quite longer than with PWS.

Has anybody else had the same impression?

I do have one request. The above info came from shooting 5.5 circle targets at 50 yards in standing position. This is what's relevant to me, and that's how I make my judgments on muzzle devices. If you are not doing much of that kind of shooting, please don't post here.
I am neither interested in hearing how muzzle doesn't move when one's shooting paper plates at 10 yards, not do I think one can evaluate muzzle devices on short distances. Thanks.

mattj
05-14-11, 14:23
I have a 14.5" middy + BC 1.5" and don't notice sharp lateral displacement like you describe -- I'd go so far as to say that as long as it is timed properly on your barrel, it HAS to be how you hold the gun or something, as there is nothing about the BC's design that would cause what you are describing.

One possible explanation: the BC seems to combat muzzle rise more than it does actual straight back recoil. It could be that if you are used to more aggressive brakes that decrease the actual recoil more, that there is something about how you hold the gun or shoulder it that induces lateral movement under straight back recoil, so when you compare the BC to a more aggressive true brake, the effect is magnified due to the increased reward recoil (compared to the more aggressive true brake).

I bet if you play with how you hold/shoulder the weapon, that you can get that displacement to disappear or even go the OTHER way depending on your stance... sorta the same principal as controlling "bipod hop" with a bolt gun.

Stickman
05-14-11, 15:06

No.

I'm waiting to get some more BC units so I can swap out all of my PWS to BC. I prefer them that much.

Wormydog1724
05-14-11, 15:09
I've had some trigger time behind the Battle Comp and haven't noticed any of that. I've got quite a few vids on my YouTube channel of me shooting it in matches with the camera from a 3rd person view and on the gun as a first person type view. I think that they really show BC's true nature. Not saying this because they gave me a shirt to wear to shoot in. I really do think they are the best bang for the buck in terms of tactical compensators.

YVK
05-14-11, 15:13
First, I went and edited my post - "sharp" was a wrong word to describe dot's movement. The correct word is quick.

Yes, I thought the grip could be a culprit, but it was not. I varied my grip in a couple of ways shooting strong-handed, hoping that less aggressive hold would nullify it. No dice. In addition, I shot it weak-handed too - with same result.
The only thing I didn't think of doing was to shoot it one-handed.

YVK
05-14-11, 15:16
I've had some trigger time behind the Battle Comp and haven't noticed any of that. I've got quite a few vids on my YouTube channel of me shooting it in matches with the camera from a 3rd person view and on the gun as a first person type view. I think that they really show BC's true nature. Not saying this because they gave me a shirt to wear to shoot in. I really do think they are the best bang for the buck in terms of tactical compensators.

Do you have a link to gun-mounted camera shots?

markm
05-14-11, 15:19
I have no use for either of them. But the PWS works better but at the expense of more noise and blast.

Wormydog1724
05-14-11, 15:26
Do you have a link to gun-mounted camera shots?

A few of the "better" ones.

Some CQB shoot house at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWahvUaoQqQ

My first rifle match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tnwtILJH3g

Some weak-hand in this one *noticed some lateral movement when shooting weak handed. Attributing that to my lack of experience shooting weakhand.*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqEiGKjh6yI

No 1st person view here and pmag failure at the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOjkUrae29M

ETA: I guess these really aren't "intermediate distances" like you were wanting. But maybe it'll still help you.

YVK
05-14-11, 15:26
I have no use for either of them. But the PWS works better but at the expense of more noise and blast.

I've asked a very specific question, not whether you have a use for them, or what works "better". All I want to know is what people see their dot do when shooting smaller targets off hand at intermediate distances with BC on their guns. Thanks.

YVK
05-14-11, 15:32

My first rifle match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tnwtILJH3g

Some weak-hand in this one *noticed some lateral movement when shooting weak handed. Attributing that to my lack of experience shooting weakhand.*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqEiGKjh6yI

No 1st person view here and pmag failure at the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOjkUrae29M

Thanks man. That doesn't help me though since I can't see dot/reticle movement. Externally, my muzzle doesn't move much as well. It's dot's movement that bothers me.
Nice shooting, btw.

Wormydog1724
05-14-11, 15:37
thanks

mattj
05-14-11, 15:47
First, I went and edited my post - "sharp" was a wrong word to describe dot's movement. The correct word is quick.

Yes, I thought the grip could be a culprit, but it was not. I varied my grip in a couple of ways shooting strong-handed, hoping that less aggressive hold would nullify it. No dice. In addition, I shot it weak-handed too - with same result.
The only thing I didn't think of doing was to shoot it one-handed.

