PDA

View Full Version : Turning a 6920 into a recce?

Wilco
05-14-11, 14:25
I know the Recce term is just an idea of what a rifle is supposed to offer.

I have a 6920 that I want to mold into that "purpose", without losing the entire rifle.

I want to hear your opinions. Right now the rifle has a CTR stock by Magpul, a DD Light handguard, original front site post, DD rear site.

I am going to get a UBR stock, and Giselle Trigger group for it.

I have a an acog TA01NSN (I know it is for a 14.5, but i've gotten it down pat for a 16" barrel), but was maybe thinking of getting a nightforce and one of the Larue based bipods by Harris.

Any opinions? I don't really want to swap out the barrel, I would imagine that it is plenty accurate out to 500+ yds.

Eurodriver
05-14-11, 15:02
What are you asking? I'm confused.

If you really wanted a "Recce" you would need a ~12" free floating handguard. But you already have an aftermarket handguard...

Warg
05-14-11, 19:57
What is your intended purpose? Is this going to be a range toy or a duty weapon?

FWIW, the UBR is a 27 ounce "upgrade" vs. 12 oz for your CTR with the RE.

TehLlama
05-14-11, 20:07
Longer Lite rail (or from stock, the Omega12.0FSP), and an ACS Stock would be my solution - without a big weaponlight, IR box, or suppressor on it, the ACS, EMOD, or SOPMOD is plenty of counterweight.

If you're already proficient with the TA01NSN, keep that.

rob_s
05-14-11, 20:25
I assume you have a DD Lite 7.0 on the gun now? Have you shot the gun for groups with a magnified optic at distance to see what it's capable of in it's current form?

I find the limitations on accuracy potential tend to be:

The Shooter
The Shooter
The Shooter
The Ammo
The Optic
The Barrel
The Trigger

The last two could be interchanged depending on the the previous 5.

Wilco
05-14-11, 21:20
It will be a duty weapon, not just a sit around at the range target rifle. I want to get it accurate enough to be a "long range" (500 yd) rifle, but in a smaller package than my 20" Colt.

I've trained quite a bit, including going to Paul Howe and Tiger Valley.

I will be shooting with good ammo. There will be an AAC 2000 suppressor on it in the future.

I'd like to keep the barrel it has on it, but the possibility of getting a Noveske Recce barrel can be an answer. I'm just not sure if getting that barrel will make all the difference.

It does indeed of the 7" DD Lite on it. A question, what difference would a 12" FF tube on it make?

Is a Nightforce going to make a huge difference compared to my Trijicon?

I guess what I'm going for is how to turn the 6920 into a recce/highly accurate (more accurate) rifle w/o blowing 2K. I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across - it has been a long day and the brain is drained.

I appreciate all of the knowledge and answers.

djegators
05-14-11, 21:33
Curious, do you find your 6920 to not be accurate at 500 yards in its current configuration?

msstate56
05-14-11, 21:44
I'm not sure what your definition of a duty weapon is, but if this is to be used as a LEO patrol rifle you should be much more concerned about 100 yards and closer. I don't know of many places where a 500 yard LEO shot would be justified (not saying it can't happen, just astronomically improbable). If you want to shoot at distance, go ahead, it's fun and I have a Mk12 w/ nightforce for just that purpose. But I wouldn't even consider taking it on patrol. I use aimpoints and compact 1.5X ACOGs for that. I think you have a perfectly serviceable "duty" carbine already.

Maybe you should just build a separate "Recce" upper to play with?

alpha.kilo
05-15-11, 01:45
It will be a duty weapon, not just a sit around at the range target rifle. I want to get it accurate enough to be a "long range" (500 yd) rifle, but in a smaller package than my 20" Colt.

I've trained quite a bit, including going to Paul Howe and Tiger Valley.

I will be shooting with good ammo. There will be an AAC 2000 suppressor on it in the future.

I'd like to keep the barrel it has on it, but the possibility of getting a Noveske Recce barrel can be an answer. I'm just not sure if getting that barrel will make all the difference.

It does indeed of the 7" DD Lite on it. A question, what difference would a 12" FF tube on it make?

Is a Nightforce going to make a huge difference compared to my Trijicon?

I appreciate all of the knowledge and answers.

Wilco, since this you say that this is a "duty" weapon I assume that you are a L.E. Officer with at least some experience.

I think if your mission is a 500 yard shot, a carbine is not the right tool. I suggest a bolt action in 308, 300 Winchester Mag or (my personal favorite) 338 Lapua.

As police officers we make life or death decisions every day. Usually everything goes OK and our decisions become benign. But that one time somebody has to use a firearm to make a 500 yard life saving shot, it has to be perfect. No mistakes. And I would submit to you that a 5.56 carbine is not the right tool for civilian L.E. to perform that mission.

In my 18 years of law enforcement in one of the five largest cities in the United Sates, I have never heard of an agency setting up their patrol carbines for 500 yard shots. I'm not saying 500 yards is an impossible shot with a 5.56. I'm saying it is not appropriate in the patrol officer mission.

Five football fields is a sniper shot.;)

AK

msstate56
05-15-11, 02:49
I agree with alpha.kilo. I have lazered parking lots in my town, and about the longest clear line of sight is 455 yards. At that distance I can't even ID a suspect or tell he has a weapon without magnification. I would have multiple buildings to use as cover to close that distance to 100-200 yards. With that said, I am much more concerned with close range dynamic shooting scenarios than I am with a long range static shot. You shouldn't think about a patrol rifle as a long range weapon. I should be considered a more powerful close range fight stopper, with the benefit of longer range if pushed to it. I don't care if the fight takes place at the hood of my car, I'd rather use my carbine if I can get to it.

Beat Trash
05-15-11, 03:25
I work as an inter-city LEO, so my needs and opinions are centered around that environment.

It would be hard for me to think of a realistic scenario in which I could ID an individual as being a threat and need to engage him at a distance past 100 yds. The vast majority of incidents in which I deploy my patrol rifle, are under 50 yds, and the majority of those are under 25 yds.

As a LEO, I'd be hard pressed to articulate engaging a suspect at 500 yds. If I were a State Trooper in the great planes, maybe... But in an urban environment, not so much.

With that said, the 6920 makes an excellent patrol rifle. Add a light, a RDO, a BUIS and train as much as possible.

As far as turning a 6920 into a recce? Yes, I guess it could be done. But if this is truly a patrol rifle for a Uniform Patrol officer, my question would be, why?

rob_s
05-15-11, 08:35
Agree with some of the stuff above.

And, we still need to know how you've tested your existing configuration and what you found lacking.