PDA

View Full Version : Which hand priming tool

mizer67
05-15-11, 15:10
Although I have a progressive press, I don't like the priming system, especially for rifle brass.

What's your experience with hand priming tools? The only one I've ever used is the Lee Autoprime. Works well, until your thumb wears out or the handle snaps off.

I'm looking to do high volume .223 primer loading, so the K&M or Sinclair tools won't work as they're single-load.

What's the best of the auto-feeder hand primers, from those that have used more than one?

Hound_va
05-15-11, 17:31
I like the Hornady ones.

m1a_scoutguy
05-15-11, 17:57
WOW,,broke the handle off !! I have used the Lee for 25 years and they always worked great. I just bought the New Style Lee Auto Prime,,same principle,,but new & improved I guess !! Works great,,just make sure you put a dab of Lube on the "Pivot" points and they are good to go !!
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=413473 I do have a buddy that has the RCBS one,,more Metal in it than the Lee,,but same technique !
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=36055/Product/RCBS_Hand_Priming_Tool#

Stump70
05-15-11, 18:13
I knock alot of cases out with the Lee hand primer. I tried the RCBS, but with the Lee you could feel the seating of the primer easier.

I like hand primers because you aren't handling the primers constantly putting sweat and grease on them.

mizer67
05-15-11, 18:23
WOW,,broke the handle off !! I have used the Lee for 25 years and they always worked great. I just bought the New Style Lee Auto Prime,,same principle,,but new & improved I guess !! Works great,,just make sure you put a dab of Lube on the "Pivot" points and they are good to go !!
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=413473 I do have a buddy that has the RCBS one,,more Metal in it than the Lee,,but same technique !
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=36055/Product/RCBS_Hand_Priming_Tool#

Yup, the newer Lee tools have cheaper pot metal than the older ones. I've broken 3 handles in about 2-3 years time. After about 7-8K rounds each, or less, they're usually toast in my experience.

Then again, I have a large lot of primers I bought during the great shortage of 2009 that I'm working through that need a good crush to ignite consistently (Wolf SP with the nickel cups).

JStor
05-15-11, 18:48
My RCBS one broke, and I bought a pair of K&M priming tools. I just leave one set up for .223 at all times. I haven't tried anything considered high volume, since I just work in batches of 50 or 100 at a time. I just don't like running the press handle to prime a case.

SteadyUp
05-15-11, 18:48
I usually prime on my progressive press, but if I'm not, I use a RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool. It works really well, and you don't need to use a shell holder, as they jaws on the priming unit self adjust.

I purchased it after breaking the handle on my Lee primer 3 times. Lee replaced it for free each time, but I was getting really pissed off about the whole ordeal.

RWBlue
05-15-11, 19:54
I bought the RCBS so I could watch TV and load primers.

I never had a problem feeling the primer seat.

Do you have a problem with lose primer pockets?

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-15-11, 20:10
I have a sinclair and a lee auto prime the RCBS I started with still works but it locks up sometime and hase to be stripped apart and cleaned.

30 cal slut
05-15-11, 20:46
I dunno, I think when it comes to priming tools, it's good to always have a backup.

A few weeks ago I broke the priming arm on my rockchucker (case got stuck on it) ... reached for my sinclair but realized i only had it setup for large rifle primers (older model, before sinclair was bought by brownells) ... nearest reloading store was 1.5 hour drive away.

i ended up using my dillon rl550 to prime my rounds, even though it was the "wrong" shell plate. it worked fairly well.

i ordered an rcbs priming tool ... works okay, wondering if i'll eventually break this one too based on earlier posts in this thread.

prc77
05-15-11, 22:23
I use the Lee, I have replaced the handle twice, due to breaking.

aveisone
05-15-11, 22:27
I have the Lee and RCBS. The Lee sits in the box. I like the feel from RCBS and I like that I use the same shell holder for both primer tool and press.

jmart
05-15-11, 22:27
Seating a primer does not require a bunch of force. If you're breaking handles, you're applying way more pressure than is need or you aren't lubing the pivot as instructed.

Now, between the Lee or others, I have no idea. But my Lee's have lasted for years. Hand priming tools aint rocket science, what I have works and I've never felt I needed to search for something better.

Stangman
05-15-11, 22:34
Put me down for a RCBS universal tool. They work great

Boxerglocker
05-15-11, 22:41
Although I have a progressive press, I don't like the priming system, especially for rifle brass.

What's your experience with hand priming tools? The only one I've ever used is the Lee Autoprime. Works well, until your thumb wears out or the handle snaps off.

I'm looking to do high volume .223 primer loading, so the K&M or Sinclair tools won't work as they're single-load.

What's the best of the auto-feeder hand primers, from those that have used more than one?

