PDA

View Full Version : I want to build an M4 knock off

Fozzy
05-14-11, 16:56
I don't really even know where to start. I am thinking about building a civilian knockoff of the M-4 that my son carried in Iraq. Since I am and old "iron sights" ex grunt from the 80's. I'm not even sure where to start. I have some pictures of the weapon that he carried along with the M-14 that he also carried. Since I'm not made of money.. I can't come close to building both.

I'm new here, so If I've posted in the wrong place.. feel free to prod me into the right direction.

Packman73
05-14-11, 16:59
This place is a treasure trove of info. You definitely came to the right place. Use the orange search button and I'm positive you'll find what you are looking for.

Fozzy
05-14-11, 17:04
Thanks, Packerfan (I used to live three blocks from Lambeau Field) I will start using the search also.. just wanted to more or less say "howdy".. thanks for the response! :)

TOrrock
05-14-11, 17:11
Fozzy, the absolute easiest way to do it right is to buy a Colt 6920, which you can pick up for around $1K right now.

This is the civilian semi auto version of the USGI M4 Carbine, made by the same people. The only difference is the 16" barrel vs. the USGI 14.5" barrel and the lack of full auto or burst on the selector.

Welcome to the board.

Fozzy
05-14-11, 17:23
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/FozzyNOK/20079_234607658998_600713998_3238735_4258800_n.jpg
This is what I'm talking about.. Being as I carried only an old "iron sight" M-16, M-203 and M-60 and crewed a "Ma Deuce".. I have no idea what any of the "goodies" are on this thing. I know one is a lazer but the others are a mystery..

87GN
05-14-11, 17:29
Colt M4, Aimpoint M68 (CompM2) with standard mount, Knight's Armament M4 RAS and vertical grip, Surefire M951 or M952, Matech BUIS, HK magazine.

I think the laser is a PEQ-2, but I've never been good at identifying them. Unless you want to buy NVGs as well, it's not of much use. I think the tape switch is going from the PEQ-2 to the VFG.

TOrrock
05-14-11, 17:29
The optic is a M68 from Aimpoint, which you can buy as a M2, or the upgraded M3. To keep costs down, there is also the C3 and the new Ampoint Pro, which are basically the same optic but not night vision compatible and less water proof, but still plenty water resistant for any non military use.

There's a Surefire weapons light on there, which there are multiple levels of cost on.

A Knights Armament (KAC) RAS rail system.

All of these can be purchased on the used market to keep costs down, but I'd avoid Ebay because of all the Chicom airsoft clone crap, and buy from reputable members on reputable boards.

cgcorrea
05-14-11, 17:34
Colt M4, Aimpoint M68 (CompM2) with standard mount, Knight's Armament M4 RAS and vertical grip, Surefire M951 or M952, Matech BUIS, HK magazine.

I think the laser is a PEQ-2, but I've never been good at identifying them. Unless you want to buy NVGs as well, it's not of much use. I think the tape switch is going from the PEQ-2 to the VFG.

Looks like a PEQ-2 to me as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fozzy
05-14-11, 17:35
The optic is a M68 from Aimpoint, which you can buy as a M2, or the upgraded M3. To keep costs down, there is also the C3 and the new Ampoint Pro, which are basically the same optic but not night vision compatible and less water proof, but still plenty water resistant for any non military use.

There's a Surefire weapons light on there, which there are multiple levels of cost on.

A Knights Armament (KAC) RAS rail system.

All of these can be purchased on the used market to keep costs down, but I'd avoid Ebay because of all the Chicom airsoft clone crap, and buy from reputable members on reputable boards.

Awesome.. looking at the basic machine right now, I do have a fairly decent gun shop here in town and the last time I was there, they had an AR and an M-4. We were there with one of Micheal's team members.. he didn't want to touch the M-4 or he would have had to buy it..lol

TOrrock
05-14-11, 17:41
Just bear in mind that there are a lot of carbines out there made by a lot of different manufacturers that look like a real M4, but are made with substandard components and without good quality control.

Colt is the only supplier of military M4's and M4A1's. The Colt 6920 is the Gold Standard for AR M4 type carbines.

Similar AR carbines that are acceptable in material and quality are sold by LMT, Bravo Co., and Daniel Defense. Pricing will be just under $1K to around $1,200.00.

Manufacturers that are commonly encountered in gun shops that are not made to the same specs or with the same quality control, but look very similar to a quality M4 type carbine, and should be avoided, are DPMS, Bushmaster, Double Star, Stag, Rock River, and Olympic Arms. S&W also makes a M4 type carbine which is acceptable, but for what you can get a Colt, Daniel Defense, Bravo Co., or LMT for, I really wouldn't mess with it.

