PDA

View Full Version : 21 findings about AR owners

rob_s
05-18-11, 10:58
Explains a lot about the traffic here in the last two years.

http://www.shootingwire.com/story/237449

Cincinnatus
05-18-11, 11:11
It should add that 70-80% are ARFCOM gurus, and that the definition of "reliable" to most of these is whether or not it has a Bushmaster snake on the side--and only those with it are GTG.

Doc Safari
05-18-11, 11:35
I found this interesting:

"The typical MSR owner is 35-plus years old, married and has some college education."

I read somewhere that the typical first-time motorcycle buyer is middle aged also.

ReaperAZ
05-18-11, 11:44
I found this interesting:

"The typical MSR owner is 35-plus years old, married and has some college education."

I always knew my mother said I was special.....I didn't know it was because I was atypical. :jester:

Shiz
05-18-11, 11:54
i gotta admit, i fit into most of those stats. I was so enthralled with the MSR...lol...that I dropped everything and started working in the industry.

Todd.K
05-18-11, 11:58
http://www.superlyrics.com/lyrics/kGRU0UsLjg@H@h/Statistician's_Blues_lyrics_by_Todd_Snider.html

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-18-11, 12:01
"are among the most passionate gun owners" I want this changed to pig headed and arrogant know it all's . (just some experiences from the range)

Cobra66
05-18-11, 12:17
ARs (or the MSR) have certainly hit the shooting scene hard. At my range at which I volunteer as an RSO on our public days, a general rule of thumb is that 50% of the rifle shooters are shooting an AR platform rifle - and this is in Kalifornia where they are "supposedly" banned. And more and more people are shooting these rifles, a few years back, the Fridays I worked were pretty much low key, now there is often time a waiting list to get on the rifle line.

Another good point of this article is mentioning that ALL sporting rifles evolved from military weapons. A few months ago an old Elmer Fudd type popped off to me about all the kids firing these "assault weapons" in a tone that implied that his bolt action was superior since it was not a war weapon. I asked him if he really though that Mauser designed his action for deer hunting?

I agree that the number of less than educated noobs who over accessorize their ninja assault gun can be maddening at times, but it is overall a good trend that so many have bought into the AR platform. I dare say that the black gun that was considered somewhat taboo 20 years ago when I bought my first one is now mainstream. And with that said, a lot harder to ban.

Cincinnatus
05-18-11, 12:19
Todd K., funny stuff! :lol:

Boss Hogg
05-18-11, 13:04
Gotta call BS on this one:

"25 percent of owners shot more than 1,000 rounds out of their MSR in the last 12 months."

rob_s
05-18-11, 13:20
Gotta call BS on this one:

"25 percent of owners shot more than 1,000 rounds out of their MSR in the last 12 months."

You too?

caelumatra
05-18-11, 14:17
39.5% of all statistics are made up.

80% of all people know that :p

I found this one tidbit to be conflicting. Maybe I read it wrong

71 percent of MSR owners use a scope or red-dot as their primary optic. Older owners prefer scopes; younger owners prefer red-dot optics.

The 3 most-owned accessories were a rifle sling (81 percent), soft carrying case (70 percent) and mounted rifle scope (68 percent).

Shouldn't the latter statistic be 71% instead of 68%?

Leads one to believe its all made up or the surveyed were lying :confused:

The Cat
05-18-11, 14:26
I have to call bullshit on: "One-third of MSR owners use a 30-plus round magazine most often in their MSR."

I'm thinking it'd be 3/4 at the bare-ass minimum.

Army Chief
05-18-11, 14:32
Please continue to develop this discussion with the site's quality standards in mind.

AC

Shiz
05-18-11, 15:44
LOL, i admit that I used to be a person that thought that ammo was a thing you bought once, and its last forever, especially 1k rounds.
20k later...oops

my friends/colleagues have it down. They take 1-3 boxes to our drills/classes, and just steal from those of us that bring a case.

"you have more than you need, mind if i grab some?" To which i reply, "yup, just keep tabs on what you owe me." They look all offended, and bring up that they bought me a coke on the way.

Holy crap, i just realized friends are A-holes. :D

Spiffums
05-18-11, 16:14
It should add that 70-80% are ARFCOM gurus, and that the definition of "reliable" to most of these is whether or not it has a Bushmaster snake on the side--and only those with it are GTG.

My GTG AR has a Bushmaster snake on the side....... BCM upper and bolt dipped in MagPul but it's a Bushy lower .....:jester:

Spiffums
05-18-11, 16:16
The 3 most-owned accessories were a rifle sling (81 percent), soft carrying case (70 percent) and mounted rifle scope (68 percent).

Is a sling, case and a sight really an "accessory" for the modern sporting rifle?

Code3Patriot
05-18-11, 16:40
Is a sling, case and a sight really an "accessory" for the modern sporting rifle?

