PDA

View Full Version : people with 16 inch middies

stag88
05-14-11, 15:59
How do h2 buffers run in them? I want to change from my carbine buffer but want it to still b reliable with running low powered steel stuff.

TX MOD 1911
05-14-11, 16:49
I've been running my 16" BCM middy with an H3 and it has about 2500 rounds of steel case ammo through it. I've had no malfunctions.

ra2bach
05-14-11, 17:17
h or h2, not much difference. a way to tune for different pressure ammo. seems to be the sweetspot for a middy...

Cagemonkey
05-14-11, 17:30
I run an H2 in my Noveske middy upper with no problems. Even cycled PMC bronze 55 grain with no hangups.

Dump1567
05-14-11, 18:20
I run the Spikes ST 2 in both my Noveske Middies. Based on info. I've read, it seems to be between the H and H2 in weight (or even heavier than the H2 depending on manufactuer). Both rifles have run 100% with commerical .223 ammo (55gr. Hot Shot & Federal AE).

RAM Engineer
05-14-11, 19:01
https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1540&bih=844&q=h2+buffer+16+mid+site%3Am4carbine.net&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Already more threads here on this topic than are healthy. The link above will provide you hours of reading enjoyment if you are into that sort of stuff.

djegators
05-14-11, 19:12
What is your need for changing out your current buffer?

robm
05-14-11, 19:46
I run just a normal H buffer and millspec spring and have never once had a malfunction with steel or brass over 1800 or so rounds. I have no need for any thing heavier as I have zero problems with the felt recoil or staying on target during rapid fire even with hot handloads with heavy bullets

bp7178
05-14-11, 22:06
What is your need for changing out your current buffer?

To be trendy I'm guessing.

stag88
05-15-11, 00:20
^^ not exactly.. Trying to soften up the recoil/muzzle rise. Trying to figure out a cheap way without breaking the bank

bp7178
05-15-11, 04:24
Yeah, thats kind of the going trend.

There seems to be a huge influx of guys trying to make the moving assembly as heavy as possible in an effort to reduce recoil.

Going to a heavier buffer may change the recoil impluse, but it doesn't really make it lighter. There is more mass moving back and forth inside the weapon.

I have a 16" with an intermediate gas system. With a carbine buffer, it probably has the lightest recoil, and really duplicates the feel of the SR15s. I've run it with a H, H2 and H3. The H2 and H3 started to feel clunky. The H gave it a nice smooth action. I suspect the gas port on the Noveske barrel i'm using larger than the older SR15 models.

My pourpose in testing the different buffers was to establish a baseline. There aren't that many 16" w/ intermediate gas systems. There are tons of 16" mid-length systems around, and its a pretty proven system.

I would suggest trying out a Battelcomp 2.0 if you want to work on muzzle rise, and not have to worry about any ammo problems. I would really suggest working on shooting the gun, and all fundementals involved.

I would also suggest shooting a typical 16" carbine gassed AR15 next to yours. Shooting the two setups back to back will give you a much better feel for what you're getting out of the longer gas system. Hell, shoot any carbine next to it, AK, FNC, whatever you can. The AR really doesn't have much recoil.

Hmac
05-15-11, 06:16
^^ not exactly.. Trying to soften up the recoil/muzzle rise. Trying to figure out a cheap way without breaking the bank

Putting a BattleComp 1.0 on my Noveske Light Recce made far more difference in controlling recoil effects than an H2 buffer did.

stag88
05-15-11, 10:13
Don't have the funds or I would totally go with the bc. Didn't they used to do monthly raffles on this sight? Thanks for the info guys

stag88
05-15-11, 10:14
Don't have the funds or I would totally go with the bc. Didn't they used to do monthly raffles on this sight? Thanks for the info guys

rocketman
05-15-11, 10:45
Putting a BattleComp 1.0 on my Noveske Light Recce made far more difference in controlling recoil effects than an H2 buffer did.

+ 1.

Yesterday I once again shot my BattleComp equipted BCM 16' Middy along side of my standard 6920 and the difference amazes me each time I do it. Save your pennies for the BC and keep things simple