PDA

View Full Version : Building a NJ legal M4

acaixguard
05-18-11, 09:06
I am looking to build a rifle that is NJ legal, and also as conforming to what an M4 is as much as possible. For those not familiar with the communistic laws of NJ, here are some key points that a rifle must comply with...

- No folding/collapsible stocks
- No flash suppressor
- No bayonet lug
- Barrel minimum of 16"
- No magazines with a capacity greater than 15 rounds

I currently have a Bushmaster "post ban" shorty carbine with an A3 upper receiver from years ago. Would this be a good platform for converting the rifle to M4 standards as much as possible, or am I better off getting a new lower and upper receiver?

Thanks for any advice! I've only dabbled a tad with long guns, as I primarily shoot pistols. But getting more and more interested in M4s lately.

TOrrock
05-18-11, 09:26
Colt MT6400C and don't look back.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1975

acaixguard
05-18-11, 09:37
Thanks, but hasn't the MT6400 been discontinued?

TOrrock
05-18-11, 09:43
It's listed on their website:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/MatchTarget.aspx

Seeing as how it's about the only high quality factory AR available to NY, NJ, and MA residents, I don't see them discontinuing it.

fiddly_foo
05-18-11, 09:49
I live in CT and had no problem finding almost any AR I wanted to use here. Just get the stock pinned and have a muzzle break on it instead of the FH, if you get one that has a Bayonet lug have it grinded off and a magpul 10/30 pmag and your allset ..

Alex V
05-18-11, 10:08
As mentioned, you really can have anything you like within the confined of the law, you do not have to settle on an already prescribed set of parts.

There are a number of stocks that will work from A1/A2/Sully to a pinned anything. I have a pinned MOE and ACS.

If you don't want to worry about a bayonet lug, you can have it taken off or build a rifle with a low profile gas block, that way there is no lug to worry about in the first place.

I know of at least 3 sources online for NJ legal PMags, I have mags from 2 of them and they work perfectly. Will try some from the third soon.

As for the muzzle device, the Battle Comp has been getting great praise here, I have one on my SPR close and love it. The BC1.5 comes with a hole already drilled for pinning to a barrel and is long enough to make a 14.5" barrel legal length.

Don't compromise! Build what you like and simply take the steps to make it legal, or there are any number of top tier companies that will adjust the rifle to make it legal. As you saw Colt already makes one for the sucky states, Noveske will pin a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider if you need it and so on.

Good Luck!

Alex V
05-18-11, 10:09
magpul 10/30 pmag and your allset ..

We can have 15 round mags... lol ;)

acaixguard
05-18-11, 10:12
Thanks for the advice!

Going back to an earlier question though, should I just go with my Bushmaster platform and swap out parts accordingly? Or is this considered a poor platform for building out an M4?

Alex V
05-18-11, 16:38
Thanks for the advice!

Going back to an earlier question though, should I just go with my Bushmaster platform and swap out parts accordingly? Or is this considered a poor platform for building out an M4?

Most here do not like BM.

I mistakenly bought one before knowing better. Since reading this site I have tried to correct some of the short-comings and have had a pretty trouble free rifle.

Take the fallowing advice with a grain of salt since I am still a noob; If you already have the BM you can sell it, or try to remedy some of the easily fixed problems. If you are going to do into changing barrels and so on you may as well just sell it off and start from scratch.

Things like changing the bolt, or at least upgrading with one of BCM's kits, staking the gas key on the carried as well as staking the castle nut can all be done quickly and relatively inexpensively. You could also ream the chamber if it is not a true 5.56. But if you are going to much further than that you may as well build a new rifle.

You could just sell the upper and build a new one, the lower is not that bad aside for the commercial receiver extension, but with the pinned stock, unless you find the length to be uncomfortable, you may as well keep it.

gew98
05-18-11, 16:54
I am looking to build a rifle that is NJ legal, and also as conforming to what an M4 is as much as possible. For those not familiar with the communistic laws of NJ, here are some key points that a rifle must comply with...

- No folding/collapsible stocks
- No flash suppressor
- No bayonet lug
- Barrel minimum of 16"
- No magazines with a capacity greater than 15 rounds

I currently have a Bushmaster "post ban" shorty carbine with an A3 upper receiver from years ago. Would this be a good platform for converting the rifle to M4 standards as much as possible, or am I better off getting a new lower and upper receiver?

Thanks for any advice! I've only dabbled a tad with long guns, as I primarily shoot pistols. But getting more and more interested in M4s lately.

I was born and raised in New Jerkistan... I jumped ship in 93...never looked back . They were'nt gettin my M1 carbines or AR's I bought back in the early/mid 80's..no sir !.
I though pistol grips were taboo there still ?.

Njbudman81
05-18-11, 18:02
There is a store in merchantville nj called rayco armory that sells pmags blocked for 15 rounds.

here is my nj legal s&w m&p15 with the mags. These are 20 blocked for 15 but he also has 30 round ones.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/njbudman81/guns/34d57be6.jpg

rubberneck
05-18-11, 18:13
If I still lived there I would buy a good quality complete lower (or build one) with a fixed stock. From there I'd order one of these bad boys with a pinned 1.5 battlecomp and never look back.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-14%20ddl12.htm