PDA

View Full Version : Check out this Stripped M16 upper...

markm
05-14-11, 16:23
This thing is BEAT TO SHIT! :eek:

M16 A2 with Mil proof marks.

This thing had to have been USMC boot camp gun. The pics don't do the damage justice. That shadow on the Brass deflector is actually horrible gouging.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3728.jpg?t=1305408013

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3729.jpg?t=1305408154

mini4m3
05-14-11, 16:27
Whatcha gonna do with it?
:big_boss:

fhpchris
05-14-11, 16:28
I always see you guys complaining about the wobble between the upper and lowers, but none of your guns can be as bad as a few that were in my platoon @ bootcamp at the island....:laugh:

markm
05-14-11, 16:31
I'm going to get some black alumahide II, and re-deploy it. The inside is in great shape... where the cam pin normally gouges the inner receiver.

The insane thing is that it was shipped to me packaged in styrofoam peanuts. :confused: Why ****ing bother??:sarcastic:

Stump70
05-14-11, 16:39
The insane thing is that it was shipped to me packaged in styrofoam peanuts. :confused: Why ****ing bother??:sarcastic:

Funny stuff. :D

ALCOAR
05-14-11, 16:40
very cool, even cooler your gonna rebirth it.

I have used hydeII quite a bit on several 10/22 receivers, one colt lower receiver, and then a barrel or two...one piece of advice, be extremely thorough about surface prep with a quality degreaser.

HydeII pretty much bonds no matter what you do in terms of prep, but in my experience the less you surface prep, the more textured the finish will be. Some people like it on the one 10/22 receiver I had it the worst on, it was similar in texture to a light rhino coating or similar spray in liner. I surface prep'd the heck outta the colt lower and I got an extremely flat and even texture when finished.

I'd be interested to see the results if you remember to update when you finish it.

TOrrock
05-14-11, 16:47
Cool.

SWATcop556
05-14-11, 18:25
I wish some of these could talk.

TriggerFish
05-14-11, 18:41
It still looks a helluva lot better than my lower...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/Z06M16A1/Title%202%20Toys/Hydra.jpg

m4fun
05-14-11, 18:46
That is awesome. There is just something about being "well loved" like that. I would leave it and try to find a matching worn lower and furniture. A new take on the retro build.

darr3239
05-14-11, 18:46
I don't know what it means, but for me I've always liked the looks of battle/duty worn firearms over new ones. The only way new firearms develop character, is when they are used, and used heavily. Not worn out, not minus all their finish, just properly seasoned. Maybe I need a psychiatrist.

CLHC
05-14-11, 18:48
I'm going to get some black alumahide II, and re-deploy it.
Now if you were to "rebuild" it as is without the Aluma-Hyde II and shoot it, would there be anything lacking other than the "finish"?

chavez_e_chavez
05-14-11, 20:50

I actually laughed out loud!!!

connorh
05-14-11, 20:57
I wish some of these could talk.

That would def. be awesome. I'm sure they would have some great stories to tell! :cool:

lethal dose
05-14-11, 22:42
I always see you guys complaining about the wobble between the upper and lowers, but none of your guns can be as bad as a few that were in my platoon @ bootcamp at the island....:laugh:

Nobody worth listening to cares about "wobble".

Markm... that's a righteous upper. I've been wanting to do an a1/a2 build for a while... if I could just sell my Dissy.

cacop
05-14-11, 23:19
Some of 10 year old 6920 rifles look like that.

Duffy
05-14-11, 23:28
So the folks that put a piece of tape over the case deflector may be wiser than we think? :sarcastic:

Pappabear
05-15-11, 00:00
I'm going to get some black alumahide II, and re-deploy it. The inside is in great shape... where the cam pin normally gouges the inner receiver.

THAT IS FUNNY AS SHIT. "FRAGLE":sarcastic: STAMPED ALL OVER THE BOX

I'm sure you will make it a shooter!

Facejackets
05-15-11, 00:24
It looks like the Fed Ex driver tied that thing to the back of his truck and did about 90mph on the freeway before dropping it off at your place.

I'm sure the build will turn out great, I can't wait to see it.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you?

SeriousStudent
05-15-11, 00:29
Pssst - I'll make you a deal on a blem lower...... ;)

(Chortle).

I agree with the others. Don't refinish it. Make it look as salty as you can.

Then post the pics on TOS in a "lookie at my new rifle" thread. I double dog dare you. :D

markm
05-15-11, 00:42
I agree with the others. Don't refinish it. Make it look as salty as you can.

Then post the pics on TOS in a "lookie at my new rifle" thread. I double dog dare you. :D

No no no... I'm all over that notion... That was my thought when I ordered it. But the pics do not illustrate how messed up this thing is.

It's the worst looking receiver I've ever seen in person or on the tardnet. Both side of the upper are worn well beyond the annodizing ever dreamed off.

SeriousStudent
05-15-11, 00:53
It's awesome. I am grinning, thinking of all the pushups that rifle has witnessed.

I can just hear the DI screaming "You owe me eleventy billion pushups, you worthless maggot!"

I may have a really shitty set of A2 handguards to contribute. I'll have to look.