To a retailer it is.

SomeOtherGuy
05-18-11, 16:47
"you have more than you need, mind if i grab some?" To which i reply, "yup, just keep tabs on what you owe me." They look all offended, and bring up that they bought me a coke on the way.

Each coke is worth 2 cartridges. A full mag = 14/15 cokes depending on your loading practices. A full day = 250+ cokes. That's a lot of coke.

badness
05-18-11, 17:38
Each coke is worth 2 cartridges. A full mag = 14/15 cokes depending on your loading practices. A full day = 250+ cokes. That's a lot of coke.

unless he was talking about the white powdery kind :rolleyes::rolleyes:

J/K :ph34r:

Army Chief
05-18-11, 17:48
unless he was talking about the white powdery kind :rolleyes::rolleyes:

J/K :ph34r:

Kidding or not, that's a party foul, brother.

AC

gew98
05-18-11, 17:53

That floored me. I had a buddy when I was working at Fort Knox whom had a pimped out 1911 pistol with black grips embossed with the punisher skull , and I gave him a bunch of light hearted ribbing about that. I decided mini-me needed to upgrade from his 22 bolt & pump rifles. So I found a guy local to me parting out his AR so he oculd buy a shazam bang "piston AR". Anyhow it's spikes lower with the 'big' punisher skull embossed on the R/S of the magwell. Man did I take some ribbing over that from him and the buddies...even though I bought it for mini-me and sight unseen for a steal of a price.
I do see on ARFCOM the guys do go a wee bit whacky on the retro forums and on the flipside so many that like to add every gadget or pimiplicious accessory to make it look and weigh enough to be a 240 bravo already !.

gew98
05-18-11, 18:00
Was it Mencken that said ' There are lies , damned lies , and then there are statistics".
I may be wrong on the author of that quote but I find it popping into my head often these days with the current IMPOTUS and all.

dgt
05-18-11, 18:17
29 percent of owners shoot their MSRs more than once per month.

Curious as to how many m4c members shoot more than once per month. This is something I never really thought much about so the percentage seemed low at first until I thought about it. I have a private range in my backyard so its very easy to find time. I assume it would be difficult to juggle family, work, and driving out to a shooting range often. I shoot my "MSR'S" at least twice a month and handguns see range time weekly.

gew98
05-18-11, 18:20
Curious as to how many m4c members shoot more than once per month. This is something I never really thought much about so the percentage seemed low at first until I thought about it. I have a private range in my backyard so its very easy to find time. I assume it would be difficult to juggle family, work, and driving out to a shooting range often. I shoot my "MSR'S" at least twice a month and handguns see range time weekly.

I'm in the same boat...26 acre impact area and a manhole cover at 200yds 16 foot off the ground. I even do night fires when I pull ou tthe sodium lamp , or just plain tracer bumpfire nationals in the dark. And I've got more deer than ever in the impact area.

badness
05-18-11, 19:52
I'm in the same boat...26 acre impact area and a manhole cover at 200yds 16 foot off the ground. I even do night fires when I pull ou tthe sodium lamp , or just plain tracer bumpfire nationals in the dark. And I've got more deer than ever in the impact area.

are you guys TRYING to make a grown man cry? :cray:

I live on this stupid rock called oahu and i have to drive litterally half way across the island to go to our only public shooting range and only range on the island that ranges out farther than 10 - 15 yards lol. Then when i get there, there's usually a waiting list, as most people are like myself and only have time to shoot on weekends. On top of that there's ridiculous rules we have to abide by, the hours suck and i'm starting to rant because my shooting life sucks :(.

Needless to say I'm one of those that DO NOT shoot more than 1000 rounds a year. (on rifles).

SpaceWrangler
05-18-11, 19:56

I live on this stupid rock called oahu and i have to drive litterally half way across the island to go to our only public shooting range and only range on the island that ranges out farther than 10 - 15 yards lol. Then when i get there, there's usually a waiting list, as most people are like myself and only have time to shoot on weekends. On top of that there's ridiculous rules we have to abide by, the hours suck and i'm starting to rant because my shooting life sucks :(.

Needless to say I'm one of those that DO NOT shoot more than 1000 rounds a year. (on rifles).

The range near Koko Head? That range was hinkie twenty-plus years ago. I feel your pain. The least I'd ever been shooting since turning 17 was when I was an Active-Duty Marine. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Stretch67/bluduh.gif

badness
05-18-11, 20:00
The range near Koko Head? That range was hinkie twenty-plus years ago. I feel your pain. The least I'd ever been shooting since turning 17 was when I was an Active-Duty Marine. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Stretch67/bluduh.gif

Yes, kokohead shooting complex. Or should i say kokohead shitty complex :jester:

20+ years ago huh? I was still playing with cap guns from 7-11 back then. ROFL.

