PDA

View Full Version : steel case ammo pistol?

NC_DAVE
05-17-11, 21:11
How much could steel case ammo (wolf , tula.......) effect my pistol if used?
Can the effects be worse on a pistol then a rifle or about the same. Could the effect not be as bad? Any insight would be appreciated.
I have a glock 19 and S&W M&P 9, and 45.

Magsz
05-17-11, 21:26
Steel ammo is NOT bad.

It is simply inferior to brass cased ammo.

Having said that, they both go bang and they both operate just fine for training provided you know what you're doing and your gun is properly set up.

In the context of a pistol...any top tier duty gun is going to chew through this ammo without issue.

NC_DAVE
05-17-11, 21:31
I was not a worried about FTF or FTE, more about the long term effects with parts breaking. I carry my 45 on duty and my m&p 9 everyday off duty. I would hate for either to fail if I need them. But I also could afford more ammo using steel case for range time.

Nephrology
05-17-11, 21:48
The only part that I can imagine would be very affected by steel cased ammunition would be the extractor. You should have 1 or 2 on hand anyway- they are cheap parts and do need periodic replacement.

I would not be very concerned.

KhanRad
05-17-11, 21:49
As others have said, works fine, but doesn't produce as tight of a seal around the chamber so it makes your firearm more dirty and degrades accuracy. However, iron is more plentiful around the world than the components of brass alloy, so it is cheaper and easier to mass produce for major world conflicts. In WWII, the Germans used steel cases heavily and it worked pretty well for them for general issue ammo. The Russians and Chinese still consider it ideal for general issue too in the 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 9x39, and 5.8x42, but use brass cased ammo for special weapons like marksmen rifles.

KhanRad
05-17-11, 21:51
The only part that I can imagine would be very affected by steel cased ammunition would be the extractor. You should have 1 or 2 on hand anyway- they are cheap parts and do need periodic replacement.

I would not be very concerned.

Not as much as you might think. The steel used in steel cased ammo is very soft. Steel is incredibly versitile, as it can be made as hard as 3/4 of a diamond, or almost as soft as brass. It's harder on AR extractors because with time it fouls up the chamber with more carbon than brass cases, and due to the tight tolerances, it makes extraction harder and thus, harder on the extractor. Not an issue if you brush out the chamber every 1000rds.

NC_DAVE
05-17-11, 21:54
I didn't think it would but wanted to get some feed back first. Thanks for all your comments. Time to go buy more. Maybe I will be able to get my grip under control now.

HK45
05-18-11, 10:53
As cheap as ammo is at Wally World I don't see the point in using moderately cheaper crappier ammo.

Nephrology
05-18-11, 11:06
As cheap as ammo is at Wally World I don't see the point in using moderately cheaper crappier ammo.

If you want to buy tons of it in bulk online Wolf gives you big savings over WWB.

NC_DAVE
05-18-11, 14:28
WWB ?

markm
05-18-11, 14:43
WWB ?

Win White Box.

polymorpheous
05-18-11, 14:44
WWB ?

Winchester White Box.

100 round value pack of 9mm retails around my parts for $23.

NC_DAVE
05-18-11, 15:52
DUURRR, sorry.
Is there any place that would have steel case really cheap. Or is cheaper than dirt, sportsmans guide going to be a pretty standard price?
I know the Walmart by me sells Tula.

badness
05-18-11, 20:12
you guys are lucky. Where i live, we can't order ammo online because it has to be shipped by air. (And that's a no no), OR shipped via freight ship with a ridiculous hazmat fee...which basically doubles the cost of the ammo...litterally. So i'm stuck with buying locally. The local shops here all have a monopoly on our ammo supply. They pretty much only supply brass cased stuff (talking .223/9mm/.40/.45acp), then when we go shooting at the ONLY public range we got, we're required to pick up the brass and put them in a bucket.....then the RO's either use it to reload or give it to shop owners so THEY can reload, or sell them. I personally would be buying loads of steel cased stuff if they were widely available.

As far as where to buy ammo online, maybe you can try bulkammo.com?