Wait till Sergeant Santoro sees this.........hahahaha!

SpaceWrangler
05-15-11, 07:17
Yowza! My series was alleged to have been the last to train with M16A1's at Parris Island (Series 3064-67, grad 11 Sept 1985), and those loose, rattley 20ish year old POS boot camp A1's didn't look that bad. (Mine was Serial Number 4854751, by the way). I'd love to know what the pictured upper has been up to for the past couple decades.

Shifting gears to guitars, I have a 1930's Sonata archtop that is in great shape with the exception of the finish being worn down to the wood on the back of the neck, and broad holes worn into the fingerboard. The thing has been lovingly cared for, but played a million hours. I am happy to be a part of its history, but would love to know where it had been before it found its way to my place.

An Undocumented Worker
05-15-11, 07:40
No no no... I'm all over that notion... That was my thought when I ordered it. But the pics do not illustrate how messed up this thing is.

It's the worst looking receiver I've ever seen in person or on the tardnet. Both side of the upper are worn well beyond the annodizing ever dreamed off.

Then make the worst looking AR-15 you've ever made. It just doesn't seem right to refinish that reciever.

markm
05-15-11, 09:36
Then make the worst looking AR-15 you've ever made. It just doesn't seem right to refinish that reciever.

I hear what you're saying. But even my worst looking lower would look factory fresh compared to this thing... It'd just look silly, half and half.

Plus I have a brand new FMNI 20" A2 barrel to put on this thing.

markm
05-15-11, 09:41
By the way... these are At SARCO for $45 if anyone wants to get one.

http://e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=ar361

jeffreywt
05-15-11, 10:47
In the guitar world, people pay big bucks for something that looks beat to shit. I like the look but the relic concept is dumb.

Honest wear is not dumb. Another vote from me for a retro build on that piece if you can source similar condition but functional parts.

usmcvet
05-15-11, 12:03
Holy Shit! Did you ask for the nastiest one they had? The photo from the link looks pretty good. What do you figure all the small parts to complete just the upper will cost you minus the bbl assembly.

markm
05-15-11, 12:22
Holy Shit! Did you ask for the nastiest one they had? The photo from the link looks pretty good. What do you figure all the small parts to complete just the upper will cost you minus the bbl assembly.

Their photo is of one of their NEW a2 uppers. And I knew that because of the review on their website.

They have New stripped A2 uppers, but I'm honestly more comfortable with a beat up A2 with proof marks than I am with a who knows what upper made by "mil suppliers". Especially since they sell a lot of non mil barrel configs.

SpaceWrangler
05-15-11, 16:04
In the guitar world, people pay big bucks for something that looks beat to shit. I like the look but the relic concept is dumb.

Yup. Fender has a line of guitars called "Road Wear"... brand new instruments that Fender Custom Shop workers sand, polish, and chip to make them look worn like Rory Gallagher's Strat. Poseur guitars is what they are.

Honest wear on a well-used item (guitar, rifle) is way cool.

usmcvet
05-15-11, 16:21
It still looks a helluva lot better than my lower...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/Z06M16A1/Title%202%20Toys/Hydra.jpg

Ouch what is the story behind that? Obviously destroyed but where/why?

scottryan
05-15-11, 18:12
That upper is most likely from the first run of rifles made by Colt when the M16A2 was put into service.

markm
05-15-11, 22:08
That upper is most likely from the first run of rifles made by Colt when the M16A2 was put into service.

Very cool. Just by looking at it, it doesn't appear to have been fired extensively, but the Charging handle latch notch is very chewed up.

The gas tube hole had very little carbon build up in it and the cam pin had not peened the upper much at all.

MassMark
05-15-11, 22:18
I love how their website says: Unlimited In Stock"... Would love to find a lower equally as beat and give it new guts - make a sleeper out of it.

rojocorsa
05-15-11, 22:23
Damn, I would have never thought that this kind of erosion could happen on a gun.

Tangentially speaking, I did never understand why someone would pay extra to have their things intentionally distressed. Apparently, this is all the rage to do on some guns these days. But why not give it some character yourself?

jackblack73
05-15-11, 22:30
Very cool. Just by looking at it, it doesn't appear to have been fired extensively, but the Charging handle latch notch is very chewed up.

That begs the question, will a charging handle remain latched during fire? I've been wondering about wear in that area lately.

Tiny86
05-15-11, 22:53
Thats awesome!!

SpaceWrangler
05-15-11, 22:56
Since the finish isn't much of an issue, a competent welder could TIG a small bead on the worn spot, which could then be filed and fitted to specs.

markm
05-16-11, 08:27
That begs the question, will a charging handle remain latched during fire? I've been wondering about wear in that area lately.

There's plenty of meat left in that spot. There's deep scoring in the recessed area where the latch rests in the closed position. But I have no doubt that the CH will function fine for thousands of rounds.

ReaperAZ
05-16-11, 08:30
Man that is pretty cool. Can't wait to see how it is brought back to life.