Tried playing with how the stock sits on your shoulder / the angle of your body with respect to the stock?

seb5
05-14-11, 16:06
YVK,

I've never noticed it with the 5 BC's I have mounted, so today at the range I put up paper plates at 50 and shot as you requested. From an accuracy stance, which I rarely use anymore as it relates to nothing I do, I too noticed the lateral displacement. I believe it has to do with the mechanics. Standing unsupported is our weakest position with the least support which causes you to attempt to stabilize your muzzle. By using a small amount of force to stabilize the rifle you have it locked in, so when you shoot it follows the path of least resistance which is away from your support hand. The BC's design ensures it doesn't rise, your elbow keeps it from dipping or going towards your weak side, so your support hands pushes it away.

If that type of shooting is what you regularly do I would think there may be other options that would be as effective for you with a lower price point.

Marty916
05-14-11, 17:52
During a very early local demo we ran, we had shooters run one of our BC equiped rifles for comparison purposes. I noticed a slight lateral movement with one shooter. He didn't notice it but I caught the movement. I found this odd as the BC is a symmetrical device and should not exhibit this sort of artifact. The shooter was right handed and the slight movement was to the right. I then asked a left handed shooter to give it a go using the same riflle, same mag with the same ammo, same shooting station, same stance and hold. I noticed a slight movement to the left that he also didn't notice. I don't like to draw any conclusions on a data set with an N of 2 but found this an interesting observation. You might try using a sandbag, bipod or other support and see if the muzzle still wants to move laterally. This will take any operator induced movement out of the equation. I would be very interested in your results.
Marty

sinister
05-14-11, 19:50
Subjective evaluations aren't going to beat documented tracking. You'll probably need to shoot the same rifles and carbines and track the actual deviation off center-of-mass using a NOPTEL, SCATT, or RIKA.

Shooter movement doesn't lie when you can see the track yourself.

GTifosi
05-14-11, 20:40
I found this odd as the BC is a symmetrical device and should not exhibit this sort of artifact.

Except that by the very act of holding the rifle things become asymetrical.

EG: AK 'slant' brake is angled the way it is for a right handed shooter to help push against that rightward jump. Change to left handed shooter and the brake has to be adjusted accordingly or the brake becomes ineffective.

You could spend an afternoon fiddling with shim washers to clock the BC to work better with dominant hand shooting, but that will in turn create some sacrifice on the off hand side of things or vice versa.

ucrt
05-14-11, 21:10

Just two questions:

If the timing is off by someone "eyeballing" the BC, could this be causing the lateral movement?

Would it be possible to time the BC to compensate for the support arm that is being discussed?

Thanks.

YVK
05-14-11, 22:40
Tried playing with how the stock sits on your shoulder / the angle of your body with respect to the stock?

Nope. That part I am not going to change. The device has to work for me, not me working around the device to make it happen.

YVK,

I've never noticed it with the 5 BC's I have mounted, so today at the range I put up paper plates at 50 and shot as you requested. From an accuracy stance, which I rarely use anymore as it relates to nothing I do, I too noticed the lateral displacement. I believe it has to do with the mechanics. Standing unsupported is our weakest position with the least support which causes you to attempt to stabilize your muzzle. By using a small amount of force to stabilize the rifle you have it locked in, so when you shoot it follows the path of least resistance which is away from your support hand. The BC's design ensures it doesn't rise, your elbow keeps it from dipping or going towards your weak side, so your support hands pushes it away.

If that type of shooting is what you regularly do I would think there may be other options that would be as effective for you with a lower price point.

Seb, I don't do any pure accuracy work. My measuring stick is MNQ because it is fast, easy to set up, well validated and reproducible. Since it is a timed drill, it can't be called just an accuracy test. Since it calls for multiple follow-up shots from 50 yards, it is a measure of accuracy and control.
I think your explanation is spot on, I am just perplexed at amount of movement I get.

