PDA

View Full Version : Installing a thumb safety on the M&P

NC_DAVE
05-16-11, 05:27
I was just wondering if you get a M&P without the tumb saftey, could you install one later if you wanted to.

Bowie Tactical
05-16-11, 06:04
The biggest problem with that idea is Smith & Wesson is no longer selling sear blocks. Thier lawyers feel it is a liability to sell them because someone could put a non mag safety disconnect block into a gun not properly marked. So your best bet is to buy a safety gun and just take out the levers if you don't want them and put them back in if you decide you want them back in.

David Bowie
Bowie Tactical

NC_DAVE
05-16-11, 06:14
Do you know if S&W could do this for you? If so I guess you may still have to wait awhile for the turn around.

mtdawg169
05-16-11, 07:50
I just picked up a new 9mm with the safety sear block & frame plugs / no safety. Are the parts available to add a safety?

Skunk Pilot
05-17-11, 02:50
I did come across a post where someone said there is a manufacturer that makes a aftermarket thumb safety. I think it's bigger or smaller than the OEM part. Some place that manufactures other things and must be a fair amount of M&P shooters at the shop and they decided to make them and sell them to the public, IIRC.

I thought I saved it as a bookmark or in my M&P notes doc's, but couldn't find it. I've been reading a LOT of stuff on M&P's the last two months, I'm actually on overload. But the more I retain I remember, well it helps to bookmark the stuff so you can go back to it :bad: If not for me then for a friend or someone else like yourself.

If it's not on this forum, maybe it's on MP-Pistol or Smith-WessonForum?

outrider627
05-17-11, 05:14
Do you know if S&W could do this for you? If so I guess you may still have to wait awhile for the turn around.

I believe someone on MP Pistol.com forum asked about this, and S&W said no. You might want to go search over there for this topic.

outrider627
05-17-11, 05:19
I just picked up a new 9mm with the safety sear block & frame plugs / no safety. Are the parts available to add a safety?

This company sells reprofiled thumb safeties: http://www.caneandderby.com/weapon-modification-texturing/smith-wesson-m-p-profiled-safety-levers.html

mtdawg169
05-17-11, 05:43
This company sells reprofiled thumb safeties: http://www.caneandderby.com/weapon-modification-texturing/smith-wesson-m-p-profiled-safety-levers.html

I've seen their levers and I think I would prefer their profile over the standard. Unfortunately, I don't think its that simple. There are some internal parts for the safety that I think are missing from the sear block also.

Magsz
05-17-11, 11:04
There is a spring and a detent plate that must be present in order for a safety unit to work on the gun.

Obviously, the sear housing that houses these parts must be present as well.

Smith will not sell the safety ready sear housings by themselves as Mr bowie already mentioned.

calvin118
05-17-11, 15:39
Are these springs and detent plates in any way obtainable? I have an m&p 45 with cuts in the frame and a safety style sear block (I know because I have both versions in other m&p's) and I would love to add a safety. If anyone could help me out I would be tremendously thankful.

mtdawg169
05-17-11, 16:54
There is a spring and a detent plate that must be present in order for a safety unit to work on the gun.

Smith will not sell the safety ready sear housings by themselves as Mr bowie already mentioned.

Right. But can they be purchased if one is inclined to add a safety?

longball
05-18-11, 12:37

Right. But can they be purchased if one is inclined to add a safety?

I have wondered this same thing myself. I really want a full size 9mm in FDE but also want the thumb safety and apparently that combination is not available from S&W. The FDE 9's do have the cut out for the safety so I have been wondering if they have the safety compatable sear housing and if a safety could be added should I purchase one. Does anybody have any information on whether or not that is a possibility?

mtdawg169
05-18-11, 12:53
I have wondered this same thing myself. I really want a full size 9mm in FDE but also want the thumb safety and apparently that combination is not available from S&W. The FDE 9's do have the cut out for the safety so I have been wondering if they have the safety compatable sear housing and if a safety could be added should I purchase one. Does anybody have any information on whether or not that is a possibility?

They do have the safety sear block. As far as availability of the other parts, i'd like to know that myself.

mtdawg169
05-20-11, 05:45
Well, I called Smith last night. The safety detent, spring & lever are not available for purchase. They only showed a part number for the entire assembly, including the sear block, which they don't sell direct. It looks like I will have to buy the whole kit and caboodle from Brownells, just to get a couple of small parts. That is IF Brownells actually has it at all.

anto
05-22-11, 19:48
Here's the thread on MP-Pistol about it

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?/topic/29636-sw-answer-to-adding-thumb-safety/

NC_DAVE
05-23-11, 09:49
Thanks for the info