PDA

View Full Version : Opinion burris AR-332 vs Eotech 512

christcorp
05-18-11, 11:19
Looking at getting another AR and set of sights. Strictly based on use on an AR, I was wondering people's opinions on using the Burris AR-332. Especially compared to the Eotech 512. Price is similar. The Burris AR-332 is about $308 and the Eotech 512 is $368 from Sportsman's Guide.com. Lots of great opinions about the Eotech. Not as much heard about the Burris. Thing I like about it, is that if the battery is dead or taken out, it still has the reticle. It also has a built in bullet compensator out to 500 yards, and it's calibrated for the .223/5.56. It's also a built in 3x magnification.

The Eotech 512,..... well, everyone pretty much knows about it. So; being the price is basically the same, is it better to go with the Eotech 512; or does the Burris AR-332 have enough pros going for it to make it a better choice? Definitely a personal preference question for sure. Just curious if there's a lot of Burris AR-332 fans out there that would suggest it over the Eotech 512. Thanks....

TOMTOM
05-18-11, 13:00
There are plenty people much more knowledgeable than me, but comparing a Red Dot vs. a fixed magnified optic really isn't apples to apples.

What is the intended use for the rifle its going on?

christcorp
05-18-11, 13:46
There are plenty people much more knowledgeable than me, but comparing a Red Dot vs. a fixed magnified optic really isn't apples to apples.

What is the intended use for the rifle its going on?

I hear what you're saying, but I think they can be compared. My use is the same as the overwhelming majority of people with an AR/AK type rifle. Shoot inanimate objects (Targets); possibly an occasional varmint coyote, prairie dog, etc...; and a possible additional home defense weapon.

Home defense really doesn't require any particular optics. That's why god created lasers. I have very accurate lasers and iron sights if I really needed that 20-30 foot shot. But even a 3x optic isn't that bad for short distances. Would the holo, reflex, red-dot, type sight be better for home defense? Probably. It's definitely better for CQB. But most of us are no longer in the military, and our requirements aren't the same as the military. So while the eotech is definitely better for an indoor or CQB environment, I think the Burris AR-332 would be better for the 99% of what the average AR owner is going to do with their rifle.

That's why I'm hoping for an owner of the AR-332 to give input. See if they regret their choice, or if they see and major negatives.

christcorp
05-18-11, 14:58
I had an epiphany and realized that the Burris AR-332 is most likely a No-Go. My reason is: Being it's a fixed 3x magnification, I think that would eliminate an co-witness with my BUIS. The only option would be to use a "Quick-Disconnect" mount which is available for this optic. Any opinions?

hikeeba
05-19-11, 11:39
Hmmm...

Yes, you won't be able to co-witness your irons with the Burris AR-332. BUT, think about the actual shooting you plan on doing. It sounds like you will be mostly doing casual shooting with your rifle. In that application, carry a wrench , screwdriver, or whatever tool you need to remove the AR-332, and take it off when you want to. If your AR is going to be your A#1 go-to home defense firearm that will sit propped up against your bedpost every night, maybe consider leaving the AR-332 off unless you are in a controlled shooting environment.

Like the Burris AR-332, the EOTech has a bolt-on, non-QD base. Unlike the AR-332, you can co-witness your irons through the EOTech, and you could keep it on the rifle all the time.

If you want a magnified optic + the ability to conveniently access your irons, you could do:

-Burris AR-332 + Burris QD mount = less than or about $400.
-EOTech 512 + 3x magnifier + QD or flip mount = probably around $500*, but could be more. (*I was using Primary Arms equipment for the magnifier setup estimate)

If you're worried about the home defense angle, perhaps consider running irons and a good flashlight rather than an optic. I don't know how large your home is, but if I had to raise an AR towards anyone in my house, I wouldn't even bother trying to use irons or an optic. If you're really worried about the home defense angle, maybe consider a shotgun instead of the AR as a go-to firearm. If you don't have a shotty, a Rem 870 can be had for about the same price as the optics you're considering.

Edit: I just re-read your original post. If the optics you're considering are going on a second rifle, I wouldn't be too concerned in the short term about quick-disconnect mounts. If you have two AR-type rifles, set one up with the optics setup of your choosing, and keep the other as irons only go-to rifle. You can always tweak the setups on both rifles down the road as you see fit.

FWIW...

christcorp
05-19-11, 13:37
I've got nice irons on all my rifles, so if I was to get the Burris AR-332, iron sights might as well be removed. Or, I'd have to remove the AR-332 when I didn't want it. I have a red-dot with a 2x magnification, and it works fine for co-witness. But once you get to 3x, I hear it's pretty difficult to see the front sight. So, I've got to rethink this. Probably heading for an Eotech.

Home defense, I'm not too worried about. My AR is not my primary home defense weapon. Many people think it's the perfect home defense weapon. For me; AND ONLY ME; I prefer other choices. I've got a very large house, and I have numerous guns spread out throughout the house. Not because I'm paranoid. I'm not. But if I've got the space, and that many guns "3 safes full", why have them all in one place? I've got 4 pistols that are my home defense weapons. I also have a 12 gauge that is also in that category. Would I use the AR if it was the closest? Yes. But that's why I have lasers on these weapons too. I don't want to be looking down sights in the dark. I want both eyes on the target at all times.

Anyway; I've got so many optics on every rifle I own. I've got $30 tasco's and $1000 zeiss. I've even got some middle of the cost road for some reflex sights. And Eotech is definitely more than i need, but then again, 80%+ of everything i have that's gun oriented is More than i NEED. I'll probably go with the Eotech. I like the 512. I'll just have to wait until Sportsmansguide.com has them in stock again. Member's price is $368 with free shipping. The cheapest I've seen else ware is around $390 + S/H. I can afford the difference. Actually, i can afford pretty much anything they could make. But the reason i can afford such things, is because I've always been a smart investor, and even smarter spender. It would go against my nature to spend more simply because I can. Anyway; I think the Eotech 512 or XPS2 is the way to go. Thanks... mike.....