I don't like to draw any conclusions on a data set with an N of 2 but found this an interesting observation. You might try using a sandbag, bipod or other support and see if the muzzle still wants to move laterally. This will take any operator induced movement out of the equation. I would be very interested in your results.
Marty

Marty, thanks for chiming in. I was hoping that one of you guys will say something since I am sure you're getting all the feedback from various users. So far your N is 4, as I know of another one user who alluded to concerns with BC tracking; however, I don't know if lateral motion is his issue. Overwhelming majority of users are quite happy.
I have started shooting BC only recently so the impressions so far are only comparative and non-diagnostic. I'll certainly shoot it off bags, one-handed etc to understand this better. As I said above, I think seb5 is right - the blast doesn't let it go down, the comp doesn't let it go up, the support hand doesn't let it go left (in right handed shooter), so there is only one way. Perhaps other folks are more skilled or have tuned in into BC better.
I'd certainly post my observations here.

Subjective evaluations aren't going to beat documented tracking. You'll probably need to shoot the same rifles and carbines and track the actual deviation off center-of-mass using a NOPTEL, SCATT, or RIKA.

Anybody has these toys locally? That would certainly be interesting. Do they differentiate an intrinsic rifle/comp performance from system (rifle/shooter) as a whole performance?
Short of that, what I see is what I say. During recent training event [that you visited] I dropped one shot out of center "this counts" zone on a final 50 yard MNQ. I shot it with 14.5 middy with PWS , and the dot never left outlines of silhouette. With BC, the arc moves beyond right edge of target stand before it comes back.

So here is a device that costs reasonable amount, doesn't trigger asthma attacks by kicking out loads of dust, keeps muzzle flat - and I can't run it. What a luck...

nowayout
05-14-11, 22:52
Take a close look at 1:25-1:28 I think I see some of the movement the op speaks of.

YVK
05-14-11, 23:03
Nowayout, I know what you're talking about, but in this case I'd defer to a shooter to make the call. If he says he has it on solidly, I wouldn't dispute it based on outside observation. There's got to be some movement there so we are probably seeing that.

shootist~
05-14-11, 23:04

Yes. (I just have one, btw.)

On a 16" Middy with carbine extension tube, H buffer & CTR stock. Enough to slow down 15 round drills at 10 Yds by a half second when compared to a Rainer XTC. (Even though you said you did not want to hear anything at that distance - lateral movement is easy to detect if you run comps.)

Same upper, but with a lower equipped with an Vltor A5 stock system it goes away, as does the slower times.

YVK
05-14-11, 23:19
Yes. (I just have one, btw.)

On a 16" Middy with carbine extension tube, H buffer & CTR stock. Enough to slow down 15 round drills at 10 Yds by a half second when compared to a Rainer XTC. (Even though you said you did not want to hear anything at that distance - lateral movement is easy to detect if you run comps.)

Same upper, but with a lower equipped with an Vltor A5 stock system it goes away, as does the slower times.

Oh, you're killing me softly here: I have an A5 stock on one of my BC'd rifles, it doesn't make much difference for me...I am hopeless.

RE distance: the presence of lateral shift can be noted at any distance, of course; just shoot a penny-sized target. However, it is easier to see at distance, and practical magnitude of such shift, in a dichotomous "OK" vs "too much" way, I can only assess at distance. That's why I wrote what I wrote.

Duffy
05-14-11, 23:31
RE distance: the presence of lateral shit can be noted

Would that be the kind of S in SHTF? :laugh:

YVK
05-14-11, 23:34
It is either too late, or I just slipped.. Too funny, though. Purely unintentional, I shift you not.

Duffy
05-14-11, 23:47
Hehe :sarcastic:

I have not noticed any lateral movement, but then my MRP is pretty heavy, with an old school SF M900 and a PEQ-15 it likes gravity too much.

Next time I'll pay special attention to it, but I rather doubt BC would produce this side way movement, unless a bunch of ports got clogged up and the comp is venting through one side only.

ALCOAR
05-15-11, 00:20
Footage I dubbed Aimpoint Vision and it's recorded while a BAC 2.0 is on my 10.5" for both clips...this one is during daylight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvHBlHehww

Aimpoint vision at night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU1omKk4UKg

YVK
05-15-11, 00:33
The night images I can't decipher, but on daytime video I believe I see multiple instances of what I described in my initial post - a very quick dot movement to the right, and then return back on target. Am I correct, or am I confabulating? Around 0:45, 1:02, 1:30 seems to show it well enough. There are times were it feels like the dot is going left, but in my experience, this is a late event due to overcorrection.

MistWolf
05-15-11, 04:09
Let's get back to basics. A right handed shooter, using a standard, "bladed" stance, fires a rifle with no muzzle device. Results: Muzzle rises up and to the right because the rifle is to the right of center line of the shooter's body, pushing the torso back and to the right. It's opposite for a L/H shooter.

