PDA

View Full Version : Hk 45c or Hk usp45c

nobody knows
05-16-11, 16:41
I'm looking at these two pistols as my first Hk. And I'm looking for feedback from anyone owning one or both of these pistols. Any pros-cons of each or just witch one you prefer and why. Any information would be appreciated thanks.

CarbonCycles
05-16-11, 16:43
Both work fine...I'd suggest you go shoot them to see which you prefer.

nobody knows
05-16-11, 17:27
That was my original plan but I have called every Guy shop(that rents guns) within a hundred miles of where i live and no one carries ether one as a rental. I also don't know anyone that owns ether pistol. So that's not an option for me at this time. I have been able to handle the usp45c but not Hk 45c I really liked the usp45c but I would like to get as much firsthand knowledge as possible from those that own the pistol's.

Thank you for your response

Joe

one
05-16-11, 17:37
I have both. There are some things about each pistol that I like. One thing I prefer on the older USP45C is the sharper checkering on the grip. Between the two that's a real plus for me personally.

Moving on. The thumb safety on the 45C is much better with it's shape than the older design. The ambi mag release is better on the 45C. It's larger and serrated making it more positive to hit for me. That said the 45C release will drop right in on the older USP compact.

The newer gun uses the O ring barrel where my old one doesn't. Accuracy wise though I haven't noticed much in the way of difference. I don't care for the issued sights on either gun. Heinie's are available for both pistols in standard and suppressor height.

The ambi slide release. When I initially pulled my full size HK45 out of the box I thought "What the hell am I ever going to use that for?" A few months later I wound up taking an Officer survival course with a lot of weak hand shooting and reloading in it. At that point I realized how much smarter HK's engineers are than me. From that point on I've been a believer in the ambi slide release. At least it's a nice addition.

They take the same magazines so there's not much to say there other than the design was proven for years under the USP umbrella so that carries over into the new gun. Both guns will accept the 45C 10 round magazine with oversized floorplate, or the full size HK45 magazines.

If you like forward cocking serrations the 45C has them. I personally don't use them for much.

The trigger to me is better on the 45C. While I still am not a fan of the HK DA pull it's better on the 45C than the USP45C. The single action breaks cleaner to me. If you are a LEM fan (I am not) the pistols are both available in that config.

The light rail. Here is my major complaint on a pistol I otherwise appreciate. On the USP you're stuck with their proprietary design unless you use an adapter. Which then precludes use of most holsters. On the 45C they have a M1913 rail...However...They make the thing one rail step too short to accept the modern combat lights we all know and love here. SF X200/300/400, Streamlights, etc.

But. Surefire is coming out with the new mini X300 single cell which will fit the gun (per early release pics of it on a 45C) I don't know when it's slated for release yet but best thoughts are November (4th quarter release). There is a slim possibility of July/August. At any rate that's the light I'm waiting on. To me this gives the edge to the 45C due to it's ability to accept standard holsters.

nobody knows
05-16-11, 17:55
Thank you for the informative post. One of the thing's I really liked about the usp45c was the slide release. It just felt and looked vary solid it also felt good in my hand. The sights are garbage but the one at my local shop is used and it has night sights. I found the da/sa trigger (on this particular model) to be vary nice.

Re,the x300c? I seen that light in a picture online and have been trying to find out more about it. But could not find anything on surefire's website. I'm really excited about this light because all my Gun's (that except lights) are g19 sized. And nothing fits quit right.

Again thanks for the post

P.s if there is anyway you could post a picture of the two pistols together that great be great as I can't seem to find one anywhere.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-16-11, 18:20
I have owned both. I personally prefer the HK45c. They are both accurate, easy to shoot and word of God reliable.

one
05-16-11, 19:47
Apologies for the shadows, etc. I'm no photographer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/goddamnit/Handguns/USP45CHK45C2.jpg?t=1305593195

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/goddamnit/Handguns/USP45CHK45C.jpg?t=1305593238

nobody knows
05-16-11, 20:31
Thanks for the pictures they where plenty good enough. How does the small backstrap compare to other similar sized Gun's re the g19,usp45c,m&p 45c ect.

Thanks

loupav
05-16-11, 22:17
With the two guns being very similar in size with identical magazine capacities. Why not get the NEWER one of the two?

Interchangeable back straps and a standard rail, with better ergos? Why not?

