aveisone
05-16-11, 08:21
Check this out. Its worth your time.

http://dig.library.vcu.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/psm&CISOPTR=5857&REC=7

Entertaining and educational.

ALCOAR
05-16-11, 08:23
Badass...thanks for the link:)

eta...I would absolutely love to own an actual org. color copy of this pamphlet....the animations are dynamite!

aveisone
05-16-11, 08:26
As would I. If you ever come across any...

Sgt_Gold
05-16-11, 09:18
If I'm not mistaken it was recently reprinted in PS magazine. I'll check and see.

Doc Safari
05-16-11, 10:03
I ordered some several months ago:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=310436

Worth every penny of just over $3.00

ALCOAR
05-16-11, 10:52
Nice, it's expensive....but quality always is:D

That is straight Man Cave material...throw that on a table and consider my interior decorating done:cool:

aveisone
05-16-11, 11:07
Awesome find, and at Midway no less. Im surprised I havent seen it.

SpaceWrangler
05-16-11, 14:09
Dang... creases on their trousers while In The Shit...

http://dig.library.vcu.edu/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/psm&CISOPTR=5856

Olde Skool

Heavy Metal
05-16-11, 14:13
Those are pickel suits, not Jungle Fatigues. The creases were perma and the pockets give it away.

TOrrock
05-16-11, 14:13
Never thought my alma mater would have that in the collection.

Moving this to "Vintage AR's".

Doc Safari
05-16-11, 14:20
Some of you may be way too young to get some of the little "in-jokes" they splashed around in that pamphlet.

For example, on one page a character suggests you "try TM", referring to the technical manual.

This is a joke on the 1960's Transcendental Meditation craze among hippie types, often referred to as "TM".

I'm old school enough to remember some of that shit. :D

Cincinnatus
05-16-11, 14:23
Good stuff. Thanks for posting this.

Bowser
05-16-11, 15:06
I saved some scans of this a while back. Pretty cool stuff.

GunnutAF
05-16-11, 15:49
Great info for every NEWB to read! :D

Doc Safari
05-16-11, 15:53
Don't take all of it as Gospel, though.

Some of the info is outdated, as I learned when I started reading some of the threads on this site.

Cincinnatus
05-16-11, 15:55
Don't take all of it as Gospel, though.

Some of the info is outdated, as I learned when I started reading some of the threads on this site.

Yes; it is fascinating to see how much has changed and how much has stayed the same.

Suwannee Tim
05-16-11, 20:22
How'z 'bout the stacked hottie doing the narration?

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/allentimfrank/Capture.jpg

Heavy Metal
05-16-11, 20:34
That's Connie Rod. She was one of the regular cast of PS Monthly. A clever trick to get GI's to read it was to illustrate a good looking woman. She did tone down the innuendo in later years though.

I did once have a 1SG that bore an uncanny resemblance to MSG Half-Mast though.

Thomas M-4
05-16-11, 21:20
The manual for German Tiger tank crews was more risque.:jester:
The Tigerfibel

http://www.alanhamby.com/tigerfibel.shtml

http://www.alanhamby.com/Tigerfibel/06.jpg

Cincinnatus
05-17-11, 14:28
We all know what CLP is. What was LSA?

Doc Safari
05-17-11, 14:30
We all know what CLP is. What was LSA?

LSA was the precursor to CLP. CLP was the result of a product improvement program for LSA if I remember my history correctly.

Cincinnatus
05-17-11, 14:32
LSA was the precursor to CLP. CLP was the result of a product improvement program for LSA if I remember my history correctly.

Thanks. I figured that much; specifically, what did LSA stand for? CLP= Cleans Lubes Protects.

Doc Safari
05-17-11, 14:35
Thanks. I figured that much; specifically, what did LSA stand for? CLP= Cleans Lubes Protects.