I like the RCBS, never owned one myself but have a buddy whom I've helps load a few hundred rounds every no and them.
What press do you have and hat's the issue with the priming system? I could not imagine doing any high volume caliber hand priming.

aveisone
05-15-11, 22:42
I will mention that the Lee is a much simpler tool. The RCBS can be a pain to reassemble. I like the RCBS because I squeeze with my hand rather than my thumb.

aveisone
05-15-11, 22:50
I like the RCBS, never owned one myself but have a buddy whom I've helps load a few hundred rounds every no and them.
What press do you have and hat's the issue with the priming system? I could not imagine doing any high volume caliber hand priming.

Imagine it. I load 9mm, 40SW, .223 match, by .223 bulk by the thousands per year. All done with a hand primer and a single stage press. I guess its time to upgrade.

markm
05-16-11, 08:48
I use the Sinclair. Even though it's single load, it's worth it. I just prime in front of the TV or something.

wahoo95
05-16-11, 09:36
Broke the handles on a couple of Lee Autoprimes so I replaced them with a Hornady hand primer and have been very happy.

mizer67
05-16-11, 17:12

Hornady LNL AP.

I only use it as it was intended for pistol, then come back and re-seat all the primers by hand prior to shooting as otherwise I have high primers that fail to ignite. I've been unable to solve the issue with less-than-fully seated primers with the brand of primer I'm using, and I bought several cases when there was nothing else available.

For rifle, I do many thousands annually, about 50% of which are done on a single stage, the others I hand prime and only use the progressive to powder the round and seat the bullet.

Boxerglocker
05-16-11, 17:46
Imagine it. I load 9mm, 40SW, .223 match, by .223 bulk by the thousands per year. All done with a hand primer and a single stage press. I guess its time to upgrade.

I guess it depends on what you consider high volume. My current rate is 2-2.5 K in 9mm and over 1000 .223 a month, no thanks... my Dillon XL650 primes just fine.
I intentionally invested and set up my reloading gear for minimized time behind the bench.

Boxerglocker
05-16-11, 17:56
Hornady LNL AP.

I only use it as it was intended for pistol, then come back and re-seat all the primers by hand prior to shooting as otherwise I have high primers that fail to ignite. I've been unable to solve the issue with less-than-fully seated primers with the brand of primer I'm using, and I bought several cases when there was nothing else available.

For rifle, I do many thousands annually, about 50% of which are done on a single stage, the others I hand prime and only use the progressive to powder the round and seat the bullet.

Oh yeah, that's a short coming of the LNL in comparison to other presses that has arisen as of late. The primer leverage isn't as great and the anvil does not rise high enough. Have you contacted Horandy? I'm guessing CCI or Wolf/Tula primers.
I load Wolf SRM for .223, 300 rounds this weekend at a match not an issue.

mizer67
05-16-11, 19:09
Oh yeah, that's a short coming of the LNL in comparison to other presses that has arisen as of late. The primer leverage isn't as great and the anvil does not rise high enough. Have you contacted Horandy? I'm guessing CCI or Wolf/Tula primers.
I load Wolf SRM for .223, 300 rounds this weekend at a match not an issue.

Yes, Wolf SP for .40SW, and CCI for small rifle.

Talked till I was blue in the face to Hornady but couldn't get resolution to my issues. Just not enough leverage to seat these brands of primers with MY version of the LNL AP press.

I gave up and moved on. I went back to hand seating or re-seating primers and it's much less frustrating even if it is much more time consuming it's also a task I don't have to be tied to the bench to do.

Boxerglocker
05-16-11, 19:29
Yes, Wolf SP for .40SW, and CCI for small rifle.

Talked till I was blue in the face to Hornady but couldn't get resolution to my issues. Just not enough leverage to seat these brands of primers with MY version of the LNL AP press.

I gave up and moved on. I went back to hand seating or re-seating primers and it's much less frustrating even if it is much more time consuming it's also a task I don't have to be tied to the bench to do.

I'd ask Horandy for an exchange or refund... that's BS that your relegated to hand priming cause it won't do the job as it was designed to.
Here's some interesting reading that a fellow reloading Buddie on GT had with his... he's not the only one that I personally know who gave up on the the LNL cause of the same issue.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327453

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330197

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1334471

warriorsociologist
05-16-11, 20:36
I use my Lee +99% of the time. Rarely do I use the Redding seater on my press. I like to hand prime while watching movies...just not while also eating popcorn. :laugh:

Backroad
05-17-11, 08:54
I bought the RCBS so I could watch TV and load primers.

I never had a problem feeling the primer seat.

Ditto. And I'd much rather use the handtools than the one that came with the press.

al

glocktogo
05-17-11, 13:49
I like the RCBS unit. I broke a Lee first, then bought the RCBS. I drilled & tapped the handle and installed a set screw to control primer seating depth. It acts as a stop that also increases the longevity of the handle.