Add one Battlecomp which pushes the muzzle down. While this reduces recoil, the rifle is still to the right (or left) of center line of the body, causing the muzzle to move to the right (or left) during recoil.

Without the comp, the muzzle rise has a more upward vector than lateral. With the comp, the upward vector is reduced, making the lateral displacement more obvious. Also, as recoil is reduced (albeit a more straight back vector) it's easier to track the sight with the eye.

I observe the same when shooting my FAL & my AR with Battlecomps. There is less muzzle rise, so the lateral displacement is easier to see and is more obvious.

I shoot the standard "bladed" stance as it's the only one I know. As I understand it the frontal(?) stance is used to give the shooter greater control over muzzle rise and pull the stock closer to the center line of the body to reduce lateral displacement of the torso. (If this is wrong, please correct me. I am merely repeating what I have read about why this stance is used.)

It's unlikely the BC is causing the lateral displacement. Indeed, it may be the lateral diplacement is also reduced, but more obvious as the recoil vector has changed to being more straight back

An Undocumented Worker
05-15-11, 06:23
I noticed what MistWolf was talking about last weekend. I was shooting at 100 yrds standing using the hasty sling method/bladed stance. I could feel my torso pivoting to the right around my spine allowing the muzzle to track to the right in the process.

I'll have to try some weakhand shooting to see what happens.

Evil Bert
05-15-11, 07:56
I hav e been following this thread as I recently got a BC 2.0 and I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Also, the rifle with the 2.0 doesn't have an optic. I guess I can throw it on there and just use it to see the lateral shift or not.

However, based on the MFR's observations with both the right and left handed shooters and OP's observations, it sounds to me that this has to do with the support hand and how it is implemented.

What I mean by this is, whenever you change out a major component you have to adjust for any differences that component may introduce. Such as lateral movement away from the support hand.

So if you notice this and it is consistent, then adjust your support hand to compensate. Try ever so slightly to increase tension of your support hand at a 45º angle away from the muzzle to compensate for the lateral shift. This is just one idea, but my point is you may have to adjust your grips on the gun or simply move on to something else if you can't live with the shift.

or you can try changing your stance to more like this as it reduces the leverage of the muzzle end of the rifle to move, similar to what MistWolf described:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2786/4430097095_d37b1dc1d5.jpg

I don't recall the OP stating what the followup shots were like or wether or not the OP even attempted to do quick follow ups?

YVK
05-15-11, 08:38
MW - frontal hold is used to reduce torsional force that gun exerts on a shooter by shortening the lever. I don't believe one can certainly say what displacement that torsion creates, other than you don't get rocked as much when you minimize it .
Regardless of that, if you read the initial post, I say that I don't get nearly as much of that lateral move with PWS unit - using entirely similar grip. The essence of me creating this thread was a) to see if I am all alone in this b) try to understand why this is happening when I shoot BC but not PWS, because I really want to run BC for other reasons.

EB - yes there were follow-up shots, as well as isolated ones, no difference.
This is my stance, you can see I picked up something training with MD, although I blade myself these days a bit more.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Heartachedoc/fp_lms2.jpg

sinister
05-15-11, 09:31
These should give you an idea how sight tracking works. The systems track the movement of your sight, the impact of the shot, and motion of the sight for a second after the break:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2zPkVJoR-I&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9iyRq4sJ7s&feature=related

Should tell you how much your dot shifts. Best to find a team that has the system and arrange a test rather than buying a system.

mpom
05-15-11, 09:56
Yes, I've had the exact same experience, at 50 yds, shooting offhand. More noticeable with 4X optic than RDS. Gun is 16" middy, w AFG2, left hand "C" w thumb over folded front sight, left hand pulling into right shoulder.
Contacted BC about it, and Captain Nick suggested trying a relaxed support with left hand in his (very quick) response. Have not had chance to try this out:

Hello Mark,
Out of many thousands of BCs mounted and fired, we have heard this observation from 3 guys so far. In 2 cases, we suggested that the shooter hold he rifle very loosely in the support hand and try again. We have found that after years of shooting A2-equipped guns, some guys are actually compensating for the recoil pulse they have become accustomed to and are pulling the gun to the right a little. If you try this and it doesn't work, you can re-index the comp slightly off top dead center as you described. At least one shooter found this to be a satisfactory solution. Please let me know your results.
Thanks very much,
Nick

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Mark Pomeranz <Sales@battlecomp.com> wrote:
Email: mpomeranz@pol.net

------------------------------------------------------

I've got my BC timed at 1200 on a middy. I am right handed and when firing
strong side, rifle moves to right (3:00). Wonder if you tried, or gotten
feedback, about timing it so top is at 1 or 2:00? Reluctant to "just try it"
as it was a pain to get it just right, using level and square after leveling
rifle...
Thanks,
Mark

EzGoingKev
05-15-11, 15:30
It is funny I saw this thread when I did.