"Lubricant, Small Arms"

dewatters
05-18-11, 13:54
LSA was originally designed for the M61 Vulcan. Standard lubricants would get thrown off of the mechanism when it was spun up to 6,000rpm. Given that an aircrew is hard pressed to add additional lubricant to their M61 while in flight, they decided that a thicker, more tenacious lubricant was required. It is referenced as a semi-fluid lubricant.

az doug
05-18-11, 20:40
Those are pickel suits, not Jungle Fatigues. The creases were perma and the pockets give it away.

They were not permanent unless they were sewn in. You "broke starch" back then. My first Army issued Permanent Press Fatigues were in 1977 or 1978 while I was stationed at Fort Benning

When I went in the Army, a few years after that DA Pamphlet came out, they were still using it or one very similar. Brings back old memories.

DeathMetal
06-20-11, 11:08
you gotta love this old retro stuff.

Cobra66
06-20-11, 12:56
The manual for German Tiger tank crews was more risque.:jester:
The Tigerfibel

This is a great find too!
Elvira and Connie are both women with curves.
COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC - when did women built like 14 year old boys become popular :confused:

The PM manuals still featured nice looking gals as late as the mid 2000s when I got out (haven't seen one since), but are certainly a lot toned down from what they were in the 1960s.

Tango-Alpha
09-17-11, 10:51
I ordered some several months ago:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=310436

Worth every penny of just over $3.00

Ordered a couple for myself. Don't you just love Midway? Thanks Larry Potterfield!

warpigM-4
09-17-11, 12:40
the comic reminds me of the SGT Rock Comics I read as a Kid and the Sherman Tank comic I can't remember the Name of that one

Doc Safari
09-17-11, 13:40
the comic reminds me of the SGT Rock Comics I read as a Kid and the Sherman Tank comic I can't remember the Name of that one

Wasn't that GI Combat?

No wait, that was the one where they drove a Stuart tank and the guy kept seeing the ghost of General Jeb Stuart from the Civil War. Later the Stuart tank got destroyed and they had some kind of cobbled together tank made up from different tanks IIRC. Man I loved that comic.

Heavy Metal
09-17-11, 14:00
The Haunted Tank.

warpigM-4
09-18-11, 00:00
yelp that is the One Man I miss those Comics

Ned Christiansen
09-18-11, 07:34
I always thought it was "Lubricant, Semi-liquid, Automatic weapons".
]
Anyway-- it was not bad stuff.

RogerinTPA
09-18-11, 09:16
They were not permanent unless they were sewn in. You "broke starch" back then. My first Army issued Permanent Press Fatigues were in 1977 or 1978 while I was stationed at Fort Benning

When I went in the Army, a few years after that DA Pamphlet came out, they were still using it or one very similar. Brings back old memories.

Brings back memories. We did that with BDUs until the early 90s, when it was deemed starch was diminishing the protective anti-IR properties and wearing the uniforms out too fast due to fading, causing a financial burden on the troops. That's where "wet press" was accepted by the Army and adopted by local cleaners.

I always thought it was "Lubricant, Semi-liquid, Automatic weapons".
]
Anyway-- it was not bad stuff.

Agreed. I have 2 quarts of it I found in a flea market a few years ago, in my garage. It works very well.

900ss
11-07-11, 00:43
Are the printed copies still available?

SpaceWrangler
11-07-11, 01:22
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/310436/the-m16a1-rifle-operation-and-preventive-maintenance-gi-comic-book-format-military-manual-by-department-of-the-army

skyugo
11-10-11, 01:09
cool... interesting to note they insisted on generous lube on the moving parts even back then.