Paulinski
05-17-11, 14:02
I use the RCBS - actually have three of them - the original one that came in with my Rock-chucker kit and two universal ones.

One for small primer and one for large primer - the original one I use to prime the .500 S&W cases.

mizer67
05-17-11, 20:09
I'd ask Horandy for an exchange or refund... that's BS that your relegated to hand priming cause it won't do the job as it was designed to.
Here's some interesting reading that a fellow reloading Buddie on GT had with his... he's not the only one that I personally know who gave up on the the LNL cause of the same issue.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327453

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330197

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1334471

Your friends expereince is nearly identical to my own. I never received a new sub plate, but mine is already the most current version.

Boxerglocker
05-17-11, 20:21
Your friends expereince is nearly identical to my own. I never received a new sub plate, but mine is already the most current version.

If I were you.... I would call Horandy again referencing these threads given. They KNOW it's an issue.

m4fun
05-18-11, 23:45
Have 2 Lee hand primers - 1 for LP (.45) and one for SP (9mm/sometimes .223) No issues and although they are over 10 yrs each, and not necessarily my every day reloading method, work fine.

DemonRat
07-10-11, 19:16
Like most have mentioned here I prime while watching TV. Although my reloading bench is less then 10 ft from my TV I can reload and watch TV at the same time. I have had a Lee Auto Primer for a few yrs now and haven't had any problems with mine and I got mine used. I got it at a garage sale along with some of my reloading tools I have now.

ONEmanWOLFpack
07-10-11, 20:34
I use the RCBS and like it so far, although it is the only thing I have ever used...

LennieT
07-11-11, 10:49
I tried to use the Lock 'n Load progressive to seat primers but was not satisfied (way too many problems). Tried a Lee and was not satisfied with that either, hard on the thumb and never felt like I was feeling the primer touch bottom, then the handle broke.

Then I remembered that 30 years ago I use to prime on by Lyman All-American turret press. Got it out set it up and started priming on it. Would never go back to trying to prime on the progressive. I get latex exam gloves, cut all the fingers off and put the cut off fingers in a container. When I prime I put one of the cut off latex fingers on my index finger. The latex keeps me off of the primers and the primers off of me. The Lyman All-American press lets me feel the primer bottom out. I have old dies (that are way bigger then the brass I am priming) in the turret that have a decapping pin. I check each case as it goes to the press, but if I should miss a bit of trash in the primer hole the decapping pin will knock it out.

I have found that with the All-American I can prime 100 cases in less than 10 minutes (regardless of caliber). If you add up the time it takes to load the primer tubes and then all the time monkeying around with the L 'n L primer system, I am probably saving time as well as doing a better job of seating the primers.

Lennie

WBAR
07-13-11, 07:31
Like a previous poster I have two Lee's, one for large & one for small primers. I've used them for the last 20 years & many thousands of rounds with no breakages. Should I encounter a breakage I keep a spare. :) WB

BDavis
07-28-11, 09:46
Like a previous poster I have two Lee's, one for large & one for small primers. I've used them for the last 20 years & many thousands of rounds with no breakages. Should I encounter a breakage I keep a spare. :) WB

This has been my experience as well. I bougt my first Lee around '88 or '89. and it has loaded untold thousands of rounds. 10K to 12K would be a good estimate. It's still going strong but I did buy a second one about ten years ago just for large primers and I keep the older one set up for small primers.
Before buying the second Lee, I tried the RCBS and hated it. I never could get it to run smooth and it constantly jammed up or tried to double feed. Got another Lee and never looked back.
B.

Baedarlboo
07-28-11, 11:08
I load the .40sw and .45acp on my press, but use the Lee's hand primer for the .223/5.56. I haven't had an issue yet (about 2500 round so far).

capt_jerry
08-01-11, 08:57
I have two old style Lee's and of course an RCBS. In all honesty I prefer the Lee's as they have served me well over the years.

I have one of the Lee's set up for large primers and the other for small primers. Once you get over the required captive shell holders for the Lee's you'll be happy. The cost of them are minor in comparison to the performance.

turdbocharged
08-11-11, 14:14
Yup, the newer Lee tools have cheaper pot metal than the older ones. I've broken 3 handles in about 2-3 years time. After about 7-8K rounds each, or less, they're usually toast in my experience.

Done this twice myself. Have ordered several replacements for next time lol.

565thOrd.
08-15-11, 09:12
I don't use a hand priming tool I use the RCBS Bench mounted tool,which I have had for 25 yrs or so and it still works fine.It is low leverage and you can feel the primers bottom out easily and the long handle is easy on your hands.They are more expensive than other hand tools but work great and last a long time.