F-Trooper05
05-16-11, 22:40
With the two guns being very similar in size with identical magazine capacities. Why not get the NEWER one of the two?

My thoughts exactly. The USPc offers little, if anything, over the 45C.

one
05-16-11, 23:02
I don't like the small backstrap. It seemed to let the gun roll up higher under recoil than the large, which is the same size as the USP profile grip.

If I were outright telling you what to buy, I'd go with the others as well and get the newer generation pistol. If that simplifies it any.

Semi_auto
05-16-11, 23:05

I did not think the HK45C had a standard rail. What light did you get to fit on it? The USP 45c can accommodate any of the Surefire lights with the rail adapter.

hk45ctp30
05-16-11, 23:17
I've carried the USP 45 for duty use before and really liked it. However, it never really fit my hand well as I thought it was a little blocky. I recently purchased an HK45CT with the threaded barrel for my EDC pistol. It fits my hand much better because of the ergonomic grip it has. I have small to medium sized hands so I use the smaller backstrap and it really helps my hand grip much better. I also had mine converted to the light LEM trigger instead of the DA/SA it came with. I prefer the DA trigger to anything else and find I can shoot the HK45C much better with that. Either pistol will give you many years of faithful service. The hardest part of all is deciding which one is right for you. Good luck!

VooDoo6Actual
05-16-11, 23:24
Shot & owned them both, HK USP45c & HK45C.

Prefer ergos on 45C vs. USP & definetly less recoil.

I own 2 HK45C's.

imo, best & finest handguns I own next to a 1911.

nobody knows
05-17-11, 09:52
Thanks for all the replies guys. This is pretty much what I expected I just wanted to confirm it. I will be going with the Hk45ct I just need to decide whether to go with the light lem or the standard da/sa. Can you carry the Hk 45c cocked and locked? Like a 1911. And what poundage am I looking at if I go with the light lem?

Thanks again

Joe

JSTICFRALL
05-17-11, 09:57
I've shot my buddy's USP 45C and it's a fantastic gun. However although I haven't shot the newer 45C, the grip and ergonomics are like my P2000. If I had to compare the two based on grip and comfort, I would go with the 45C. Not to mention it has some newer goodies like the fact that you can change back straps, the mag release is larger, and it has serrations at the front of the slide. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. USP 45C's show up pretty often at the local gun store in the consignment case and you can usually snag one in great shape for $600. So if you're concerned about cost, I'd see if you could find one used.

loupav
05-17-11, 10:30
I did not think the HK45C had a standard rail. What light did you get to fit on it? The USP 45c can accommodate any of the Surefire lights with the rail adapter.

The HK45C does infact have a standard light rail, it's just shorter. But there standard lights that will fit the 45C With out the need for an adapter. Yes you can add an adapter to the USP Compact, but good luck finding a holster for that.

VooDoo6Actual
05-17-11, 11:08
nobody knows writes: Can you carry the Hk 45c cocked and locked? Like a 1911.

YES.

And what poundage am I looking at if I go with the light lem?

I wouldn't even consider a LEM trigger.

Regarding light:

Get the Surefire X300C when it come out later this year

YMMV

HTH...

nobody knows
05-17-11, 11:33

YES.

Regarding light:

YMMV

HTH...

Is there any particular reason you would not consider the lem? Thanks

one
05-17-11, 12:55
I agree with every word HOPLOETHOS has written. A lot of people rave about the LEM trigger but it's not for me. I can get much better trigger control out of using the gun single action cocked and locked.

As far as the lights and light rail are concerned there is nothing made "today" that fits the 45C that I would personally use. The mini 300 should be out this year and that's what I'm going to run with.

Semi_auto
05-17-11, 16:31
Regarding light:

YMMV

HTH...

I am not satisfied with the current light options for the HK45C. It's good to hear that Surefire has a solution in the works.

hk45ctp30
05-17-11, 17:01

YES.

Regarding light:

YMMV

HTH...

Well, I disagree with HOPLOETHOS about the LEM trigger. I carried many different types of pistols in my 38 years as a federal law enforcement agent. At first revolvers, and then many types of autos. All pistols issued to us were DA only pistols. I carried the 1911 in the Army and was used to the SA only trigger in it.

The best trigger I used was on the HK USP Compact 40 S&W pistols we were issued by INS. They were much superior to the Berettas we had before. After that we went with the Glock 19 pistols and the LEM triggers were better than the Glocks.

