PDA

View Full Version : M&P Bar-Sto Barrel from Apex Tactical preview pic

Pages : 1 [2]

Randy Lee
10-19-12, 14:51
This.

We are awaiting news from Bar-Sto. The last time I spoke to them, they had all the raw materials and were beginning the drilling/rifling process.

-Randy

mattexass
10-19-12, 15:06
We are awaiting news from Bar-Sto. The last time I spoke to them, they had all the raw materials and were beginning the drilling/rifling process.

-Randy

Is there any kind Of pre order or wait list happening?

kenndapp
10-19-12, 17:38
............would like to know as well.

Randy Lee
10-19-12, 17:48
Is there any kind Of pre order or wait list happening?

Unfortunately, no pre-order list. We are ordering a pretty large number, so I don't expect to sell out for several months.

-Randy

mattexass
10-19-12, 17:57
Unfortunately, no pre-order list. We are ordering a pretty large number, so I don't expect to sell out for several months.

-Randy

That is what I am talking about! Thanks for the quick response Randy.

GUNSLINGER733
10-20-12, 00:18
I can't wait. Thanks for reply randy. I'm looking forward to shooting one

mtdawg169
11-17-12, 06:33
Apex Newsletter says that we should see these in December!

bzuber56
11-18-12, 15:57
Need one in 9mm for my IDPA pistol bad.

jasonuscg
11-22-12, 17:56
Will there be any love for .357 SIG?

GUNSLINGER733
12-06-12, 14:07
really needing a barrel.....

mtdawg169
12-06-12, 14:09
I'm very curious to see the final design details and accuracy expectations for the drop in barrels.

bobsolla
12-06-12, 14:52
very nice, as bar sto makes nice stuff and and apex tactical,which i have all their stuff on my m&p and is awesome!i`ve had the stormlake ported barrel on mine for a while since nobody else had a decent one.it shoots awesome.good luck to those of you who get this new barrel,as i`am sure it will be all that!

ayank
12-26-12, 12:31
Any news on a ship date? I've shot out the barrel in one of my M&Ps and will be ordering something in the next week.

—Andreas

Mercaptan
12-28-12, 22:50
Well, I guess the real question is what will come first, a resolution to this fiscal cliff or an actual ship date for these barrels?

All kidding aside, the newsletter said that normal 4 and 5 inch barrels would ship initially and that threaded variants would happen later; about how much later than the first offering?

GUNSLINGER733
12-31-12, 01:27
Probably be better ordering a storm lake barrel fitted by G&R at this point... and a fitted barrel is going to be better anyway since all slide aren't identical.

ggammell
12-31-12, 09:55
Any news on a ship date? I've shot out the barrel in one of my M&Ps and will be ordering something in the next week.

—Andreas

Ballpark, how many rounds did that take?

ayank
12-31-12, 09:59
Ballpark, how many rounds did that take?

I have about 25k rounds down the pipe. The pistol was grouping ~5" at 25 yards. A friend pulled the barrel from his M&P Pro, I dropped it in my M&P, and immediately shot a 2" group at that distance.

—Andreas

Hot Sauce
12-31-12, 20:29
I have about 25k rounds down the pipe. The pistol was grouping ~5" at 25 yards. A friend pulled the barrel from his M&P Pro, I dropped it in my M&P, and immediately shot a 2" group at that distance.

—Andreas

Any reason you don't go for a Storm Lake barrel?

ayank
12-31-12, 23:41
Any reason you don't go for a Storm Lake barrel?

A Storm Lake barrel was my first thought, but Midway listed an ETA of March for one. KKM indicated immediate shipping.

I'll post a picture of the resulting groups once I receive the barrel and get to take it for a spin.

—Andreas

Hot Sauce
01-01-13, 17:10
A Storm Lake barrel was my first thought, but Midway listed an ETA of March for one. KKM indicated immediate shipping.

I'll post a picture of the resulting groups once I receive the barrel and get to take it for a spin.

—Andreas

Gotcha. Look for forward to seeing it man!

C4IGrant
01-01-13, 19:20

—Andreas

The most any drop in barrel rarely (if ever) improves the accuracy in the M&P (FYI).

C4

madmike283
01-28-13, 22:58
Hey Randy, any update on these? I'm on the waiting list with Grant for a Storm Lake. I'm ready to pounce on the first one available to me.

GUNSLINGER733
01-28-13, 23:52
I'd call G&R and setup a appointment for a storm lake fitted barrel. I can take my m&p and hit a idpa steel target at 25-130 yards off hand More than I need. Lol i know ill probably never engage someone at 100+ yards but its nice to know its possible with a handgun. 25 yards I'm getting 3" groups. Drop in barrel aren't taking care of any specific problems because not every slide is identical. I just installed a aek from apex so i do like their products not bashing just my opinion. Anyway good luck brother

trinydex
01-30-13, 12:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPtNNXzrnI

PPGMD
01-30-13, 20:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPtNNXzrnI

March/April... *sigh* looks like 2013 Bianchi is out. Oh well that gives me more time during the off season to experiment with sights.

brushy bill
02-16-13, 18:33
Are the apex bar sto barrels still a go?

drummerdude1188
03-25-13, 09:39
Any more updates on this?