SpaceWrangler
05-18-11, 20:32
Yes, kokohead shooting complex. Or should i say kokohead shitty complex :jester:

20+ years ago huh? I was still playing with cap guns from 7-11 back then. ROFL.

I went there once in '86 with a Randall stainless 1911 I had at the time. The guy running the pistol range wanted the pistol's serial number before he'd let me go to the line. I thought that was kind of ridiculous, but he claimed it was range policy. But a couple numerals of the SN were hidden under the top of the grip, so he broke out a screwdriver and started disassembling my pistol. I wouldn't let him...

"Don't take my pistol apart."

"I need to verify the serial number."

"You will not take my pistol apart."

And I left. I never did shoot there.

duece71
05-18-11, 20:49

Really?? Wanna come over to my neck of the woods and experience what Noah and his ark went through??? No, I am not kidding, I have not seen blue sky in 3 weeks. And, yes, we have had a lot of rain too.:rolleyes: Enjoy Oahu for the rest of us. :p

badness
05-18-11, 20:51
lol. I think they may have eased up a little since then i guess. I have never shot at the pistol range runned by the state, as i need to have my own target frame (which i'm too lazy to build after already building 2 rifle frames). When i shoot handguns there, i usually just go to the club run "sillohuette" range where there are steel targets set up at 50, 75 and 100 yards (which sucks for handguns :mad:). Neither ranges has required me to give them my serial #'s yet.

blackgt85
05-19-11, 00:38
"MSR owners consider accuracy and reliability to be the 2 most important things to consider when buying a MSR."

The reasons the majority bought DPMS, Oly, Bushmaster, RRA, and all the other "quality" brands. LMAO!!!!!!

Justin

Axcelea
05-19-11, 18:03
Rather funny reading these comments, especially the ones from people who appear to be illiterate and incapable of actually knowing what different points of the article actually say. Don't worry though I am sure you know more than me in certain areas that usually involve "who gives a damn", "so you say", etc and I am sure that many shoot their "msrs" more than me but at least I am functionally literate:smile:

badness
05-19-11, 18:19
Rather funny reading these comments, especially the ones from people who appear to be illiterate and incapable of actually knowing what different points of the article actually say. Don't worry though I am sure you know more than me in certain areas that usually involve "who gives a damn", "so you say", etc and I am sure that many shoot their "msrs" more than me but at least I am functionally literate:smile:

lol and this post serves what purpose? You do not outline anything specific, just to insult an undisclosed amount of people with your vague accusation that people are illiterate?

Axcelea
05-19-11, 19:06
lol and this post serves what purpose? You do not outline anything specific, just to insult an undisclosed amount of people with your vague accusation that people are illiterate?

Which is nothing more than what the majority of the posters in this thread have done, attack others with vague accusations.

If I must though there seems to be a some of confusion of averages and owning vs purchasing (35 years is the average age of owners, not hard core evidence of a bunch of people doing mid life crisis purchases), what the facts of the article factor in vs what they do (poking fun of using accessories when the article pretty much considers anything an accessory), failing to notice that one fact combines things and another splits them apart, and things like that. Do not get me wrong, there is plenty of plain old fashioned making fun of people as well and some decent conversation about ranges which actually has some point to it, kinda funny the derailment is the best part.

In the end neither of my two posts do much of a thing and it wouldn't be a bad thing for them to disappear, much like this entire thread. I wouldn't say anything if it was more honest and just titled "why those other than myself suck".

If upon request to get rid of my posts I will do so, just some people need to not be so trigger happy and trying to grab anything out of an article to make fun of others.

SpaceWrangler
05-19-11, 19:09
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Vpyt5Oe-GS0/TX768tbjZ3I/AAAAAAAACY8/WIdk-WW1heQ/butthurt.png

Axcelea
05-19-11, 19:14
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Vpyt5Oe-GS0/TX768tbjZ3I/AAAAAAAACY8/WIdk-WW1heQ/butthurt.png

For some reason diarrhea comes to mind.

DJ_Skinny
05-19-11, 19:16

:blink: Did you write the article? Why so defensive? They're just questioning the accuracy of the statistics in the article given the typical AR "expert" online and at gun shows.

ETA: This derailment is not the best part of this thread. I probably should have left it alone.

badness
05-19-11, 19:18
For some reason diarrhea comes to mind.

i don't think that's butthurt. That's buttrumble. :jester:

MassMark
05-19-11, 19:22
Not to take away from the functional literacy festival, but I view the AR as an equivalent of the musket of our forefathers. I think everyone should own one and be proficient with its use... Sadly, I see too few shooters who share this view, but I remain hopeful....

Army Chief
05-19-11, 19:27
Next stop, Stupidville.

Let's just agree to stop the train before we reach that particular destination, gentlemen.

AC