PDA

View Full Version : is there a 308 AR FAQ or something

n4p226r
05-15-11, 17:44
just wondering if there is a thread that discusses all the 308 variants and what is compatible with what, which uses these magazines or those magazines, which are high quality, junk. etc. wondering why noveske n6 went with the armalite platform and everyone else went another way. etc. i did a search but couldnt find anything

thanks
bill

armakraut
05-15-11, 23:48
It'd be a pretty quick FAQ

Q: I have 2.5k and want to buy a 308 AR?
A: Get an LMT MWS.

Q: I have 5k and want to buy a 308 AR?
A: Get an SR25 EM.

Q: I don't even have 2k and want to buy a 308 AR?
A: Crom laughs at the 308 AR's in that price range!

BSWilson
05-16-11, 00:18

A: Get a DPMS/BM and swap the handguard, sights, & stock assembly.

Fixed. (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72044)

BSWilson
05-16-11, 01:04
What is compatible with what?

There are at least two primary standards for upper receivers: Armalite & SR25. The former has a fillet shape at the rear of the receiver while latter is more of a chamfer. Other manufacturers may have deviated from these baselines however.

Which uses these magazines or those magazines?

Armalites use Armalite AR10 magazines, while the rest of the world uses SR25 mags. With the creation of the SR25 Pmag, I expect to see the demand for AR10-based platforms go the way of betamax.

Which are high quality?

That's a relative question, and one without much of a basis in truth as one might think (even here). On one hand, you can have two manufacturers use the same base components made by the same OEM, but one put together with a more careful eye than the other and thus result in a higher quality product (Also known as "The Magic Wrench"). Alternatively, you can have one manufacturer produce 10x as many rifles as the other, and at 1/2 the failure rate, yet because of the higher quantities involved you as a consumer will hear about it 5x as much -- which is the better company?

Why did Noveske n6 went with the armalite platform and everyone else went another way?

Who knows, call and ask them. It's not like they live on another planet or something. (At least not most of them)

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have, between the lot of us, we should be able to get most anything answered.

caelumatra
05-16-11, 11:00

Or build your own for around 2k

I'm sitting right below 2k with a MEGA set and a Noveske 18". It has only the stock trigger for now however and of course no optic ;)

wondering why noveske n6 went with the armalite platform and everyone else went another way. etc. i did a search but couldnt find anything

And I can only speculate as to why Noveske went ar10. But if I were to speculate, it would be that the ar10 has been around longer than the ar15. So they're patterned after the old horse of the family. The DPMS/sr25 pattern came much later. We all want the latter pattern for the pmags but those also are a real new invention.
So, Noveske is, I wouldn't say being faulted, but it probably doesn't help the sale of the N6's that they were early adopters to the only pattern in a real small area of the market. I'm sure if they had to do it all over again, they would go with the magpul compatible form, but if they find that time machine, I'll call them and ask for some lotto numbers :haha:

carbinero
05-16-11, 14:55
I think this is very useful:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=413443

Oh, this too: http://308ar.com/index.html

OTO27
05-16-11, 17:54

Also for 2.5k you can get a Larue OBR Predatar, light weight, awesome triger, SS barrel, magpul stock, and really long handguards, did I mentioned all under 8.5 lbs!

armakraut
05-16-11, 21:35
Yep, SR25 based like the LMT too.

bubba04
05-16-11, 22:29
I think the OBR Predator looks sexy. I look forward to reading more reviews on her.

JPB
05-17-11, 09:59
And I can only speculate as to why Noveske went ar10. But if I were to speculate, it would be that the ar10 has been around longer than the ar15. So they're patterned after the old horse of the family. The DPMS/sr25 pattern came much later. We all want the latter pattern for the pmags but those also are a real new invention.
So, Noveske is, I wouldn't say being faulted, but it probably doesn't help the sale of the N6's that they were early adopters to the only pattern in a real small area of the market. I'm sure if they had to do it all over again, they would go with the magpul compatible form, but if they find that time machine, I'll call them and ask for some lotto numbers :haha:

I’d speculate that Noveske went with Armalite because of the availability of the components. The current AR10 shares little with the legacy AR10. One could argue that the SR25 has a greater heritage in the AR10 than the Armalite product. All of these new fangled 7.62 ARs weren’t around when Noveske went the way of the 7.62, so options for receivers and such were fewer (possibly only Armalite, KAC, and DPMS?). Business agreements being what they are, the Armalite pattern found favor. It appears that LMT was able to work something with KAC. A host of others utilize DPMS.

Contingent on agreements with Aero Precision/Armalite, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Noveske bring something additional to market patterned around the more common original AR10/SR25/Pmag pattern. I’ve seen some nice Megas built with Noveske barrels.

n4p226r
05-18-11, 13:06
What's a mega with a noveske barrel?

JPB
05-18-11, 17:00

Its a 7.62 AR built on the Mega MA-Ten receiver (Pmag compatable) utalizing a Noveske barrel. Someone around this site or the other has built one and posted pics. Pretty cool looking. Have no idea how it performs however.

Darkop
05-19-11, 13:56
I’d speculate that Noveske went with Armalite because of the availability of the components. The current AR10 shares little with the legacy AR10. One could argue that the SR25 has a greater heritage in the AR10 than the Armalite product. All of these new fangled 7.62 ARs weren’t around when Noveske went the way of the 7.62, so options for receivers and such were fewer (possibly only Armalite, KAC, and DPMS?). Business agreements being what they are, the Armalite pattern found favor. It appears that LMT was able to work something with KAC. A host of others utilize DPMS.

Contingent on agreements with Aero Precision/Armalite, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Noveske bring something additional to market patterned around the more common original AR10/SR25/Pmag pattern. I’ve seen some nice Megas built with Noveske barrels.

There is much truth in this post. The other fact is Noveske has concentrated on filling orders for AR15 style rifles for the last 4-5 years. That said, when they do have N6's in stock they sell out rather quickly, so much so that they are only selling there N6's through their authorized dealers now. Can still get barrels from Noveske. And to add, I love my 14.5" N6 and it loves me :-)

Until that day,
Darkop

JPB
05-24-11, 11:03

Here's one.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=430194