TriggerFish
05-16-11, 12:05
Ouch what is the story behind that? Obviously destroyed but where/why?
A vendor at the '10 PHX S.A.R. Show had a barrel of de-milled .gov "parts", I found this one for use as a paper weight.

usmcvet
05-16-11, 13:38
A vendor at the '10 PHX S.A.R. Show had a barrel of de-milled .gov "parts", I found this one for use as a paper weight.

If it could only talk. The history there is impressive. Our PD recived an A1 in excellent to new conditon with a serial number in the 300,000 range!

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=299&pictureid=1428

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=299&pictureid=1427

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=299&pictureid=1433

markm
05-16-11, 19:33
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3731.jpg?t=1305592309

usmcvet
05-16-11, 19:52
What a huge difference. Good to see I'm not the only one using my desk and kitchen table as a work space.

markm
05-16-11, 20:51
Yep. My work bench has two presses on it for reloading. So I can't bolt my vise down.

I had all the crap out to put a rail, Noveske end plate, and Silencer mount for another member's 6933... so I just jumped into this project.

gew98
05-18-11, 18:14
This thread reminds me of a thread posted over at Wehrmacht awards forums where a guy posted pics his father took while an armorer in thailand repairing rifles coming out of vietnam during the conflict there. Couple pics of rusted & smashed M16's to include a bunch with bullet holes !.

gew98
05-18-11, 18:16

I see you like the old school triangular handguards too !. I took my M4orgery and pulled off the round weenies and put a set of PK retro M4 length triangulars on it...love'em.

markm
05-18-11, 18:48
I see you like the old school triangular handguards too !. I took my M4orgery and pulled off the round weenies and put a set of PK retro M4 length triangulars on it...love'em.

Actually I put the round handguards on this upper. They work with the triangular end cap. I hope to shoot it this weekend.

gew98
05-18-11, 19:44
Actually I put the round handguards on this upper. They work with the triangular end cap. I hope to shoot it this weekend.

I am aware of that as I replaced many of them when the triangle handguards ran dry for replacement. I assumed you had triangular handguards at the ready as so many are a bit purist these days that they will put the round plate for round HG's and vis versa.

markm
05-18-11, 21:09
This is an FNMI M16a2 barrel 1/7 etc. So I just ran with the beat up a2 hand guards I have.

Warg
05-18-11, 21:35

On the breakfast table? Ha. Either you're single or the wife/girlfriend is out of town. :D

ReaperAZ
05-19-11, 08:26
It's ALIVE!

Be sure to post up the finished product. I have been having an itch lately for a 20" bare bones rifle and this may just sway me to start one.

markm
05-19-11, 09:05
It's ALIVE!

Be sure to post up the finished product. I have been having an itch lately for a 20" bare bones rifle and this may just sway me to start one.

It's ready to shoot. Pick up one of those FNMI barrels at gunnysurplus, a gas tube, and a delta ring.

I can't believe how light the Govt profile barrel is. My 20" gun for the last 12 years was an HBAR.

outrider627
05-19-11, 10:18
It's ready to shoot. Pick up one of those FNMI barrels at gunnysurplus, a gas tube, and a delta ring.

I can't believe how light the Govt profile barrel is. My 20" gun for the last 12 years was an HBAR.

That does not sound like fun. The weight difference between my dad's Colt SP1 and SP2 are immediately noticeable, even though its only a few ounces. HBAR adds at least a pound to the A2 barrel right?

Scoby
05-19-11, 10:26
That is really cool. If only that upper could tell of its' experiences.

Keep us posted.

markm
05-19-11, 10:28
That does not sound like fun. The weight difference between my dad's Colt SP1 and SP2 are immediately noticeable, even though its only a few ounces. HBAR adds at least a pound to the A2 barrel right?

The HBAR never bothered me at all. I never used it in a class or anything... but out in the bush I carried it all over the place.

I don't know the exact weight diff, but it's got to be at least a pound.

thei3ug
05-19-11, 11:57
On the breakfast table? Ha. Either you're single or the wife/girlfriend is out of town. :D

Heh. I felt so good when I saw that photo. I'm usually scrambling to clean up by the time the wife gets home.

markm
05-20-11, 20:37
:cool:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/photo.jpg?t=1305941773

usmcvet
05-20-11, 20:46
:cool:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/photo.jpg?t=1305941773

"This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine........."

markm
05-20-11, 20:57
This thing came out great. Shot a 2 inch 5 shot group at a hundred with the A2 sights... and ran great.

I'm convinced that the Marine Corps is the only branch that could have beaten this upper so badly...

usmcvet
05-20-11, 21:01
I had a few with almost no finish on them but yours was Beat to hell!

SpaceWrangler
05-20-11, 22:43
I'm convinced that the Marine Corps is the only branch that could have beaten this upper so badly...

Urrah! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Stretch67/cheeky-smiley-025.gif

Cagemonkey
05-21-11, 07:14
"This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine........."
Amen Brother. Brings back memories. Awesome job markm!

Pappabear
05-21-11, 12:05
Mark's rifle ran like a champ too. It pilled up brass in a neat little pile for reloading. I was impressed that beaten to shit piece of metal turned into a rifle. I was thinking, your going to put that new barrel on that THANG, LESSON LEARNED FOR PB.