Last night I read a post in a thread on TOS in which the poster stated he has several rifles with BC's on them and he times them slightly to the right as he found that works best.

It made me wonder and then I see this thread here.

Marty916
05-15-11, 17:28
Gentlemen,
The BC may be clocked to suit your specific shooting style with minimal impact on overall performance if kept within reasonable parameters. Clocking beyond 45 degrees from 12 o'clock may cause a slight loss in absolute vertical muzzle rise control and some potential increase in dust signature when shooting from prone. Some of our customers have done shooter specific clocking with very good results.
Marty

YVK
05-15-11, 22:17
Well, one of my BCs is perm-attached so I am out of luck here. I am going to try to time the second one, and I'd like to pick your cumulative brain here in regards to direction. I'll avoid clock orientation and use different terms for sake of ease.
I can try to time it so there is relatively more gas coming out of support hand side, or there is relatively less gas coming out of that side.
If the theory is that gas coming of left side of comp pushes the gun to the right, then I should give that side less gas.
If the theory is that the gas coming of the right side banks the rifle off my support hand and that leads to right-sided displacement, then I should give less gas to the unsupported side, therefore giving more gas to supported side.
Which one of the two do you guys think is more plausible?

GTifosi
05-16-11, 07:56
More blow off toward the unsupported side to counteract the push of the support hand.
(or if you prefer, to help make up for the lack of support on the trigger hand side)

ie: if setting up for right handed shooting, rotate the brake clockwise when viewed from butt to muzzle.

shootist~
05-16-11, 08:52
Which one of the two do you guys think is more plausible?

Under-timing mine did not work and if anything it was worse there as opposed to TDC (I'm right handed ans shoot from a traditional bladed stance.) I started mine there (under-timed) since that's the way we did early comps made from A2 flash hiders to offset barrel torque.

Even though it appeared to recoil right - and shot right on close range speed drills, it's very possible that it was really pushing left and I was fighting it. Moving to TDC did not do much for me.

If you already have it timed to TDC, it would be logical to over-time it a bit first; before removing from the gun and ruining the crush washer.

YVK
05-16-11, 09:15
Shootist, thanks, makes sense. I am not sure I can over-time it - I don't know if crush washer can give in any more - I'll try.

BTW, Sinister, I have it from a reasonably good source that SKATT system is POS. Jusy FYI.

ra2bach
05-16-11, 09:52
Let's get back to basics. A right handed shooter, using a standard, "bladed" stance, fires a rifle with no muzzle device. Results: Muzzle rises up and to the right because the rifle is to the right of center line of the shooter's body, pushing the torso back and to the right. It's opposite for a L/H shooter.

Add one Battlecomp which pushes the muzzle down. While this reduces recoil, the rifle is still to the right (or left) of center line of the body, causing the muzzle to move to the right (or left) during recoil.

Without the comp, the muzzle rise has a more upward vector than lateral. With the comp, the upward vector is reduced, making the lateral displacement more obvious. Also, as recoil is reduced (albeit a more straight back vector) it's easier to track the sight with the eye.

I observe the same when shooting my FAL & my AR with Battlecomps. There is less muzzle rise, so the lateral displacement is easier to see and is more obvious.

I shoot the standard "bladed" stance as it's the only one I know. As I understand it the frontal(?) stance is used to give the shooter greater control over muzzle rise and pull the stock closer to the center line of the body to reduce lateral displacement of the torso. (If this is wrong, please correct me. I am merely repeating what I have read about why this stance is used.)