JackFanToM
11-10-11, 08:44
I remember being a kid and sitting in my Dad's office, back when he was a Captain in charge of K Troop @ Ft. Bliss. He would hand me a stack, of what I thought were comic books, turns out they were training manuals...I remember one that addressed Kimchi (no joke Kimchi). We had no such manuals when I was in the Corps (Happy Birthday Brothers), but they are still written so that the least skilled readers can understand. I say go back to comics if we are going to dumb them down anyway....least they were entertaining :D

Straight Shooter
11-10-11, 09:16
I wonder how much an original copy in excellent condition is worth?
Ive got a couple,and they aint for sale, just curious.

eldogg
11-10-11, 14:53
Check this out. Its worth your time.

http://dig.library.vcu.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/psm&CISOPTR=5857&REC=7

Entertaining and educational.

i found a couple of those when they closed the armory. mine is the superseded 1july69. it's in a sealed bag that's dated 4/71.

sgtrock82
11-10-11, 14:58
The first time I saw one of these was way back when my buddy and I were going through his dads vietnam stuff. It always stuck in my head and when i got into the army in the mid 90s and saw all the monthly maintenance books it all made sense. I found a few of these new in original plastic wrapper at a gun show at Ft bragg and bought a few. I still have one for perusing and one NIW. I still spout one of the quotes off from it when something goes wrong for someone at the range, like a miss. "maybe you have bad round imperialist" These booklets are way cool! I always felt these and the ones they put out these days are pretty effective tools.

Al U. 5811
11-13-11, 13:53
I found one still in plastic about 6 months ago during AWI's. Score!

Quib
11-14-11, 05:32
cool... interesting to note they insisted on generous lube on the moving parts even back then.

Exactly. I've mentioned this a few times over the years when the subject of lube came up.

Compare the lube points and quantities of then, to now. Nothing changed. The bad information about "less is better", came from those not in the know. We've all seen it happen.

It's amazing what a person can learn, by taking the time to sit down and really read the manual...... most will not. And admit it...TM's, FM's and parts manuals are all boring and make for really dry reading material. This was the whole reason behind comic books like the DA PAM from 1968 which was basically the forerunner to PS Magazine.

Put the information out in a format that GI's are more likely to read, and hopefully they will read it and retain what they read. Sadly, there are even those who can not seem to find the time to even read this form of information.

Firecop203
12-14-11, 15:01
I have one of those. When I was a kid about 12 and living in Alabama at the time, there was an Army Recruiters office on the way home from school. I used to stop in there and they'd give me all kinds of "PM" books like that. I think they were giving them to me just to get rid of them. I can't believe I've kept it all these years.

rojocorsa
12-15-11, 22:50
LSA, is that the white stuff in that bottle?

I actually have some of this stuff (but its dried out since) in an old M-16A1 cleaning kit that I have. I really like the old cleaning rod too.

R556
01-26-12, 15:10
Thanks for the memories....was just sitting here browsing thru my April 1977 TM 9-1005-249-10...

R556
01-26-12, 15:20

okie john
01-27-12, 11:03
I used to date a woman who looked almost exactly like Connie, just a little shorter. She was not amused when I pointed out the resemblance. I took that as a major red flag, and I was right.

Okie John

devinsdad
01-30-12, 15:16
This is a great find too!
Elvira and Connie are both women with curves.
COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC - when did women built like 14 year old boys become popular :confused:

The PM manuals still featured nice looking gals as late as the mid 2000s when I got out (haven't seen one since), but are certainly a lot toned down from what they were in the 1960s.

Women have traditionally been used as a teaching instrument to men. Current military and civillian aircraft flight systems and collision avoidance "voices" are that of a woman. Men are used to doing what they are told by their mothers, wives, girlfriends and daughters.

Evildoer
02-01-12, 06:46
The is an old training film from the Navy. This is great, tongue n' cheek, and not PC. I work at a Crygenic Oxygen Facility and this was part of our "unofficial training"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sIT6P_05I

usmcvet
02-21-12, 12:22
I was over at my buddies place and saw this on his desk. I thought of this thread. I will post a photo soon. Is there any market for the original. I know the reprints are $3. His is brand new still sealed in the bag.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/2E4B9F68-orig.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/FEB9C3AB-orig.jpg

K Town
05-05-12, 01:58
Looks like I finally found a worthy comic book to add to my manga collection. Damn, I've always loved the lines of the XM16E1 so now it looks I HAVE to get one to complement the comic as a decorative piece :p.