After retirement, when I could carry what I wanted, I purchased an HK with the standard LEM. After speaking with an HK armorer, I went with the light LEM and have been extremely happy with the trigger pull and function of the pistol.

I now carry an HK45CT as my EDC pistol with the light LEM trigger. Some folks don't like DA only pistols, and some are uncomfortable with a light trigger without a safety. If they can't handle it or are uncomfortable with it then stay with a DA/SA with a safety. But don't badmouth something you can't shoot well. There may be many who can.

05-17-11, 17:09
Get the Non usp version.

nobody knows
05-17-11, 18:13
Well, I disagree with HOPLOETHOS about the LEM trigger. I carried many different types of pistols in my 38 years as a federal law enforcement agent. At first revolvers, and then many types of autos. All pistols issued to us were DA only pistols. I carried the 1911 in the Army and was used to the SA only trigger in it.

The best trigger I used was on the HK USP Compact 40 S&W pistols we were issued by INS. They were much superior to the Berettas we had before. After that we went with the Glock 19 pistols and the LEM triggers were better than the Glocks.

After retirement, when I could carry what I wanted, I purchased an HK with the standard LEM. After speaking with an HK armorer, I went with the light LEM and have been extremely happy with the trigger pull and function of the pistol.

I now carry an HK45CT as my EDC pistol with the light LEM trigger. Some folks don't like DA only pistols, and some are uncomfortable with a light trigger without a safety. If they can't handle it or are uncomfortable with it then stay with a DA/SA with a safety. But don't badmouth something you can't shoot well. There may be many who can.

Could you give me an approximate trigger pull wait for the light lem? Thanks

newyork
05-17-11, 18:33
5.5 pounds

swamper
05-17-11, 18:44
I have two HK45C pistols. I don't have to much to add from what others have said.

I do prefer the LEM trigger. Having shot DAO pistols more than DA/SA with safety, I'm more comfortable with the DAO option.

Secondly, I went with the Meprolight sights on my first HK45C to replace the factory sights. I looked into getting the Heinie sights for the second pistol until I saw some pictures of the rear Heinie's. The two things I don't like about the factory sights are the non-Tritium aspect and the "ramp" of the sight. The Heinie's have the same or similar "ramp." I prefer a little more "bite" on the rear sights mainly for one hand slide manipulation. The Meprolight sights seem to do a better job. Mepro pictures below.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/barleystout/mepro.jpg

http://pages.suddenlink.net/barleystout/mepro02.jpg

cohiba
05-17-11, 18:53
Not wanting to wait for what I was told was a late 4th Q release of the x300 mini, I DIYed an x300. Works very well.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/x300mod001.jpg

As to your choice, I agree with One's observations.

VooDoo6Actual
05-17-11, 19:39
Is there any particular reason you would not consider the lem? Thanks

Yes, the SA/DA style is inculcated into my muscle memory after 33 years of shooting, training, teaching, including operationally w/ D0S/D0D as a PMC Contractor & private sector CPPO.

It is my preferred method & I'm far faster in that methodology. My hammer groups & split times are considerably tighter & faster w/ SA mode over DA mode. I have a tendency to mash the trigger less in SA mode.

Simply put, I'm faster & more accurate w/ SA mode.

My comments do not invalidate the other methods.

Light is fast, speed is survival....

HTH....YMMV...

claybirdd
05-17-11, 21:55
I have tried both variant 1 and the light LEM. My current ccw USP is set up as a variant 9 with the match trigger. For me this is exactly what I have always looked for in an HK.

majette
05-17-11, 22:10
+1 on the hk45c for the more ergonomic grip and standard rail. it is in use by our military, the seals can choose to deploy with the hk45c. their config is v3 decock only, with threaded barrel and 10rd mags.

one thing about the hk pistols is their trigger configuration can be changed with simple tools and moderate complexity. you could get the hk45c in standard da/sa then get a lem kit and try shooting it in light lem configuration.

i am one who raves about the lem. the hybrid/match lem in my usp combat competition (TO ME) is the best trigger in a polymer pistol, bar none, and is only second to a tuned 1911 trigger. i have shot glocks with the various 3.5lb connectors and polished/tuned triggers, m&p's with a performance center sear, apex, etc.

the way i describe the lem is it is a precocked da/sa. your first shot is a long, smooth pull then subsequent shots are sa from a very short reset (learning to work the reset is key) with the option of letting the trigger fully forward to utilized the long, smooth pull. once broken in the initial trigger pull is like a slick revolver trigger.