G34Shooter
03-25-13, 10:08
The barrels will have Bar-Sto's standard 1:16 left hand twist. I do not believe Irv produces anything else.

Due to some issues, I cannot release the barrels that we have received.
Hopefully I will have some positive news about when we can expect to release the new barrels. We will also make sure that we have a good supply of barrels before we release them.

-Randy

Snake_207
03-25-13, 21:43
:shout::shout::shout:

panzerr
04-26-13, 21:43
Is this Apex M&P barrel going to happen?

RHINOWSO
04-27-13, 08:56
Funny how the M&P is inexpensive... Until you have to drop in a new trigger, new barrel... ;)

panzerr
04-27-13, 08:59
Funny how the M&P is inexpensive... Until you have to drop in a new trigger, new barrel... ;)

Actually they are fine, it's just the older ones that may have issues.

wideglide
04-27-13, 10:44

Only some 9mm guns suffered with accuracy issues, I don't have a percentage to throw out but, many if not most, likely did not. The 40 and 45 models have had no such issues. I honestly believe the trigger issue is not quite as big of a deal as mad out to be. Its common to factory guns to have room for improvement (which S&W seems to have done in recent guns). I am going to drop a 100 bucks for an Apex kit for my 40 compact which will put me at 600 for the gun which is not bad at all for a completely reliable carry gun. I don't need the Apex but I do love a good trigger. It also sounds like S&W has addressed the 9mm accuracy issues as well now.

CoryCop25
04-27-13, 11:22
Only some 9mm guns suffered with accuracy issues, I don't have a percentage to throw out but, many if not most, likely did not. The 40 and 45 models have had no such issues. I honestly believe the trigger issue is not quite as big of a deal as mad out to be. Its common to factory guns to have room for improvement (which S&W seems to have done in recent guns). I am going to drop a 100 bucks for an Apex kit for my 40 compact which will put me at 600 for the gun which is not bad at all for a completely reliable carry gun. I don't need the Apex but I do love a good trigger. It also sounds like S&W has addressed the 9mm accuracy issues as well now.

This is not entirely a true statement. I have owned and have heard of several accuracy issues with the 40 cal models. I had a 40 that shot an 8 inch group at 10 yards. Smith and Wesson made it right quickly but it was still a bad gun out of the box. The ONLY M&P that I have heard no issues from is the M&P 45 Mid.

wideglide
04-27-13, 12:09
This is not entirely a true statement. I have owned and have heard of several accuracy issues with the 40 cal models. I had a 40 that shot an 8 inch group at 10 yards. Smith and Wesson made it right quickly but it was still a bad gun out of the box. The ONLY M&P that I have heard no issues from is the M&P 45 Mid.

I apologize, but I have never heard any issues of accuracy other than that of the 9mm. Anyone else had any issues that I have missed?

CoryCop25
04-27-13, 12:22
I apologize, but I have never heard any issues of accuracy other than that of the 9mm. Anyone else had any issues that I have missed?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52771

Mercaptan
04-27-13, 13:15
Even though I still have a three month wait on a storm lake barrel- I'm sure it will arrive before the Apex offering. This thread is approaching its second birthday.

1H11
05-21-13, 22:48
Any updates on this project. Really want a five inch to try.

vicious_cb
05-21-13, 23:18
Its taken so long that frankly, I have no interest in these barrels anymore.

1H11
05-21-13, 23:25
Its taken so long that frankly, I have no interest in these barrels anymore.

I just wanted to give it a try in my duty gun, but won't argue this has taken along time.

BBS
05-22-13, 07:43
Its taken so long that frankly, I have no interest in these barrels anymore.Well said. I wouldnt have minded forking over $250 for one of these a year ago but now its just humdrum

ayank
06-26-13, 11:36
The most any drop in barrel rarely (if ever) improves the accuracy in the M&P (FYI).

C4

The drop-in Storm Lake barrel did absolutely nothing for my high-mileage M&P. It printed the same groups (~8" for 10 rounds at 25 yards) with the factory and aftermarket barrel.

—Andreas

streck
06-26-13, 11:43

Experienced that which is why I am a former owner of a M&P.

Dos Cylindros
06-26-13, 15:15
I have no experience with the 9mm M&P's but I own several in 40, including my duty gun. I am also on the range staff at my department and watch thousands of rounds go down range a year (asside from what I shoot myself). I have seen no issues with the accuracy of 40's and I, along with many of the Deputies at my agency can routinely hit a half torso steel target at 100 yards.

Sometimes I wonder how much of the "accuracy" issue is people who cant adopt to a non Glock trigger, or don't have a decent foundation in shooting basics.

MAP
06-26-13, 17:00
I have no experience with the 9mm M&P's but I own several in 40, including my duty gun. I am also on the range staff at my department and watch thousands of rounds go down range a year (asside from what I shoot myself). I have seen no issues with the accuracy of 40's and I, along with many of the Deputies at my agency can routinely hit a half torso steel target at 100 yards.

