PDA

View Full Version : Lightening up the front end

Crow Hunter
05-15-11, 12:50
I currently have my 6920 outfitted with a MI FSB mount and a Surefire 6P along with a old 1" Leupold scope ring that I am using to mount my light.

It makes the rifle too front heavy. I have another 6920 that doesn't have a mounted light and it feels like a dream in comparison.

What are some options on lightening up that front end without resorting to reprofiling/chopping barrels?

Are there lighter weight light alternative setups that are still in the same price range?

Dunderway
05-15-11, 13:05
You could shave down the side of the MI mount that you are not using, as some members here have done, and then swap the 6P for a TLR1.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
05-15-11, 13:21
You can swap the 6P (5.2oz) for a Surefire G2X (4.4) or a Streamlight PolyTac LED (4.4), both of which have higher lumen output.

Next, you can swap your M4 Double Heat Shield hand guard (8.9oz) for a Magoul MOE (6.2).

Hope this helps!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

AMMOTECH
05-15-11, 13:23
Go with a different/smaller light with built in mount.

--TLR-3 Black Polymer Body C4 LED 90 Lumens--

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/STA72879.jpg

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=165

Can be found in the $70 range.

TehLlama
05-17-11, 00:54
Odd that somebody from IWC didn't also point out that omitting the MI FSB mount AND the flashlight mount by going to the IWC MOE mounted front offset unit - lightest setup available for that use.

I'd run MOE handguards, and maybe swap LED head, but that's a pretty light setup once it's ironed out.

11B101ABN
05-17-11, 02:48
You can swap the 6P (5.2oz) for a Surefire G2X (4.4) or a Streamlight PolyTac LED (4.4), both of which have higher lumen output.

Next, you can swap your M4 Double Heat Shield hand guard (8.9oz) for a Magoul MOE (6.2).

Hope this helps!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Side note- the G2X is very nice.

Dump1567
05-17-11, 09:53
How often do you use the light?

Vltor make an off-set QD mount for lights (see below). You can remove the light when not in use. This set-up allows me to use the light on other weapons if I want.

You can also reposition the light farther back. Change your hand postition when using the light and use the magwell as your support hand holding point (as a PG).

Or buy a lighter weight light set-up.

http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/skus/p_100004711_1.jpg

Scoby
05-17-11, 10:18
This would be a good combo to lighten the load on the front end.

Surefire G2X
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/Flashlight.jpg

Mounted in a Vikings Tactics
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/FlashlightMount.jpg

jonconsiglio
05-17-11, 11:16
Changing around the lights won't do as much as you'd like or need here. The 6p is 5.2 ounces. The m600 is 5.5 and the mini scout m300 is 4.5. The x300 is 3.8 ounces. What will affect you the most will be the mounting as most of these lights are all within an ounce, less the TLR-3, or a combination of the light, mount and even the handguard.

It sounds like you're already far back as you're running the light on the FSB of a carbine gassed gun. The mount may be adding more weight than necessary. If your using a standard hand guard, look at other mounting options.

I just looked it up - what appears to be killing you here is that .25 pound MI mount. Your light set up is adding nearly 10 ounces to your gun. That's a lot for a light. Look at the mount-n-slot mount as mentioned. It attaches directly to the hand guard. I couldn't find the weight, so check first. Remember, your mount now is 4 or 5 ounces with the scope ring. I'd want half of that at the most. Maybe going with a polymer Surefire like previously mentioned would help, even if it is only an ounce being saved.

How do you grip your rifle now? Using a Magwell grip will obviously make the front feel much heavier than gripping the end of a 12" FSP rail, for example.

If you really want to go light, again as it's been mentioned, grab a Streamlight TLR 3 at 2.3 ounces though you still need a mount, preferably something very light, obviously.

Without a doubt I'd switch out to the MOE hand guard. More comfortable, for me at least, and will save you up to 3 ounces. With the MOE and the right light set up, you get it to weigh almost exactly the same as your other one without the light. You can easily shave 9 ounces by changing the light (especially the mount) and switching to the MOE handguard.

Crow Hunter
05-17-11, 18:46
I grip my rifle at the front end of the handguard with the back of the light even with the front end of the handguard. It isn't noticeable to me when shooting, it is when I am manuvering the rifle one handed or doing reloads that I notice that weight hanging out there in space trying to twist the rifle out of my hands. I have to have good isometric tension on my sling to keep it from twisting out of position. With the stock rifle (which doesn't even have a sling) I don't have any problems.

I have been interested in trying the MOE handguard but just haven't gotten around to buying one.

Sounds like my best bet would be a MOE handguard, and some type of offset mount (I have a VTAC mount around here somewhere) and see if I can find a comfortable position for it.

Thanks for the help and ideas guys!

87GN
05-17-11, 21:36
I'd go with the Elzetta FSB mount and a polymer Surefire light.

Hope this helps!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

You must be comparing double heat shield handguards with the barrel nut/delta ring to the MOE without. Standard Colt double heat shield M4 handguards weigh 6.5oz. As weighed on the same scale, Magpul MOE handguards weigh 6.4oz.

He could lose 1.7oz by going down to CAR single heat shield handguards, but the arm of the handguards means that changing these does not have as much effect as changing things farther forward.

The most effective way to shift the CG back would be to switch the M4 profile 6920 barrel out for a lightweight 6520 barrel.

OTO27
05-17-11, 22:17
I had the same goal as you, wanted to lighten up my 6920. Lighten it up by purchasing a 6720, put in a DD omega, scoutlight on gear sector offset mount, T1 on DD mount, and CTR stock, balances beautifully. I figured after purchasing a barrel or recontouring the current one, plus lighter rail, I would already be halfway to just buying another rifle, so I did.

Crow Hunter
05-17-11, 22:32
I'd go with the Elzetta FSB mount and a polymer Surefire light.

You must be comparing double heat shield handguards with the barrel nut/delta ring to the MOE without. Standard Colt double heat shield M4 handguards weigh 6.5oz. As weighed on the same scale, Magpul MOE handguards weigh 6.4oz.

He could lose 1.7oz by going down to CAR single heat shield handguards, but the arm of the handguards means that changing these does not have as much effect as changing things farther forward.

The most effective way to shift the CG back would be to switch the M4 profile 6920 barrel out for a lightweight 6520 barrel.

Wow, only 2.8 oz for the mount and only $30? I might get one to try and just use my 6P and see what it is like. I like having the light out a ways since I grip towards the front and I don't like forward grips. Any issue with activating the light on the bottom like that without a forward grip?

I would like to have lighter profiled barrels but if I am going to do 1, I would need to do them all but will cost more to me than the aggravation of the heavier front end. It isn't a game changer for me, it is just something I would like to improve upon if it was a cheap an easy fix.

Thanks for the idea.

UserM4
05-17-11, 23:30
Since I'll probably never use the light but it's good to have just incase, I place it as close to the receiver as possible and turn it on with a magwell grip. Makes for a MUCH lighter swing weight. My friends think I'm retarded but I don't really care.

Dienekes
05-18-11, 14:06
What Crow Hunter suggests is exactly what I run. I had the Elzetta/polymer combo on an M4 style barrel, and recently swapped on a lightweight barrel; kept the light combo and lightweight CAR handguards. It made a difference which I appreciated.

Ed Heineman, designer of the A4 Skyhawk, once said that his philosophy was to simplify and add lightness. I agree.