here is a group i shot with a p30v2 standard lem, 50rds, 7yds as fast as i could pull the trigger and reload once i ran the mags dry:
http://imageshack.us/m/163/6038/p3050rd.jpg

if you do go the lem route do dry fire practice to get comfortable with it. remove the magazine and cycle the slide to precock the system. a lot of people do not do this when initially trying the weapon and they get put off by the hard, clunky second strike/uncocked trigger pull.

also, if you have not fired a hk before the sight setup on the hk is a cover up hold. you line up the dots and place the center dot covering up the point where you want the bullet to impact.

nobody knows
05-19-11, 00:50
+1 on the hk45c for the more ergonomic grip and standard rail. it is in use by our military, the seals can choose to deploy with the hk45c. their config is v3 decock only, with threaded barrel and 10rd mags.

one thing about the hk pistols is their trigger configuration can be changed with simple tools and moderate complexity. you could get the hk45c in standard da/sa then get a lem kit and try shooting it in light lem configuration.

i am one who raves about the lem. the hybrid/match lem in my usp combat competition (TO ME) is the best trigger in a polymer pistol, bar none, and is only second to a tuned 1911 trigger. i have shot glocks with the various 3.5lb connectors and polished/tuned triggers, m&p's with a performance center sear, apex, etc.

the way i describe the lem is it is a precocked da/sa. your first shot is a long, smooth pull then subsequent shots are sa from a very short reset (learning to work the reset is key) with the option of letting the trigger fully forward to utilized the long, smooth pull. once broken in the initial trigger pull is like a slick revolver trigger.

here is a group i shot with a p30v2 standard lem, 50rds, 7yds as fast as i could pull the trigger and reload once i ran the mags dry:
http://imageshack.us/m/163/6038/p3050rd.jpg

if you do go the lem route do dry fire practice to get comfortable with it. remove the magazine and cycle the slide to precock the system. a lot of people do not do this when initially trying the weapon and they get put off by the hard, clunky second strike/uncocked trigger pull.

also, if you have not fired a hk before the sight setup on the hk is a cover up hold. you line up the dots and place the center dot covering up the point where you want the bullet to impact.

Thanks for the description of the lem,that was vary helpful.

There seems to be quite a few options concerning the trigger (maybe even to many for a beginner) am I right to assume that if I get the standard da/sa setup I could then try any of the other trigger systems they offer?

Also will the slide release from the usp45c fit on the Hk45c?

E-man930
05-19-11, 11:18
Once you shoot a LEM you never go back... all of my H&Ks are now match LEM (4.5lbs) +1 on the HK 45C, better gun than the USP 45C for ergonomics, almost useful rail, and interchangeable back straps. Throw on a set of Heinie's and paint the front blade orange and hit the range.

majette
05-19-11, 16:59
Thanks for the description of the lem,that was vary helpful.

There seems to be quite a few options concerning the trigger (maybe even to many for a beginner) am I right to assume that if I get the standard da/sa setup I could then try any of the other trigger systems they offer?

Also will the slide release from the usp45c fit on the Hk45c?

you can modify the trigger to any variant. lots of tutorials on the web and hk forums. a usp slide release will not interchange, the slide release is ambi on the hk45/45c. i think the one on the hk45/45c is better.

E-man930
05-19-11, 17:21
You could pop in any of the P2000 series slide releases...

jeffreywt
05-19-11, 17:42
These days all I shoot are Glock's and 1911's. I don't like the sloppiness in DA/SA triggers (inherent in the FP block design).

With that said, HK makes fantastic pistols. I've owned many. I still have a USP45 lurking somewhere.

Having owned the USP Compact, if it were my hands making the decision, I would say HK45C over USP Compact. The ergonomic improvements and standard rail are worth the extra cost.

nobody knows
05-20-11, 18:43
Thanks for all the replies everyone. IV decided to go with the 45c in da/sa. Do they make these with an od/fde frame?

one
05-20-11, 19:16
As far as I know they have not released anything but basic black and don't intend to.

SiGfever
05-20-11, 19:59
Thanks for all the replies everyone. IV decided to go with the 45c in da/sa. Do they make these with an od/fde frame?

Near the bottom...

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2120089642/p/11

one
05-20-11, 23:24
Those are all pre production models.