Sometimes I wonder how much of the "accuracy" issue is people who cant adopt to a non Glock trigger, or don't have a decent foundation in shooting basics.

I've shot my two (2) M&P 9mms from a rest at 25 yards . Groups were 6+ inches. I can routinely shoot my Glock 17s under the same conditions with half the group size. There may not be an accuracy issue with the .40 but there is definitely an issue with some of the 9mms.

Mike

Dos Cylindros
06-26-13, 19:28
I've shot my two (2) M&P 9mms from a rest at 25 yards . Groups were 6+ inches. I can routinely shoot my Glock 17s under the same conditions with half the group size. There may not be an accuracy issue with the .40 but there is definitely an issue with some of the 9mms.

Mike

I respect that. As I said I don't have any first had experience with the 9mm versions. Enough reputable people have pointed out the issues that I am sure they are there. I just didn't want it to be applied wholesale to all of the M&P line.

As a side note, my partner had a 9mm shield with whit I routinely hit the same 100 yard plate. I assume since the shield is a slightly different design, the same issue does not apply to them.

MAP
06-26-13, 22:13
I respect that. As I said I don't have any first had experience with the 9mm versions. Enough reputable people have pointed out the issues that I am sure they are there. I just didn't want it to be applied wholesale to all of the M&P line.

As a side note, my partner had a 9mm shield with whit I routinely hit the same 100 yard plate. I assume since the shield is a slightly different design, the same issue does not apply to them.

I also have an early M&P .45. It is nearly as accurate as my custom 1911s.

Mike

NinjaMedic
06-26-13, 23:08
Is APEX no longer pursuing this project. Randy? I am a loyal fan but the lack of communication is becoming an issue. Should I look to other vendors?

vicious_cb
06-27-13, 06:57
Is APEX no longer pursuing this project. Randy? I am a loyal fan but the lack of communication is becoming an issue. Should I look to other vendors?

I guess apex is busy these days.

http://www.apextactical.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/Apex37LR.jpg

C4IGrant
06-27-13, 08:52

Not to answer for Randy, but they (Apex) are held captive by the barrel manufacturer. If they do not want to make them, there is nothing they can do.

C4

turbo38gn
06-27-13, 09:31
Not to answer for Randy, but they (Apex) are held captive by the barrel manufacturer. If they do not want to make them, there is nothing they can do.

C4

Is it possible the same barrel manufacturer makes barrels for S&W?

C4IGrant
06-27-13, 09:36
Is it possible the same barrel manufacturer makes barrels for S&W?

Nope.

C4

G34Shooter
06-27-13, 10:12

C4

Correct!

And if anyone wants to see updates from Apex, they should visit their sub-forum:

http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=183

Striker
06-27-13, 11:36

C4

What would be the reasoning behind Bar sto not wanting to make them? Actually, that leads me to a question I've had before; if you look around, no one outside of SL makes a fitted barrel for the M&P, correct? And even with SL, I'm not sure you can call and just order one. Honestly I've never tried, but I don't think you can. For a gun that seems to be popular and that's had documented problems with accuracy, I find it odd that no one has stepped up and started making fitted barrels available to the public for the gun. Do you have any idea why.

Correct!

And if anyone wants to see updates from Apex, they should visit their sub-forum:

http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=183

Yeah, except, for as far as I can tell, the last time they updated the progress of the barrel there was 4April. Your original post was two years ago. There have been multiple delays along the way and as you can see from your own thread the lack of communication has made some frustrated. And understandably so. Two years is a long time from announcement to not even having been released yet.

I don't personally own an M&P 9 and this is exactly the reason why. If you get one that isn't accurate, you currently have no options outside of sitting on Grant's list for a year or more. I understand the frustration.

G34Shooter
06-27-13, 11:40
What would be the reasoning behind Bar sto not wanting to make them? Actually, that leads me to a question I've had before; if you look around, no one outside of SL makes a fitted barrel for the M&P, correct? And even with SL, I'm not sure you can call and just order one. Honestly I've never tried, but I don't think you can. For a gun that seems to be popular and that's had documented problems with accuracy, I find it odd that no one has stepped up and started making fitted barrels available to the public for the gun. Do you have any idea why.

Yeah, except, for as far as I can tell, the last time they updated the progress of the barrel there was 4April. Your original post was two years ago. There have been multiple delays along the way and as you can see from your own thread the lack of communication has made some frustrated. And understandably so. Two years is a long time from announcement to not even having been released yet.

I don't personally own an M&P 9 and this is exactly the reason why. If you get one that isn't accurate, you currently have no options outside of sitting on Grant's list for a year or more. I understand the frustration.

Apex is a small and very busy company, they don't have the manpower to sit on the hundreds of forums out there very often.

So for the people who seriously want this upgrade and an accurate time frame, it's better to email or call them directly.

netchemica
08-30-14, 12:15
Has anyone heard any updates on Bar-Sto barrels for the M&P?