PDA

View Full Version : power residue on fired brass

platoonDaddy
05-17-11, 13:13
Re-loaded my 1st batch of 9mm and when I fire the RL's the brass all have power residue on the casing. This doesn't happen with factory fired ammo, therefore this newbie reloader is screwing something up.

Couldn't wait for my mail order shipment of 115gr FMJ bullets, therefore visited BassPro & purchased Hornady .355" #35557 115gr FMJ RN. Following Hodgdon Cartridge Load Recipe Report for 115gr FMJ;

Selected 5.1Grs of WSF powder (range is 4.9 - 5.7)

Any suggestions/recommendations?

markm
05-17-11, 14:15
You mean they're blackened a little on the outside? I get that all the time with 9mm. It's partly because the load isn't so hot that the brass fire forms to the chamber. Thus, a little blowback gets on the outside of the casing.

DeusExMachina
05-17-11, 14:17
My G19 does this with factory Federal. Probably not something to worry about.

platoonDaddy
05-17-11, 16:29
thanks for the info, never noticed the blow back with factory ammo only my reloads. Of course when one 1st starts reloading it is like walking on thin ice (can only speak for myself & I am on thin ice). :)

again thanks

VirginiaTactical
05-17-11, 19:32
Its quite normal. My reloads also have some powder burns, but it also depends on the type of powder use. I use Winchester 231 and it leaves some nasty blackness on my casings.

The important things are as follows:

1) They pass case gauge

2) They are withing acceptable OAL

3) They have safe FPS

4) You enjoy the process!

Reloading never saved me money .. it just let me shoot a ton more with the same budget!

markm
05-17-11, 20:34
I use Winchester 231 and it leaves some nasty blackness on my casings.

Same here.