PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Shooting Glasses

signal5delta
05-18-11, 15:27
I am going to have my eyes checked to see If I need glasses for distance. I already use reading glasses.
I have looked at prescription shooting glasses,Wiley-X,and they seem to run about 400 dollars up and that is quite a bit of change. Oh,I know my eyes are worth it but that is a lot of money for shooting glasses.
I am an occasional shooter,I have rifles and handguns. Could you help me with some input to what would be a less expensive way to go?
I could just use RX glasses and go from there. Thanks in advance for your help.
Jim

badness
05-18-11, 15:38
are you looking at special shooting glasses because A) you need them to see clearly and B) you need some type of safety glasses because you're shooting a firearm?

or is it for some other reason?

If it's for the reason that i stated, you could just pick up a pair of oakley prescription glasses. Their lenses are impact resistant and should be able to protect your eyes from flying spent casings or splatter ricochet. (Just be sure you get the lenses from OAKLEY)

By doing this, you can just wear your every day glasses and also use them as shooting safety glasses. (Which is what i do).

shootist~
05-18-11, 15:44
http://sportglasses.com/

I've used these guys for 30+ years. Call them up every two or three years and give them my new prescription and they send me new lenses for the frames. About $200 for new lenses, but I remember when it was half that. Frames last me about 8 years or so and add another ~$100, IIRC.

I'm now in no-line bi-focals, but the shooting glasses are distance only. Works very well - the focus part is huge, including head down on the stock. They work for pistol, rifle and shotgun.

Speak to them on the phone for best results and recommended lens colors. I like Lite Target Orange (especially for Clays), but sometimes switch to Medium Rose for really bright days.

ETA: If you just stay with regular glasses, try to get a larger/taller size. Otherwise you will be looking through the top of the frames when down on a stock.