Hope that helps.

Cagemonkey
05-14-11, 17:47
Fozzy, the absolute easiest way to do it right is to buy a Colt 6920, which you can pick up for around $1K right now.

This is the civilian semi auto version of the USGI M4 Carbine, made by the same people. The only difference is the 16" barrel vs. the USGI 14.5" barrel and the lack of full auto or burst on the selector.

Welcome to the board.Templar pretty much summed it up. You could also put together a BCM lower with a BCM M4 14.5" upper with a permed extended flash suppressor.

AMMOTECH
05-14-11, 17:57
Manufacturers that are commonly encountered in gun shops that are not made to the same specs or with the same quality control, but look very similar to a quality M4 type carbine, and should be avoided, are DPMS, Bushmaster, Double Star, Stag, Rock River, and Olympic Arms.[/b] S&W also makes a M4 type carbine which is acceptable, but for what you can get a Colt, Daniel Defense, Bravo Co., or LMT for, I really wouldn't mess with it.

Hope that helps.

+1 That right there covers it.

Take a look around the Equipment Exchange:
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=108
You can find good deals on great stuff from time to time.

Packman73
05-14-11, 18:06
Thanks, Packerfan (I used to live three blocks from Lambeau Field) I will start using the search also.. just wanted to more or less say "howdy".. thanks for the response! :)
Well, welcome and go Pack go!:cool:

Dump1567
05-14-11, 18:09
Here's one I just built. BCM upper with 14.5" barrel and perm. attached extended flash hider. I prefer the look of the shorter 14.5" w/FH than the 16" with FH.

Here's where I got my upper:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-14-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-A2X-p/bcm-urg-m4-14%20a2x.htm

CMMG also makes a 14.7" barrel upper with permanet A2 FH that's not extended. IMHO, this is the best looking copy of the orig. M4 (without going SBR) since it has the standard FH. It just isn't the quality of the BCM.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-14.7-M4-Carbine-Upper-with-Permanent-A2-Flash-Hider-990

Buy a lower with a standard M4 style stock and start adding the parts listed above. Ultimately that's probably what I'll do with mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Dump1567/IM007438.jpg

CLHC
05-14-11, 18:30
Just bear in mind that there are a lot of carbines out there made by a lot of different manufacturers that look like a real M4, but are made with substandard components and without good quality control.

Colt is the only supplier of military M4's and M4A1's. The Colt 6920 is the Gold Standard for AR M4 type carbines.

Similar AR carbines that are acceptable in material and quality are sold by LMT, Bravo Co., and Daniel Defense. Pricing will be just under $1K to around $1,200.00.

Manufacturers that are commonly encountered in gun shops that are not made to the same specs or with the same quality control, but look very similar to a quality M4 type carbine, and should be avoided, are DPMS, Bushmaster, Double Star, Stag, Rock River, and Olympic Arms. S&W also makes a M4 type carbine which is acceptable, but for what you can get a Colt, Daniel Defense, Bravo Co., or LMT for, I really wouldn't mess with it.

Hope that helps.
A very solid and sound advice!

Eurodriver
05-14-11, 19:07
Fozzy,

I'm sorry for your loss. By going with a Colt 6920 you will be carrying an almost exact copy of what your son did.

Putting a Knights M4 RAS on it and getting an Aimpoint will be just what you see in the picture, minus the laser and flashlight.

fp2000h
05-14-11, 20:59

Hope that helps.

I tend to agree with this. I happen to think CMMG puts together a decent rig, too.

Fozzy
05-14-11, 21:12
Thanks folks.. that gives me more to work on..

txbrenek
05-14-11, 21:29

Hope that helps.

The Fn is also making M-4's for the Military and believe it or not during Oper.Desert storm Bushmaster rifles were issued and had a contract with the Defense Dept. Do not flame me until you done some research on it ;)

Eurodriver
05-14-11, 21:38
The Fnn is also making M-4's for the Military and believe it or not during Oper.Desert storm Bushmaster rifles were issued and had a contract with the Defense Dept. Do not flame me until you done some research on it ;)

Sandman, is that you?

TOrrock
05-14-11, 21:50
The Fn is also making M-4's for the Military and believe it or not during Oper.Desert storm Bushmaster rifles were issued and had a contract with the Defense Dept. Do not flame me until you done some research on it ;)

FN does not make M4's for the military. They have made some for trials, I've held one.

Bushmaster has/had a contract with the State Dept., yes, for equipping foreign militaries (Georgia carried Bushmasters in their short war with Russia in '08) and for security personnel, some of whom are moderators on this board (Iraqgunz) and who have posted detailed issues with them.

Don't derail this thread.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-14-11, 21:56
Dead horse smack 255: Colt 6920