It's unlikely the BC is causing the lateral displacement. Indeed, it may be the lateral diplacement is also reduced, but more obvious as the recoil vector has changed to being more straight back

this is exactly my take of the situation. with the few (very few) new shooters I have introduced to carbine shooting, almost everyone adopted a "target" stance with the gun held laterally across the chest and the support hand held vertically close to the magwell.

this works fine for single shots but as soon as you begin to shoot quickly it's obvious that lateral displacement to the strong side occurs.

the BC, like most any compensator not specifically designed against lateral movement, is neutral in that it resists rise. any lateral movement is related to stance and hold, not the comp itself.

what I would like to see is videos of muzzle movement with and without the BC. I bet there is more overall movement and the lateral movement is still there but is masked by this.

sinister
05-16-11, 12:33
I've only used the NOPTEL and have no experience with the SCATT or RIKA.

militarymoron
05-16-11, 13:53
I found this odd as the BC is a symmetrical device and should not exhibit this sort of artifact.

i know that i probably induce more lateral movement than anything else with my stance and the way i hold the weapon, but maybe a symmetrical device may still induce some movement separate from the shooter due to the twist of the rifling, however small. at least, that's why the PWS FSC556 and DNTC are assymetrical - the 'fins' are of slightly different height to counteract the twist imparted by the bullet on the weapon.
if so, it means that a symmetrical device might need to be clocked slightly so that it's completely neutral.

Dachs
06-20-11, 20:05
I've been following this thread, and I just got mine installed. I've sent about 200 rounds through it. I don't really notice much movement at all. That was probably the most surprising thing about shooting with it.

I only noticed what I can only describe as a 'wiggle' when a shot is fired then its immediately back on target. It happens so fast I can't really determine a specific direction.

Wormydog1724
06-20-11, 20:12
My latest BC in action video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVPobOdu1ds

YVK
06-20-11, 21:18
So far I have only been able to shoot my BC-d rifle off bags. There is a minimal, insignificant movement to the right. It is much less pronounced in comparison to what I get shooting from my regular stance. I'll be doing some experimentation with timing my BC during the month of July.

The_Hammer_Man
06-21-11, 09:52
The BAC is a fine piece of gear and has been showing up more and more here locally in Wisconsin. Both in the private sector and on LEO weapons.

I've personally "reclocked" several of them to meet specific shooters needs.

My personal view on it is practice. For instance, if like several of the previous posters you are used to "blading" then you ARE going do "blip" a bit to the right no matter what.

You have to train yourself out of it. The tried and true "thumb over/hard shoulder/ elbow tucked stance seems to the appropriate choice.

We had several shooters at a local range complain of the same thing. After about 2 hours of fiddling we, myself and 2 other gunsmiths and 3 of the rangemasters, all concluded that it was a "driver related issue" and that clocking the comp was one of the options open to them. The other, more time consuming choice was more training.
(as previously stated in other posts)

When I personally have issues with sight jump/blipping I usually track the problem down.. and its usually me :)

Regards,

TJ

jonconsiglio
06-21-11, 10:45
Both of my BattleComps (2.0 and BABC) and both of my Triple Taps show a weight bit of movement to the right. I shot a handful at 100 meters off of a bag and all showed movement, though very slight and and almost indistiguiahable on the 7.62.

My guess is it's the rifle and not so much the BC. A lot of guys time their BCs and Triple Taps to correct for this. It was so small for ke, I never bothered, especially with the way I typically shoot.

Having said that, I've now pretty much moved back to flash hiders in one form or another. I know I've said this before, but the Vltor A5 does almost as much for me as a brake does without any of the adverse effects.

If the BattleComp AAC 51t should become available, I'm sure I'd pick one up as I'd like to try it though.

The_Hammer_Man
06-21-11, 15:21
Well... as stated in a lot of the other posts in this thread....

It's all about "driver" comfort.

Whether its hanging a pink rabbits foot from your FF tube(Don't laugh I know 2 guys that swear by them!) or using a particular brand/type of stock helps you control your weapon better than do it. Hell do it twice!

That said, the VLTOR A-5 stock kit is extremely nice. I've changed one of my previously Magpul UBR stocked lowers over to the A5 setup and am very happy with it.

Also.. longer stock on the right side of your centerline will force you more left when the weapon recoils. Thus straightening out the issue you previously stated.

You did what worked.. not what looked "cool".

Congrats!

TJ

Tulsot
09-23-11, 08:21
I just got a Battlecomp 1.0. I put it on a 16" midlength government profile barreled upper. I am getting the same results (tracking right) shooting right or left handed but more pronounced right handed. My buddy has a JP rifle with the same barrel specs. His has a Yankee Hill comp (YHM-28-5M1). I do not seem to experience the same right tracking with his, however it's hard to say since his comp seems to offer much better overall control.

Has anyone used the Griffin M4-SD comp and if so do you get the same impression of tracking as the Battlecomp?